Panthers @ Saints - Wildcard Round Gameday Thread - 4:40pm EST on Fox

Dome

I think we win this one against Carolina. We've matched up well with them both times this year, and have some guys such as Lattimore in the lineup who wasn't in the last 2 times we played them. I know some have had concerns with how we've played recently, but I feel that is a combo of playing one of the hottest teams in football (Atlanta) who we beat once, and lost on the last drive on the road. We also lost to Tampa who I feel we overlooked a bit with the main focus being playoffs, and staying relatively healthy. Depending on which Cam Newton shows up I think we win this one by a lot (if it's bad Cam Newton), or we win a fairly close game (if it's good Cam Newton). The 2 NFC teams that are most concerning to me right now are the Vikings and Falcons. The Rams are a bit of a question mark to me. I'm curious to see how Goff handles the preseason as they are very reliant on him as they've been a high scoring offense all year.

We have had the Panthers number all season and i just don't see that changing, especially in the playoffs. I feel like it will definitely be a more competitive game but we match up so well against them we will still come out with a win. 

The Eagles will also be a good game but one that will be won by our defense. I could see our secondary dominating Foles and company.

I also think I would rather have us facing the Vikings. They crushed us in the opener but that is when we still had AP and our defense was still struggling. Now that we have the Two headed attack of Kamara and Ingram along with our much improved defense i think we can make it a close game and that we can squeak out a win if the ball bounces the right way. 

The rams offense scares me and their defense is pretty dang good too. They are the most inexperienced when it comes to playoffs but they have been absolute fire this year and I would hate to face Gurley who has been a total beast these past few weeks. 

We've all talked about lack of focus.
Last night I read that the coaching staff had all the recreational game equipment taken out of the locker room. Table tennis, video game systems etc... all gone. The staff wants the players to focus on Playoff Football!!

I actually LOVE this move. I see so many people distracted by so many little things in life that add up to reduced productivity. I think this move will really help the mental mindset of our guys.

Here are my 3 keys to victory over the Panthers...

1. Our offensive line MUST play well!

2. Lattimore MUST cover Olsen on 3rd down.

3. The crowd MUST be loud and rowdy!

I honestly believe if these 3 things happen, the rest of the team will feed off of it and we will win.

On 1/3/2018 at 8:00 AM, Mid Iowa said:

The only one who didn't look off on Sunday was Kamara. Michael Thomas was pretty good too. Defense, Jordan (of course) and George seemed okay. 

Other than that, the rest of the team was just off.

And really, Tampa isn't a sucky team. They took Carolina down to the wire the week before.

Jordan hasn’t looked off in about 3 seasons. He may be one of the top 3 defenders in the league and it seems that nobody knows it. He has a VERY strong argument for winning the DPOY this year. 

On 1/4/2018 at 5:16 PM, Fray32 said:

I don't think the Brees Saints have ever lost a home playoff game right?

Also of note, Cam Newton led Panthers are undefeated on the road in the Playoffs. 3-0. Something has to give, and I think it is Carolina's defense. Their zone scheme has been getting picked apart by our offense this season. I don't expect it to change. We will see.

1 hour ago, navysaintsfan said:

Also of note, Cam Newton led Panthers are undefeated on the road in the Playoffs. 3-0. Something has to give, and I think it is Carolina's defense. Their zone scheme has been getting picked apart by our offense this season. I don't expect it to change. We will see.

Wait what? They've only played one road playoff game since Cam joined, and they lost. (Divisional vs Seahawks in 2014). Every other year they've made the playoffs (2013 and 2015) they were the #2 seed and #1 seed and never played a road game. 

On 1/5/2018 at 8:05 PM, Spartica4Real said:

Wait what? They've only played one road playoff game since Cam joined, and they lost. (Divisional vs Seahawks in 2014). Every other year they've made the playoffs (2013 and 2015) they were the #2 seed and #1 seed and never played a road game. 

I'll see if I can find it

On 1/5/2018 at 8:05 PM, Spartica4Real said:

Sorry, misread. Panthers are 3-0 all time in the Wild Card round.

33 minutes ago, NS922 said:

If Atlanta manages to beat the Rams tonight, the chances of the Saints hosting them in the NFC Championship could be realistic....

We are not beating the Vikings. Panthers, possibly, but the Vikings are another kind of animal.

1 minute ago, JMG5 said:

We are not beating the Vikings. Panthers, possibly, but the Vikings are another kind of animal.

Their 3rd string QB has been overdue for a 3rd string QB type game. Our offense can make plays against their defense, and our defense can contain their offense. I'm not saying they will, but I would not doubt they could. That matchup would be tough for sure, but the playoffs aren't about easy games.

Just now, NS922 said:

Their 3rd string QB has been overdue for a 3rd string QB type game. Our offense can make plays against their defense, and our defense can contain their offense. I'm not saying they will, but I would not doubt they could. That matchup would be tough for sure, but the playoffs aren't about easy games.

I think it's possible, but I don't like our chances.

Archived