Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Aaron Nagler -   Packers announce "Kickoff Weekend" is back and they will host a free concert outside Lambeau Field on Sunday, Sept. 19th in advance of the home opener. The name of the artist performing, details of the concert event and full weekend festivities will be announced in early August.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Aaron Nagler -   Packers announce "Kickoff Weekend" is back and they will host a free concert outside Lambeau Field on Sunday, Sept. 19th in advance of the home opener. The name of the artist performing, details of the concert event and full weekend festivities will be announced in early August.

Never heard of Announced in Early August.  Hope they are good.

• Like 1

Bill Huber / SI -  Before the start of training camp last year, with the nation in the throes of the COVID-19 pandemic, Green Bay Packers President Mark Murphy said the team was entering “unchartered waters.”

With the prospect of playing games in empty or mostly empty stadiums, Murphy predicted the financial impact from the pandemic would be “significant.” Sure enough, the wrath of COVID had a dramatic impact on the team’s bottom line. With local revenue crashing, the Packers lost $38.8 million in the last fiscal-year, the team reported on Friday.

“It was the first time we haven’t had a profit in over 20 years,” Murphy said. The last time, he said, was before the major stadium renovation completed in 2003.

With empty stadiums throughout the regular season and drastically reduced traffic at ancillary businesses such as the Packers Pro Shop and stadium tours, the team’s local revenue plummeted from $210.9 million in fiscal-year 2020 to just $61.8 million in fiscal-year 2021. That’s a $149.1 million decrease, or 70.7 percent.

So, while national revenue grew by $13.2 million due in part to the expanded playoffs and team expenses dropped by $26.7 million, the team endured a negative financial swing of $109.1 million compared to the $70.3 profit from the previous fiscal-year.

The numbers are staggering, if not totally unexpected.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Zach Kruse -  According to PFF, Packers OLB Za'Darius Smith has a pass-rush win rate of 20.2 percent when rushing from the interior (inside the tackles) since arriving in Green Bay.

Honestly sort of surprised it's not higher.  Man just eats interior OL for lunch in the pressure package; too quick and too strong for most to block him man up, and even on double teams if the second man is even a step late Z is liable to split it and be in the backfield.  His hand fighting is just so brutal and fun to watch, it's the kind of thing I like to throw on when I'm feeling blue just to cheer up.  I can't imagine what Z clearing hands must feel like for the OL, but I assume there's a lot of post-game icing for both sides. 

I wish I had numbers, but I feel like they really didn't give Z the same number of 0-ish rushes that they did in 2019, which was part of the pass rush drop off in general.  With Gary really looking to take the next step and Preston in a "contract" year so to speak, I really hope they put Z in the middle in more of the pressure packages.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrBobGray said:

Honestly sort of surprised it's not higher.  Man just eats interior OL for lunch in the pressure package; too quick and too strong for most to block him man up, and even on double teams if the second man is even a step late Z is liable to split it and be in the backfield.  His hand fighting is just so brutal and fun to watch, it's the kind of thing I like to throw on when I'm feeling blue just to cheer up.  I can't imagine what Z clearing hands must feel like for the OL, but I assume there's a lot of post-game icing for both sides. 

I wish I had numbers, but I feel like they really didn't give Z the same number of 0-ish rushes that they did in 2019, which was part of the pass rush drop off in general.  With Gary really looking to take the next step and Preston in a "contract" year so to speak, I really hope they put Z in the middle in more of the pressure packages.  

I have no idea what's a good number from in there

Matt Schneidman -   Kevin King in three seasons (‘17, ‘18, ‘20) during which he missed at least five games to injury: 12 PBUs and 1 INT in 26 games

King in 2019: 15 PBUs and 5 INTs in 15 games

If he stays healthy, and that’s a huge if, Packers could have one of the NFL’s best secondaries.