Panthers @ Saints - Wildcard Round Gameday Thread - 4:40pm EST on Fox

Dome

23 minutes ago, JMG5 said:

We are not beating the Vikings. Panthers, possibly, but the Vikings are another kind of animal.

We certainly *can*. On a good day, the Saints have the potential to be the best team in the NFL. Vikes are better than us IMO but they're not unbeatable by any means. I honestly would have the Vikes winning that game, but I wouldn't give up belief. 

Best of luck to you Saints tomorrow. I respect you guys as a team and a franchise, and will continue to do my best to try and get rid of my bitterness about 09 :D  You are the team us Vikings fans would say is the scariest team we could have to play in our road to the Superbowl. 

Again- good luck tomorrow!! This is a fantastic time of year isn't it? Gotta love playoff football. 

6 hours ago, SkolMasterMN said:

Best of luck to you Saints tomorrow. I respect you guys as a team and a franchise, and will continue to do my best to try and get rid of my bitterness about 09 :D  You are the team us Vikings fans would say is the scariest team we could have to play in our road to the Superbowl. 

Again- good luck tomorrow!! This is a fantastic time of year isn't it? Gotta love playoff football. 

Have a great day watching games!

10 hours ago, Spartica4Real said:

We certainly *can*. On a good day, the Saints have the potential to be the best team in the NFL. Vikes are better than us IMO but they're not unbeatable by any means. I honestly would have the Vikes winning that game, but I wouldn't give up belief. 

I'm right here with ya. The Vikings are 13-3, so we all know they can lose, right?

That said, their losses have been puzzling, and their strength of schedule for the last half of the season was about half & half what I'd consider tough games vs. easy games.

What scares me is how they've performed vs playoff teams this season. Their only blunder was the Steelers in week 2, and I think that was a fluke game.

They've swept the NFC South and made it look rather easy. Their only close call was the 31-24 game over the Panthers, and when they faced us in week 1, our defense didn't know their identity yet with all the young guys and lack of chemistry. That's why I think we have a chance, but it's not gonna be easy, that's for sure.

15 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

That's why I think we have a chance, but it's not gonna be easy, that's for sure.

We have to get through the Panthers first, of course, but we absolutely can beat Minny in their house. I don't think it's the more likely outcome (run the sim 10 times and we probably lose 6 or 7 of them) but for sure it can be done. The week 1 game, as you note, is too early on ion the season to be reliable. Our team was learning who it was still. The Rams game is more concerning. They beat us pretty convincingly much later in the season and the Vikings are a lot stronger than they were.

Something else to think about. As stout and tough as the Vikings are, if we do manage to beat them, the most likely outcome is playing Atlanta in our house again for the conference championship. That game would almost scare me more. It'd be fitting somehow to have to go through both of our toughest division rivals to get to the bowl. Do all of that and it's still probably Pitt or NE waiting for us on the other side. Nothing gets any easier from here on for sure.

But let's get through round 3 of Cam and co first. They have Olsen today, a wrinkle we did not face in either of the previous games. I think we win, hopefully easily and injury-free and move on. 31-24 Saints. WHO DAT!

4 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

I'm right here with ya. The Vikings are 13-3, so we all know they can lose, right?

That said, their losses have been puzzling, and their strength of schedule for the last half of the season was about half & half what I'd consider tough games vs. easy games.

What scares me is how they've performed vs playoff teams this season. Their only blunder was the Steelers in week 2, and I think that was a fluke game.

They've swept the NFC South and made it look rather easy. Their only close call was the 31-24 game over the Panthers, and when they faced us in week 1, our defense didn't know their identity yet with all the young guys and lack of chemistry. That's why I think we have a chance, but it's not gonna be easy, that's for sure.

Panthers beat the Vikings.

Archived