Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Davante will be 29 this December 24th.
So he'll be 30 when he gets tagged. You think he's gonna sit it out?

Hopkins just turned 29 on June 6th.
According to Spotrac, AZ can get out from under his contract in 2023 with a 15.5M dead cap.

7 minutes ago, Leader said:

Who's the last player to sit out a season because he was tagged?
How often does it happen?

Idk, because they usually get traded if they really won't play under it...

Been a lot of tags and trades lately. Clowney, Frank Clark. I think Landry was one since we're talking wr.

I'd love the idea of him here with Love for two years under the tag. Not sure that's what'll happen though

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Davante will be 29 this December 24th.
So he'll be 30 when he gets tagged. You think he's gonna sit it out?

Hopkins just turned 29 on June 6th.
According to Spotrac, AZ can get out from under his contract in 2023 with a 15.5M dead cap.

If a guy goes hey I'm not playing here under the tag this year at all, do you call his bluff? Maybe. Do you really want that guy there? Do you just take the best deal you can and let the guy who's done with your team go. He doesn't actually have to miss a single game to force his way out. Happens all the time in sports, they just do the deal and move on before it ever gets there.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Didnt know this info - thanks.
Btw - who's Landry?

Jarvis Landry. I actually couldn't think of his first name at the time haha. I did double check and he was on the tag and traded but they only got a 4 and a 7. Yuck

1 hour ago, Refugee said:

It would be crazy, but I’ve been seeing it as more of a possibility ever since this off season drama started.  I feel like the front office basically has to tag him if he wants that much.  What would a team have to give up to acquire a duo that automatically makes any offense one of the best?

Should have just done it this year, ain’t winning **** with this drama…Bucks wouldn’t have won if Giannis didnt extend to end the circus..

Rodgers, Adams, Preston

for

Chubb, Jeudy, Surtain, Lock and 2 1sts would have been nice…

16 minutes ago, fattlipp said:

Should have just done it this year, ain’t winning **** with this drama…Bucks wouldn’t have won if Giannis didnt extend to end the circus..

Rodgers, Adams, Preston

for

Chubb, Jeudy, Surtain, Lock and 2 1sts would have been nice…

I believe they’ll be all in and playing for eachother if not for the organization. They want their last dance and this is a good team. In some ways, they might all band together and try to show the front office what a great opportunity the let walk away.  I don’t see it that way but I hope everyone balls out and gets paid. The Packers wanted at least one more option year on Rodgers’ contract and he made them give that up for him to be in this year. 

Now, this is a tough schedule.  I believe the team will be fighting for eachother but if we start taking some losses or key guys get injured or can’t play up to expectations, the drama could start to break the seams of the team.  We’ll see where it goes but I’ll be watching knowing this is probably the last season for the Rodgers era in GB. Let’s make it one to remember. 

Totally spit balling here and might be chatting crap but if Hopkins got an extension for two years at $27m, wouldn't giving Adams an extension at three years at $84m be okay? AAV at $28m in new money and the new deal over this year and next three years is in essence a four year deal at $25m per year.

It really all comes down to the gauranteed money anyway, going by what's out there in market at the moment to break new ground he would want $65m to out do OBJ's deal. If it was $66m, spread that over the 4 years you could get something like this:

2021 - cap hit $21m ($16.5m singing bonus $3.5m salary) - age 29 (he turns 29 in December)
2022 - cap hit $22m ($16.5m singing bouns $5.5m salary) - age 30
2023 - cap hit $27m ($16.5m signing bonus $10.5m salary) - age 31
2024 - cap hit $30m ($16.5m signing bonus $14.5m salary) - age 32

Could in essence be a three year deal at $70m with a $23.3m AAV and a dead cap hit $16.5m

I could live with the above as a way to keep his AAV over the four years low enough and his extension to have an AAV higher than Hopkins.

11 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Totally spit balling here and might be chatting crap but if Hopkins got an extension for two years at $27m, wouldn't giving Adams an extension at three years at $84m be okay? AAV at $28m in new money and the new deal over this year and next three years is in essence a four year deal at $25m per year.

It really all comes down to the gauranteed money anyway, going by what's out there in market at the moment to break new ground he would want $65m to out do OBJ's deal. If it was $66m, spread that over the 4 years you could get something like this:

2021 - cap hit $21m ($16.5m singing bonus $3.5m salary) - age 29 (he turns 29 in December)
2022 - cap hit $22m ($16.5m singing bouns $5.5m salary) - age 30
2023 - cap hit $27m ($16.5m signing bonus $10.5m salary) - age 31
2024 - cap hit $30m ($16.5m signing bonus $14.5m salary) - age 32

Could in essence be a three year deal at $70m with a $23.3m AAV and a dead cap hit $16.5m

I could live with the above as a way to keep his AAV over the four years low enough and his extension to have an AAV higher than Hopkins.

I'd rather let him walk. For one the numbers are two high. Second you basically have no out until year 4 and that's hard to swallow. The amount of signing bonus this takes is awful.