Jump to content

Random Packer News & Notes


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Rodjahs12 said:

If we tag Adams I'd be looking to trade him to the highest bidder after. Really don't want a situation where he's deeply disgruntled the year after we do away with a disgruntled QB. Would obviously love to have him back as well but a full reset wouldn't bother me a bit.

If this season goes south the Packers could consider dealing him at the trade deadline.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Refugee said:

In a capped league, you have to do that to some extent. Identify your core and do not give out those expensive third contracts to aging, expensive and often very talented vets. If you play it right you have a young up and comer and the compensatory system will soften the blow.  Easier said than done and if you mess up, you have a giant hole at safety while Charles Woodson is still balling for someone else. 

You or anyone else on this forum does not have a strong understanding of the cap and it’s workings. Look at what KC is doing for crying out loud. 

Edited by Rainmaker90
Link to post
Share on other sites

Andrew Brandt -  I'm old enough to remember when Deshaun Watson, Russell Wilson and Aaron Rodgers were getting traded this offseason.  #relax

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

You or anyone else on this forum does not have a strong understanding of the cap and it’s workings. Look at what KC is doing for crying out loud. 

Yah, plenty of folks on here have a very deep understanding of how the salary cap works.  @CWood21 @Packerraymond  I mean, these two post early and often about how contracts work and how they fit into the cap.  Cwood did an amazing breakdown the year we signed P, Z, Amos and Turner.

Concerning KC....  Look at what Mahomes is costing under the cap right now.  I think it is like 4%.  Then look at GB with Rodgers, 20%.  No doubt we retain 'Vante if Rodgers reduces his cap hit by 16%.

Then look at KC on Spotrac.  They aren't paying any o-lineman anything.  Heck, Frank Clark is their biggest cap hit.  Tyreke Hill is counting 2X against the cap what Mahomes is.  Some ILB named Hitchens is making more than Mahomes against the cap this year.

Even Jones and Kelce are underpaid.  But those bills will come due.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing too surprising regarding the Davante situation but it won't stop the Packers from getting dunked on left and right by the media and fans. This is all part of the negotiation process. We heard the same stuff last year regarding Bak and Aaron Jones and how they ended talks only to eventually come to an agreement later.

Truth of the matter is this though....without knowing Rodgers future, GB wouldn't be able to figure out the structuring of the Davante deal or even if it's worth it. We already know how bad their cap situation is for 2022 and without a Rodgers restructure/extension, it complicates things further. If Rodgers is hellbent on not being here, it makes little sense for GB make a soon to be 29 yr old WR the highest paid at his position with the uncertainty of their QB situation.

 

Edited by deltarich87
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

You or anyone else on this forum does not have a strong understanding of the cap and it’s workings. Look at what KC is doing for crying out loud. 

I’m sure you know more than anyone here could possibly know but I feel safe in assuming you don’t know as much as Gute or Ball. KC has made some brilliant cap moves and draft picks but they will still have to pay the piper. Also, their currently highest paid player might be a terrible person and be in legal trouble. It does not make any sense to be crying out loud about players we have under contract going into the season. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Part of the issue with Adams besides Rodgers future in Green Bay is WR DeAndre Hopkins is getting around $27 mill.  The next 3 WRs are making around $20 mill.  Packers likely view Hopkins as an outlier.  Adams may want more than that?  

Thats a pretty big difference in price.  No wonder they shut it down for now.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

 

Kind of sad that a football outlet founded on being for the top analytical football mind would post something meant to rile up the kind of fan who walks up to your GM and declares he's taking the team to "the toilet bowl." 

Be better PFF.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Refugee said:

I’m sure you know more than anyone here could possibly know but I feel safe in assuming you don’t know as much as Gute or Ball. KC has made some brilliant cap moves and draft picks but they will still have to pay the piper. Also, their currently highest paid player might be a terrible person and be in legal trouble. It does not make any sense to be crying out loud about players we have under contract going into the season. 

You must have reading comprehension problems.  When I said ‘anyone else on this forum’ that includes me as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Yah, plenty of folks on here have a very deep understanding of how the salary cap works.  @CWood21 @Packerraymond  I mean, these two post early and often about how contracts work and how they fit into the cap.  Cwood did an amazing breakdown the year we signed P, Z, Amos and Turner.

Concerning KC....  Look at what Mahomes is costing under the cap right now.  I think it is like 4%.  Then look at GB with Rodgers, 20%.  No doubt we retain 'Vante if Rodgers reduces his cap hit by 16%.

Then look at KC on Spotrac.  They aren't paying any o-lineman anything.  Heck, Frank Clark is their biggest cap hit.  Tyreke Hill is counting 2X against the cap what Mahomes is.  Some ILB named Hitchens is making more than Mahomes against the cap this year.

Even Jones and Kelce are underpaid.  But those bills will come due.

All due respect to both of them, but they don’t have a lick of knowledge regarding the cap or The Packers cap compared to Russ Ball. And I’m sure both of them would agree. These guys are paid quite well. 

Edited by Rainmaker90
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

All due respect to both of them, but they don’t have a lick of knowledge regarding the cap or The Packers cap compared to Russ Ball. And I’m sure both of them would agree. These guys are paid quite well. 

Cap isn't that tough to understand. Pretty easy to see what the Chiefs are doing with Mahomes. He's young, they expect him to be there for at least 7-10 years. So his contract is a series of massive roster bonuses that they can either choose to pay and take the cap hit this year, or convert to SB and spread it out over the course of the contract. While he's young, they'll keep pushing the money out. The day will come where they won't.

Rodgers/Adams situation is not comparable as they are not young for their respective positions. You cant go dumping huge roster bonuses out there and creating massive dead cap hits.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Cap isn't that tough to understand. Pretty easy to see what the Chiefs are doing with Mahomes. He's young, they expect him to be there for at least 7-10 years. So his contract is a series of massive roster bonuses that they can either choose to pay and take the cap hit this year, or convert to SB and spread it out over the course of the contract. While he's young, they'll keep pushing the money out. The day will come where they won't.

Rodgers/Adams situation is not comparable as they are not young for their respective positions. You cant go dumping huge roster bonuses out there and creating massive dead cap hits.

The point is , there are ways to work around it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...