Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

9 minutes ago, Leader said:

Andy Herman -   The Packers have GOT to stop drafting the top players at their respective positions. It’s creating far too many contract disputes. You don’t see the Bears having to find money for their crappy draft picks.

:)

Finally! Some humor! Things were getting a little too tense around here...

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

You can twist it all you want. There are levels to things. If you think you’re as capable as these NFL executives who have the inside knowledge of the team and all of the details of how the cap works then you are naive. 

There hasn't been a bigger stretch to appeal to authority on this site ever. And I should know, I often defer to the experts.

But here, you are arguing about what YOU think the experts MIGHT do and inserting that assumption as reality and appealing to THAT. 

8 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

There hasn't been a bigger stretch to appeal to authority on this site ever. And I should know, I often defer to the experts.

But here, you are arguing about what YOU think the experts MIGHT do and inserting that assumption as reality and appealing to THAT. 

What I’m saying is that if we sign Davante to a big money contract , The executives will have a plan in place so that we’re not blowing up our future. That can be personnel or salary cap wise. These people know how to make it work. They have much more knowledge about this topic.  They have a lot more inside information on contracts and such.

Edited by Rainmaker90

1 hour ago, Rainmaker90 said:

All due respect to both of them, but they don’t have a lick of knowledge regarding the cap or The Packers cap compared to Russ Ball. And I’m sure both of them would agree. These guys are paid quite well. 

You moved the fence when you say "compared to Russ Ball".

Only 31 other guys have knowledge "compared to Russ Ball".  And that doesn't mean that others do not understand the cap.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

You moved the fence when you say "compared to Russ Ball".

Only 31 other guys have knowledge "compared to Russ Ball".  And that doesn't mean that others do not understand the cap.

Cmon man. You know the spirit to which I am saying . There are levels to understanding of things . 

You can have a descent understanding of the cap, but you’re not going to have the level of these executives. So if Russ Ball signs Davante then they most certainly have a plan to be in a good position cap wise. 

12 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

What I’m saying is that if we sign Davante to a big money contract , The executives will have a plan in place so that we’re not blowing up our future. That can be personnel or salary cap wise. These people know how to make it work. They have much more knowledge about this topic.  They have a lot more inside information on contracts and such.

You kindda missed PackerRay's point about age being the problem.

You referenced KC, you were refuted.  KC did what they did because of the youth of the players.

GB doesn't have that luxury with Adams.

What if I told you you had a choice.  You can choose to make Adams the highest paid receiver for the next 4 years.  Or you can have Alexander as the highest paid corner in the league for the next 7 years.

Who yah got, and why?

You referenced KC, you were refuted.  KC did what they did because of the youth of the players.

What if I told you you had a choice.  You can choose to make Adams the highest paid receiver for the next 4 years.  Or you can have Alexander as the highest paid corner in the league for the next 7 years.

Who yah got, and why?

On Madden I get keep everyone because I put Russ Ball in charge. 

• Like 1

Who yah got, and why?

I’ve said my points and have nothing more to say . These guys have plans roster/cap wise for not just 2021 but years down the road ; different versions of them too just in case things don’t go as planned. It’s not going to be a choice between Davante and an obvious resigning priority that Jaire is.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

This take is fine and I agree with all of it.

I feel like the safest and smartest option for Green Bay's front office is to treat this upcoming year as one last run at a championship.  Then, it's time for a rebuild.  Rodgers traded, Adams walks.  That money is spent resigning Alexander, Clark, Gary, Savage, basically anybody who might end up being a key piece for the next good Packers team.  Then, it's time to evaluate Love and determine whether Green Bay should be drafting to put pieces around him or looking for a new QB.

Hoping they find another way, but making it work from a cap perspective is not easy.  Sacrificing the future to take another run with Rodgers and Adams might sound attractive, but I've never been a fan of chasing a closing championship window.  The returns are marginal compared to the resources invested, and can have nagging implications for years.

EDIT:  Quick Google search shows that Clark already has a deal in place.  This is good.

Edited by VicPez

Just now, Rainmaker90 said:

What Davante’s play? We have him under contract this year and tag him next year ( top 5-10 money 16 mil ) who gives Davante a big contract after the next two years? Probably best if he gets a raise now, rather than a raise later, no?

He saw somebody write about 28 a year average and believed it. Any team that wants to contend cannot pay a WR that kind of money. It's insane!

If Rodgers is sitting out trade him now. Get a couple of nice picks and move on. Raiders are a nice landing spot too. That would actually make Adams happy as well. 

37 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I’ve said my points and have nothing more to say . These guys have plans roster/cap wise for not just 2021 but years down the road ; different versions of them too just in case things don’t go as planned. It’s not going to be a choice between Davante and an obvious resigning priority that Jaire is.

Too bad you have nothing more to say.  It is an interesting issue to discuss.  Cap Ramifications.  And you don't have to be a "Russ Ball" in order to have an opinion.

My opinion is that we are already in a precarious cap situation given the voidable year deals that we've given out.

The unknown thing out there is just how much the cap will go up this year with fans in the stadiums and new TV revenue.