Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 hours ago, craig said:

The other two on the roster are Previlon and Jack Heflin. 

Previlon stayed on the 65-man roster and was added to the regular roster for several games.  Previlon got some favorable camp comments last summer, said to be pretty quick, good feet, and to have good flexibility and bend.  What the real guy is now I don't know, but he lists at 6'5" but only 287.  (Roster lists Keke at 288, for comparison sake.).   I get the sense that Previlon might be a good movement/agility guy, with some athleticism.  Probably not going to be a massive run-plug heavyweight like Slaton or Snacks or Pickett or Jolly.  But I'd assume he's the next man up, and will be competing with Slaten, Lancaster, and Lowry for a spot.  It's not impossible that Previlon would win a 53-spot and that Slaten would get placed on the 65-man roster via PS.  

Heflin profiles as a strong, run-defense-oriented guy, too.  Not sure how he'll do in pros, but he played a lot of run-defense in college, and the scouting reports describe him as strong.  Not a long guy who's going to be knocking down passes, but some of the shorter-stockier guys do well with pad-level and function well. He's got a chance to surprise.  Presumably he's targeted for PS, but surprises happen.  

Last year, the Packers averaged ~2.1 DL-per-snap.  again, not sure how Barry might shift that, maybe it will increase a little, maybe not.  But I'd guess that with on average ~2 DL/snap, that 5 DL on the 53 with 1-2 more on the PS seems likely.  

Agree with you craig that Previlon is a sleeper to make the 53, him being 290ish doesn't concern me at all. 

Heflin seems like Lancaster 2.0. 

Disagree about Slaten to the PS. There is just a shortage of large athletic DL in the world and he would never make it through waivers, somebody would gladly redshirt him on the back of their roster for a season. We need to look no further then the example of Anthony Rush last season, a large man who had proven that he couldn't play, yet was claim 3 times last season because teams just needed bodies. Slaten would need to really stink it up to not make the 53. 

On 6/23/2021 at 1:58 PM, R T said:

Agree with you craig that Previlon is a sleeper to make the 53, him being 290ish doesn't concern me at all. 

Heflin seems like Lancaster 2.0. 

Disagree about Slaten to the PS. There is just a shortage of large athletic DL in the world and he would never make it through waivers, somebody would gladly redshirt him on the back of their roster for a season. We need to look no further then the example of Anthony Rush last season, a large man who had proven that he couldn't play, yet was claim 3 times last season because teams just needed bodies. Slaten would need to really stink it up to not make the 53. 

Yeah Slaton fits a niche that we haven’t really invested draft capital into but could use.  With his size and upside, he makes the 53.

I don’t think Lancaster or Previlon would be in any danger of getting poached on the PS. I hope that room is strong enough to place one of them there.  

Edited by Refugee

UCLA Athletics  -    The only John Mackey Award winner in UCLA football history, Marcedes Lewis has had a successful 15-year @NFL career, making the Pro Bowl in 2010, and is showing no signs of slowing down with the Packers. Welcome to the Hall of Fame, Marcedes!  #UCLAHoF2021

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Leader said:

G.T Bobby Thompson -  Report: Packers and WR Devante Adams are expected to negotiate a “massive” extension that will make him the highest paid WR in the NFL per ESPN.

Numbers being thrown around are $28-$30m per season. He is on a $16m now for this year, I'm guess it will be a three year extension for $84m, which makes it a four year deal averaging $25m per season. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Numbers being thrown around are $28-$30m per season. He is on a $16m now for this year, I'm guess it will be a three year extension for $84m, which makes it a four year deal averaging $25m per season. 

I've not seen any numbers....but know one thing, I wouldnt want to be Russ Ball!

I cant wait till the cap gets back to its normal annual increases. These contracts are like fitting a jigsaw puzzle 2-3 years out. The bottom falling out on the cap....has everything screwed up.

22 minutes ago, Leader said:

I've not seen any numbers

G.T Bobby Thompson
@BThomps81
4h
I expect the extension between the #Packers and WR Devante Adams to be around $28-30M per season.

Same dude who started the story saying this.

2 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

G.T Bobby Thompson
@BThomps81
4h
I expect the extension between the #Packers and WR Devante Adams to be around $28-30M per season.

LOL - I knew that info....I'd posted it :)
What I meant is that I've not seen anything else.

2 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

G.T Bobby Thompson
@BThomps81
4h

YUCK! I love Davante, but you can't pay a WR that kind of money. I guess it all depends on the guaranteed money. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Old Guy said:

YUCK! I love Davante, but you can't pay a WR that kind of money. I guess it all depends on the guaranteed money. 

Agreed please GB don't set the bar like that. Adams is good but 28 M per year good is a terrible deal. What will we have to pay Alexander $50 a year. Let him walk get a 3rd rounder and start over at the WR with 2 more rooks next year.

8 hours ago, PACKRULE said:

Agreed please GB don't set the bar like that. Adams is good but 28 M per year good is a terrible deal. What will we have to pay Alexander $50 a year. Let him walk get a 3rd rounder and start over at the WR with 2 more rooks next year.

I think they would have to be betting on a huge cap rise in 2023.  If we are saying 84m for three years,  the 2022 cap hit would have to be very low as we currently heavily in the red.  So you would be looking at 35m a year for the following years. 

Just don't think its worth it. Maybe if Rodgers was QB but if its Love just get him his own guys.