Jump to content

Random Packer News & Notes


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

What Davante’s play? We have him under contract this year and tag him next year ( top 5-10 money 16 mil ) who gives Davante a big contract after the next two years? Probably best if he gets a raise now, rather than a raise later, no?

Now you are getting it!

So if you are negotiating a deal for 'Vante.  You have to look at his money this year, plus franchise tag money next year (with the franchise being guaranteed) as a starting point, then build off of that.

And this is why he will most likely sign a deal with GB.  We can and should give him more guaranteed money than he would get by taking a franchise tag, then shopping for a new deal at a new age and possibly new injury concerns.

What you are seeing now is negotiation posturing.  Something I know a smidge about.

First rule of negotiation, understanding if you have a partner across the table willing to negotiate.  That's a "yes" on both parties right now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Now you are getting it!

So if you are negotiating a deal for 'Vante.  You have to look at his money this year, plus franchise tag money next year (with the franchise being guaranteed) as a starting point, then build off of that.

And this is why he will most likely sign a deal with GB.  We can and should give him more guaranteed money than he would get by taking a franchise tag, then shopping for a new deal at a new age and possibly new injury concerns.

What you are seeing now is negotiation posturing.  Something I know a smidge about.

First rule of negotiation, understanding if you have a partner across the table willing to negotiate.  That's a "yes" on both parties right now.

You still aren’t understanding my point or you’re choosing to distort it. 
 

Bottom line is Davante isn’t going anywhere after this year. They’re able to afford him for this and next year . After that , his value drops significantly 

Edited by Rainmaker90
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Too bad you have nothing more to say.  It is an interesting issue to discuss.  Cap Ramifications.  And you don't have to be a "Russ Ball" in order to have an opinion.

My opinion is that we are already in a precarious cap situation given the voidable year deals that we've given out.

The unknown thing out there is just how much the cap will go up this year with fans in the stadiums and new TV revenue.

 

NFL and NFLPA have set the 2022 cap ceiling at $208M.   At least that is the report I remember seeing.   the 2023 and beyond cap is the bigger question as that could be pushing $230 in 2023 and $250 in 2024.   That makes moving the money around easier to do .... assuming that it is Love at QB1 and a cheap contract and Rodgers off the books.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rainmaker90 said:

You still aren’t understanding my point or you’re choosing to distort it. 
 

Bottom line is Davante isn’t going anywhere after this year. They’re able to afford him for this and next year . 

I'm not trying to distort anything.  I'm trying to give you credit for understanding the cap, although you are not named Russ Ball.

What I'm trying to tell you is that if your plan includes a franchise tag, that is a GREAT place to start negotiations and work off of that.

Though my guess is that 'Vante's side is trying to start with the Hopkins deals and work from there.  Hence the impasse.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, squire12 said:

NFL and NFLPA have set the 2022 cap ceiling at $208M.   At least that is the report I remember seeing.   the 2023 and beyond cap is the bigger question as that could be pushing $230 in 2023 and $250 in 2024.   That makes moving the money around easier to do .... assuming that it is Love at QB1 and a cheap contract and Rodgers off the books.

Yah, I was just looking at 2022 on Spotrac.  That's gonna be a tough number.  Even by releasing Preston and Lowry we do not get under the cap.

Probably going to see some contracts like Bakh and Clark re-done to push out some money.  Z, too.

I feel like I can be done.  Also feel like Ball's been a cap wizard before, and he'll have to be one again.

Course, financially things get easier if.....  #12 is off of the team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Yah, I was just looking at 2022 on Spotrac.  That's gonna be a tough number.  Even by releasing Preston and Lowry we do not get under the cap.

Probably going to see some contracts like Bakh and Clark re-done to push out some money.  Z, too.

I feel like I can be done.  Also feel like Ball's been a cap wizard before, and he'll have to be one again.

Course, financially things get easier if.....  #12 is off of the team.

Magnify Rick Moranis GIF

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'm not trying to distort anything.  I'm trying to give you credit for understanding the cap, although you are not named Russ Ball.

What I'm trying to tell you is that if your plan includes a franchise tag, that is a GREAT place to start negotiations and work off of that.

Though my guess is that 'Vante's side is trying to start with the Hopkins deals and work from there.  Hence the impasse.

Lol, go check where I said ‘we should pay him what he wants now’ 

Whatever way they choose to pay Davante to play for us next year, they’ll have a plan. That’s what I’ve been saying. What’s hard to understand. We can pay Davante and won’t be crippled. They’ll make sure we don’t have to get rid of our star players. That’s it! 
 

I’m not saying we should or it’s smart to sign him now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't blame Adams for waiting to see how 12's alleged problems play out before reaching an agreement.  QB is obviously the essential component in question and if/when Rodgers is gone, I still think this is a good young football team and not a rebuild.  Maybe he doesn't tho.  

Edited by thrILL!
Link to post
Share on other sites

Jason_OTC -   I think thats nothing more than a fun troll job by Smith. GB already paid almost all his salary this year. Next year however......

  • Ken Ingalls - Packers Cap -    Agreed - by max restructuring his current deal in March to get under the 2021 salary cap it all but ended the possibility of the Packers extending Za’Darius Smith this year. Next year, however, the team will be forced to extend, trade, or cut his deal.
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...