Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 minute ago, cannondale said:

Taking the point to an extreme isn't gonna help your argument. The point is very simple. Teams ARE ALREADY being more communicative to the players. It's a done deal, It isn't going away. If you tell a player to pound sand, you are going to get "players play and coaches coach" quotes. Like it or not, right or wrong, you don't want that.

I am not taking anything to an extreme. I'm pointing out one very VERY simple fact of business: you do NOT willingly gift your competitors information about your advantages.

It has nothing to do with "communicating with players". I 100% support communicating (relevant) information to players, and having open dialogue about literally anything within the scope of their positions at the "company". Who you intend to draft is literally the last thing a team should (or would) ever communicate to a player.

You will not find a single example of a successful Front Office communicating draft intent to a current rostered players on their team. This literally is just not a thing for a very, VERY good reason. I feel like this should be so obvious.

45 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

One should immediately dismiss the opinion of anyone who thinks GB should have "consulted" with Rodgers prior to drafting Love. For they have absolutely zero understanding of a "business" and how a business succeeds.

I think "consult" is the wrong word more than anything regarding the Love pick. "Consult" implies that the other party has some say in the matter that that his/her opinion of the matter may impact the outcome. Neither would have applied here. This was more about "notice" than "consultation." Either way, I think the whole "failure to give notice" to Rodgers of the Love pick probably ranks about 87th out of the 99 problems he probably has with the FO right now. I don't think it's a big deal. 

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

I think "consult" is the wrong word more than anything regarding the Love pick. "Consult" implies that the other party has some say in the matter that that his/her opinion of the matter may impact the outcome. Neither would have applied here. This was more about "notice" than "consultation." Either way, I think the whole "failure to give notice" to Rodgers of the Love pick probably ranks about 87th out of the 99 problems he probably has with the FO right now. I don't think it's a big deal. 

I will go so far as to edit my previous comment to say that anyone who suggests the FO should have so much as hinted to Rodgers they were looking at Love should be dismissed.

Aaron Rodgers is one of the people you MOST want to hide that information from. He is one of the most dangerous people who could have disrupted that pick had he known about its potential.

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I am not taking anything to an extreme. I'm pointing out one very VERY simple fact of business: you do NOT willingly gift your competitors information about your advantages.

It has nothing to do with "communicating with players". I 100% support communicating (relevant) information to players, and having open dialogue about literally anything within the scope of their positions at the "company". Who you intend to draft is literally the last thing a team should (or would) ever communicate to a player.

You will not find a single example of a successful Front Office communicating draft intent to a current rostered players on their team. This literally is just not a thing for a very, VERY good reason. I feel like this should be so obvious.

Now the caveat is successful Front Office ?? It's already happening. The examples were given shortly after the draft due to the Rodgers situation. A team I don't recall gave a heads up to a RB. Just like the team that gave the first guaranteed contract, just like the coach that held the first 2 per day instead of 3 per day, it's happening. Blame LeBron. NFL players have been vocal about the NBA stuff for a couple years now. It's not going away

Just now, cannondale said:

Now the caveat is successful Front Office ?? It's already happening. The examples were given shortly after the draft due to the Rodgers situation. A team I don't recall gave a heads up to a RB. Just like the team that gave the first guaranteed contract, just like the coach that held the first 2 per day instead of 3 per day, it's happening. Blame LeBron. NFL players have been vocal about the NBA stuff for a couple years now. It's not going away

I need a link showing (yes, a non-joke Front Office) alerting a player about a pick before it was turned in.

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

What possible problem could Rodgers have with the organization? 

I swear people are twisting themselves into these mental knots to avoid saying what we all know is the truth.

Aaron Rodgers is an entitled little *****.

• Like 1

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

What possible problem could Rodgers have with the organization? 

I swear people are twisting themselves into these mental knots to avoid saying what we all know is the truth.

Aaron Rodgers is an entitled little *****.

He obviously has issues, whether right or wrong. That's why we are here. 

10 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

But didnt GB make a handful (or a few at least....) comments pre-draft that they'd be open to taking a 1st round QB if the opportunity (board) came around? I'm pretty sure they did.

Now - that may not reach "consult" levels - but it certainly should have perked the ears of AR and/or his agent.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

But didnt GB make a handful (or a few at least....) comments pre-draft that they'd be open to taking a 1st round QB if the opportunity (board) came around? I'm pretty sure they did.

Now - that may not reach "consult" levels - but it certainly should have perked the ears of AR and/or his agent.

After just having gone to the NFC Championship game, I guarantee you the Packers taking a QB in the first round wasn't even within Rodger's universe of possibility (whether rightfully or wrongfully). I too saw all of the reports through the pre-draft process about possibly liking/taking Love and I laughed at everyone who thought it was remotely possible. I was obviously wrong, but I think Rodgers' thinking was the same, probably times 100. 

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

Yes, they even publicly stated some platitudes about selecting a QB (even more info than I probably would have publicly stated).

The crowd that thinks Aaron should have received even MORE info than that is unknowingly supporting additional risk for the business/team they want to see succeed.

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Yes, we've been down the road of you unable to substantiate a point you try to make. 

We can chalk this up as another example, I suppose.

I buried you on the Linsley thing with links and a video interview you refused to watch  I'm already informed on teams contacting players during the draft. You do the leg work to get up to speed. No reason for me to do it for you

Edited by cannondale

Just now, packfanfb said:

After just having gone to the NFC Championship game, I guarantee you the Packers taking a QB in the first round wasn't even within Rodger's universe of possibility (whether rightfully or wrongfully). I too saw all of the reports through the pre-draft process about possibly liking/taking Love and I laughed at everyone who thought it was remotely possible. I was obviously wrong, but I think Rodgers' thinking was the same, probably times 100. 

QB wasnt on my draft radar screen either. I generally take the draft less.........extensively....as many others - but I was tuned in that year and I was all positional thinking: EDGE/S/TE - or whatever player was available to fit those slots. I was pushing for Burns -and recall distinctly that on the draft board when it was going down BK was putting it out there we were gonna take Love (or a QB) and I responded "No way" at least three times.

Shows what I know.......

So:
- you were wrong.
- I was wrong.
- and if you dont think AR took their comments seriously - he was wrong.

Doesnt make the FO wrong though and they did lay the groundwork with comments in advance.

Just now, cannondale said:

I buried you on the Linsley thing with links and a video you refused to watch  I'm already informed on teams contacting players during the draft. You do the leg work to get up to speed. No reason for me to do it for you

You didn't bury anyone lol

You made the claim. You refuse to provide evidence for YOUR claim. Bad look. It's not my job to find evidence of some invented claim you made...

• Like 1