Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Ian Rapoport -  The Packers and QB Aaron Rodgers have finally agreed to terms and language on the reworked deal, source said. The saga is over. Only thing left is to sign it.

@incognito_man

Florio says Rodgers 2023 season won't be ripped up unless Rodgers is on the roster 7 days prior to the 2023 season.  

Paragraph 8 of the proposed contract, a copy of which PFT has obtained, provides that if Rodgers is on the roster on the seventh day preceding the 2023 league year, the 2023 contract year “shall immediately and automatically be null and void without the necessity of notice from either party.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/07/29/tension-still-lingers-between-aaron-rodgers-packers/

2 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Florio says Rodgers 2023 season won't be ripped up unless Rodgers is on the roster 7 days prior to the 2023 season.  

Paragraph 8 of the proposed contract, a copy of which PFT has obtained, provides that if Rodgers is on the roster on the seventh day preceding the 2023 league year, the 2023 contract year “shall immediately and automatically be null and void without the necessity of notice from either party.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/07/29/tension-still-lingers-between-aaron-rodgers-packers/

Ohh interesting.

Stays in place for trade value.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Ohh interesting.

Stays in place for trade value.

Serious question, how does that increase trade value? The 2023 year is void. I guess we'd have to define what "the roster" means in terms of this contract. Is it the Packers roster only or any roster and it's void? 

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Serious question, how does that increase trade value? The 2023 year is void. I guess we'd have to define what "the roster" means in terms of this contract. Is it the Packers roster only or any roster and it's void? 

It doesn't, I misread it at first.

Trades can't happen until day one of new league year.

Just now, incognito_man said:

It doesn't, I misread it at first.

Trades can't happen until day one of new league year.

The more I hear and read I think Rodgers will actually retire rather than allow us to trade him. I think he's that dug in at this point. 

4 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

The more I hear and read I think Rodgers will actually retire rather than allow us to trade him. I think he's that dug in at this point. 

If he was going to retire, the 2023 getting lopped off would be irrelevant to him. I think that that being his "win" clearly indicates he wants to play beyond 2022.

• Like 1

PFT -   Per multiple reports, the new Rodgers contract both removes the 2023 season and eliminates the team’s ability to recover $11.5 million in unearned bonus money in the event Rodgers retires or holds out in 2022.

It’s an important point, one that makes it significantly cheaper and cleaner for Rodgers to not simply huff and puff in 2022 but to blow Green Bay’s house down.

None of this means Rodgers definitely will be traded or released in 2022. Maybe he’ll have to hold out or retire from football in order to finagle a new destination for 2022 or 2023. Regardless, he won’t have to pay back a penny to the Packers in 2022, even if he chooses to refuse to work for the Packers after the current season.

Thus, while he’s under contract through 2022, all he has to do (if he so chooses) is retire after the current season and wait to see whether the Packers trade or release him.

///

Me thinks GB is done with AR after this year.

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

If he was going to retire, the 2023 getting lopped off would be irrelevant to him. I think that that being his "win" clearly indicates he wants to play beyond 2022.

Do you think he believes this is his last year in GB?

1 minute ago, Leader said:

PFT -   Per multiple reports, the new Rodgers contract both removes the 2023 season and olds oeliminates the team’s ability to recover $11.5 million in unearned bonus money in the event Rodgers retires or hut in 2022.

It’s an important point, one that makes it significantly cheaper and cleaner for Rodgers to not simply huff and puff in 2022 but to blow Green Bay’s house down.

None of this means Rodgers definitely will be traded or released in 2022. Maybe he’ll have to hold out or retire from football in order to finagle a new destination for 2022 or 2023. Regardless, he won’t have to pay back a penny to the Packers in 2022, even if he chooses to refuse to work for the Packers after the current season.

Thus, while he’s under contract through 2022, all he has to do (if he so chooses) is retire after the current season and wait to see whether the Packers trade or release him.

///

Me thinks GB is done with AR after this year.

But how can this be because Rodgers assured us this was not about the money. It was never about the money. 

2 minutes ago, JaireAlex said:

It's a bargaining chip.

He wants some say in where he gets traded to.

That has nothing to do with him making sure he doesn't have to pay back a portion of his signing bonus. Lopping off the last year of his deal gives him that leverage. 

BW, he's not going to agree to any trade until he get an extension and a big, fat contract. This one will have guarantees for every year to make it so he can't be traded again. 

Edited by Old Guy

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

That has nothing to do with him making sure he doesn't have to pay back a portion of his signing bonus. Lopping off the last year of his deal gives him that leverage. 

The team has moved on from Rodgers. You missed the memo in the last few days.

Only way he stays is if Love flops. Rodgers' options next year are retire or get traded. If he threatens to sit out GB will take his interests into consideration on a trade (which I expect to be to Denver tbh -- his fiancee is from there, but also that FO is most likely to accomodate AR).

You make it sound like AR wanted the trade. No. The FO has planned to move AR. It's all going swimmingly for them. The only change will come if Love flops, an option Gute wanted to keep.

Tom Pelissero - 

The signing bonus and March roster bonus both will be paid out over the 2021 regular season.

By my quick calculations: Packers save roughly $10 million in 2021 cap space

If Green Bay trades Rodgers before June 1, 2022, it'd be left with about $26.8M in dead money on its cap

There’s no new money in Aaron Rodgers’ new deal (adjusted upward to account for 18th game check):

$6.8 million roster bonus (from March)
$14,464,706 signing bonus
$1.1M base salary
Total: $22,364,706

$26,470,588 salary
$500K workout bonus
Total: $26,970,688

Packers QB Aaron Rodgers’ revised contract voids on the seventh day prior to the 2023 league year, per sources.

The franchise tag window closes one day before that. So, he’s untaggable after 2022.
If Rodgers plays out the next two years on this deal, he’d be a true free agent.

Edited by Leader

10 minutes ago, JaireAlex said:

The team has moved on from Rodgers. You missed the memo in the last few days.

Only way he stays is if Love flops. Rodgers' options next year are retire or get traded. If he threatens to sit out GB will take his interests into consideration on a trade (which I expect to be to Denver tbh -- his fiancee is from there, but also that FO is most likely to accomodate AR).

You make it sound like AR wanted the trade. No. The FO has planned to move AR. It's all going swimmingly for them. The only change will come if Love flops, an option Gute wanted to keep.

So barring a Rodgers injury this year how will the FO know if Love flops before trading Rodgers in your scenario? I'm well aware the plan all along was to get rid of Rodgers after this year. 

psst: The reason Rodgers is so butt hurt is he knows Love can actually play. He tried to force GB to keep him with guaranteed money through Love's rookie deal so they wouldn't find out. That was why he was angling for an extension. 

Rodgers used his the leverage he had left. Good for him. I would have traded his butt this off season tbh. 

Edited by Old Guy