Random Packer News & Notes

19 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Trade Rodgers and cut Preston Smith and we're there. You can make other moves, like extend Z. Smith go gain 15 million. Extend Jaire and save 4-5 million. 

There are several other moves you can make to get additional cap space. 

Oh yea, absolutely you can do it, but “trade rodgers” is the part that most of these fans don’t want to reckon with. Of course we’ll get under the cap somehow, but they all want GB to sign everyone FOR Rodgers. It can’t sustain itself forever, is my point. 

1 hour ago, cannondale said:

The window was open plenty long enough. Being content with sh*tty defenses was the downfall. Should have 2 more rings at least.

Blow it up

That's the thing, I don't think you have to blow it up. There are so many young, talented players pointing up in their career! IF Love can play, and I realize we do not know that yet, there is no need to blow the whole thing up. This is similar situation to when Rodgers replaced Favre. A whole lot of pieces are in place. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Lol.  Great move Packer management.

Have the entire Green Bay fan base on your side and then piss off Davante Adams and Z. Smith in back to back days.

The good news is it’s looking more and more likely the Packers bomb and bomb hard this year.

With Adams, Rodgers and Smith all upset, you’re looking at that frustration from your leadership seeping into the younger players and resulting in a collapse.

Everything right now is ready to tip one way or the other and LaFleur and Gute and Murphy are all on shaky ground.

This entire ordeal has been mismanaged so terribly it’s not even funny.

They should have made the trade to the Niners before the story broke.

All good things invariably come to an end...When it comes to finding out how the rest of the league is fairing, perhaps we as Packer fans were living on burrowed time any way....

Almost every single aspect of the Adams situation is unfortunate. I think his game will age well, but this is the exact scenario where guaranteed money will come back to haunt you. Unless he turns out to be Anquan Boldin II, the back half of the deal he is looking for will most likely be very very ugly. He and his agent know that as well. Gotta be frustrating. Unfortunate.

Edited by cannondale

The Hopkins contract is just ridiculous though. It's 27.25 and only 2 years. Julio Jones at 22, Keenan Allen and Amari Cooper at 20. If Adams was willing to negotiate in that 20-22 range I don't love it but accept that's the going rate, but wanting to be paid #1? Sorry no, don't match a stupid contract. It's just not worth the investment. 

13 minutes ago, spilltray said:

The Hopkins contract is just ridiculous though. It's 27.25 and only 2 years. Julio Jones at 22, Keenan Allen and Amari Cooper at 20. If Adams was willing to negotiate in that 20-22 range I don't love it but accept that's the going rate, but wanting to be paid #1? Sorry no, don't match a stupid contract. It's just not worth the investment. 

Just tag the guy next year and the year after if need be.  He can either live with it or sign a team friendly long term deal to get some security. 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Andy Herman also pointed out that Hopkins old contract was rolled into the new one, so it's not apples to apples for the Adams team to use it for negotiations

Edited by cannondale
5 hours ago, Old Guy said:

That's the thing, I don't think you have to blow it up. There are so many young, talented players pointing up in their career! IF Love can play, and I realize we do not know that yet, there is no need to blow the whole thing up. This is similar situation to when Rodgers replaced Favre. A whole lot of pieces are in place. 

We'll see, but I think Gute has done a good job in this underlying transition.  Got Love and Dillon in the wings, MVS coming along, Amari Rodgers and others.  Hopefully it will all pan out in the coming years, but it will take some time.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, cannondale said:

Almost every single aspect of the Adams situation is unfortunate. I think his game will age well, but this is the exact scenario where guaranteed money will come back to haunt you. Unless he turns out to be Anquan Boldin II, the back half of the deal he is looking for will most likely be very very ugly. He and his agent know that as well. Gotta be frustrating. Unfortunate.

Why unfortunate ?

Packers knew this was coming and should have prepared for it. This is why people were screaming to draft receiver - it was always unlikely he re-signed.  Every time you have a star player hit the 3rd contract, you have a problem. Most 3rd contracts aren't good. You are usually paying huge amounts for a player on the decline with a bigger injury risk.

We have got the best years of Adams and should know when to move on and let others take on the bad contract.

There is nothing unfortunate about this.

Its the same with Z. I don't want him extended unless the money is very team friendly. You put the money to making sure you keep your younger ascending players as well  as sign other second contract guys.

The error was not prioritising receiver in the draft more. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

Why unfortunate ?

Packers knew this was coming and should have prepared for it. This is why people were screaming to draft receiver - it was always unlikely he re-signed.  Every time you have a star player hit the 3rd contract, you have a problem. Most 3rd contracts aren't good. You are usually paying huge amounts for a player on the decline with a bigger injury risk.

We have got the best years of Adams and should know when to move on and let others take on the bad contract.

There is nothing unfortunate about this.

Its the same with Z. I don't want him extended unless the money is very team friendly. You put the money to making sure you keep your younger ascending players as well  as sign other second contract guys.

The error was not prioritising receiver in the draft more. 

Adams contract was not why fans were screaming to draft a receiver. Fans want receivers because they have fantasy football and Madden on the brain and they think it's how you win trophies, but it's not. No one saw a 35 catch and 13 TD increase coming out of Adams last year. He went from an easy sign to a double edged sword.

Edited by cannondale
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, cannondale said:

Adams contract was not why fans were screaming to draft a receiver. Fans want receivers because they have fantasy football and Madden on the brain and they think it's how you win trophies, but it's not. No one saw a 35 catch and 13 TD increase coming out of Adams last year. He went from an easy sign to a double edged sword.

Fair enough.

Personally I never ever thought of Adams as an easy sign. Always thought there was a significant chance  (higher than 50/50)  he would leave and was worried about the receivers post 2021.

Last year, my biggest issue with not drafting a receiver was that we were in danger of being forced into re-signing Adams even though it might not make sense. He has an injury history which is likely to get worse, third contracts are always risky and was always to be expensive.

Rodgers always takes some time with receivers so the sensible plan was to draft at least one receiver and not be forced into a bad contract with Adams. Succession planning and all that.

There's an assumption that MVS is next in line but if he blows up next year, our cap situation will make it very hard to sign him as well. 

You are probably right though that there is a portion of the fan base who assumed Adams would be extended. Not only that but they assumed we could sign him, lower his 21 cap hit by 10m,  fit a tiny cap hit into the -30m cap space for 2022 and presumably throw everything else into 2023 and beyond  paying an old WR elite QB money or something.

• Like 1

I think Rapoport is doing his impression of Schefter where he adds his own interpretation to ramp up the drama where it doesn't belong. We're in a slow news time and we know for a fact that the Adams contract hinges on what happens with DeAndre Hopkins and that situation. Note that this came up AFTER Hopkins made those comments about his future in the league. If those comments aren't made, I seriously doubt we're discussing this topic.

12 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I can buy this argument, but @cannondaleis right about bad defenses; which is the exact same thing Favre went through the second half of his career with us.

Even if Love can't play, there's no reason to blow it up because MLF's system has proven that it can develop talent where talent lies and we can win games by controlling the clock through the run game, which was proven at certain points of the season last year. We do have a lot of pieces in place, sure, but you also have to remember that we have a new DC that needs to install his system which takes time. Offensively speaking, our RB situation is pretty much set in stone as is our OL to a fault, but outside of Amari Rodgers, we really haven't figured out the future of that WR corps if you really look at it. MVS is up-n-down, ESB may have SFB, we don't know what we have in Funchess, we don't know how the Adams situation is going to pan out leaving Lazard as the only proven product, and we have a bunch of JAG's behind all of them. 

6 minutes ago, Joe said:

I think Rapoport is doing his impression of Schefter where he adds his own interpretation to ramp up the drama where it doesn't belong. We're in a slow news time and we know for a fact that the Adams contract hinges on what happens with DeAndre Hopkins and that situation. Note that this came up AFTER Hopkins made those comments about his future in the league. If those comments aren't made, I seriously doubt we're discussing this topic.

I can buy this argument, but @cannondaleis right about bad defenses; which is the exact same thing Favre went through the second half of his career with us.

Even if Love can't play, there's no reason to blow it up because MLF's system has proven that it can develop talent where talent lies and we can win games by controlling the clock through the run game, which was proven at certain points of the season last year. We do have a lot of pieces in place, sure, but you also have to remember that we have a new DC that needs to install his system which takes time. Offensively speaking, our RB situation is pretty much set in stone as is our OL to a fault, but outside of Amari Rodgers, we really haven't figured out the future of that WR corps if you really look at it. MVS is up-n-down, ESB may have SFB, we don't know what we have in Funchess, we don't know how the Adams situation is going to pan out leaving Lazard as the only proven product, and we have a bunch of JAG's behind all of them. 

Not disputing that claim because obviously our defense has been terrible since the last Super Bowl win. This past year we showed signs of life. 

The talent we have on defense is as good as the defense we last won a Super Bowl with. We have a lot of really good young players 25 and under: Gary, Alexander, Savage, Barnes, Clark. That is a heck of a core to build around. Now if some of the other guys come around like Stokes this could be a dominant defense when you throw in guys like the Smiths and Amos who are still in their 20's as well. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Packers have kept drafting defense but when you pick where they pick it does not always work out as we have seen. This defense should improve over the 9 ranked defense last year.