Carson Palmer Retires

bucsfan333

Had a good (surprisingly) lengthy career. But for me personally, when I think of Palmer it's always a question of what if. What if he never suffered that injury in the playoffs vs the Steelers? Who knows how the rest of his legacy unfolds.

Regardless, whether or not he lived up to his draft status, there's no shame in hanging it up at this point. He had a good run and that's a whole heck of a lot more than you can say for 90% of the quarterbacks that come through the NFL. Wish him the best in retirement.

3 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

Off the top of my head, maybe the Browns and Jets as of late? If you have a solid personnel department, which it seems the Cardinals do, finding a guy who can be solid for your team is not impossible. 

The problem is that in most cases, in order to find a franchise QB you have to spend a premium draft pick on him, and it usually takes multiple ones to find the right guy. And those are picks that you don't get to allocate to other positions to keep the rest of your team stocked with good talent while you're trying to find that guy. There are exceptions, of course - Tom Brady was a 6th round pick, Russell Wilson was a 3rd, Dak Prescott (we can save the debates over whether he's a franchise QB for elsewhere) was a 4th. Otherwise, you look at all the playoff teams this year, 9 out of 12 are helmed by a QB who was picked in the top 32 (Brees was the 32nd overall pick in a year when there were 31 teams) and the Vikings have two different 1st round picks backing up their guy, into whom they fell ***-backwards in free agency. The Bills, Titans, Jaguars and Rams have all cycled through multiple 1st round QBs since the last time they were in the playoffs. The Chiefs? They've NEVER successfully drafted and developed a QB in the history of their franchise - every single one that's ever taken a Chiefs team to the playoffs has been brought in from another team. 

Finding a franchise QB isn't impossible but there's so much luck involved in it that there's no way to predict when you will get one.

3 minutes ago, Starless said:

The problem is that in most cases, in order to find a franchise QB you have to spend a premium draft pick on him, and it usually takes multiple ones to find the right guy. And those are picks that you don't get to allocate to other positions to keep the rest of your team stocked with good talent while you're trying to find that guy. There are exceptions, of course - Tom Brady was a 6th round pick, Russell Wilson was a 3rd, Dak Prescott (we can save the debates over whether he's a franchise QB for elsewhere) was a 4th. Otherwise, you look at all the playoff teams this year, 9 out of 12 are helmed by a QB who was picked in the top 32 (Brees was the 32nd overall pick in a year when there were 31 teams) and the Vikings have two different 1st round picks backing up their guy, into whom they fell ***-backwards in free agency. The Bills, Titans, Jaguars and Rams have all cycled through multiple 1st round QBs since the last time they were in the playoffs. The Chiefs? They've NEVER successfully drafted and developed a QB in the history of their franchise - every single one that's ever taken a Chiefs team to the playoffs has been brought in from another team. 

Finding a franchise QB isn't impossible but there's so much luck involved in it that there's no way to predict when you will get one.

Which is why I used the phrase "a guy who can be solid for your team". Guys like Alex Smith, Tyrod Taylor, Carson Palmer, are all guys who were brought in via Free Agency who've been solid for their teams. 

happy trails, carson. fun player to watch when he was on his game.

if i'm kirk cousins, i'm taking a long hard look at arizona. maybe the line needs some work, but they've got a couple decent young receivers aside from fitz plus david johnson, and there are plenty of pieces on defense.

3 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

Which is why I used the phrase "a guy who can be solid for your team". Guys like Alex Smith, Tyrod Taylor, Carson Palmer, are all guys who were brought in via Free Agency who've been solid for their teams. 

How many Chiefs and Bills fans are truly happy with Smith and Tyrod? The Chiefs already have his replacement on the roster, the Bills couldn't wait to move on from Tyrod to the extent that they nearly torpedoed their own playoff chances by starting Nathan Peterman in his place for a week. You're never fully secure as a franchise unless you've got a QB that you're comfortable having under center long-term.

1 hour ago, August4th said:

man..every yr now a QB from the 00s is retiring ..the book on that era is almost closed and I feel emotional about it

Me too, hope a few get a shot at a ring before they go...

2 minutes ago, Starless said:

How many Chiefs and Bills fans are truly happy with Smith and Tyrod? The Chiefs already have his replacement on the roster, the Bills couldn't wait to move on from Tyrod to the extent that they nearly torpedoed their own playoff chances by starting Nathan Peterman in his place for a week. You're never fully secure as a franchise unless you've got a QB that you're comfortable having under center long-term.

And I would argue that the people not satisfied with Smith or Tyrod are idiots.

Just now, Darth Pees said:

And I would argue that the people not satisfied with Smith or Tyrod are idiots.

If Andy Dalton didn't exist, Tyrod would be the personification of QB purgatory. As for Smith, ask a guy who does extensive QB scouting about him. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

As I said in the other thread: 

Probably a bit of an underrated career all things considered. I will always wonder if he would have been even better if not for the injury. He was really one of the best quarterbacks in the league at that point. Would he have continued getting better, stayed at the same level, or regressed anyway?

But my understanding is that he's always been great with his money, and at 38, there's just no reason to put yourself through that any more. Best of luck to him moving forward. Looks like things are going to be a lot different in Arizona next year. 

Over the years people always talk about his injury against the Steelers as if it really hindered his career, but for some reason forget that he came back the very next year and had another fabulous season. I never understood that. 

37 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Over the years people always talk about his injury against the Steelers as if it really hindered his career, but for some reason forget that he came back the very next year and had another fabulous season. I never understood that. 

He did...the next two actually weren't bad, though most would say that he wasn't quite the same player if you watched him. It also made him seem kind of old at times and I'd say that it aged and regressed him prematurely. 

7 hours ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Had a good (surprisingly) lengthy career. But for me personally, when I think of Palmer it's always a question of what if. What if he never suffered that injury in the playoffs vs the Steelers? Who knows how the rest of his legacy unfolds.

Regardless, whether or not he lived up to his draft status, there's no shame in hanging it up at this point. He had a good run and that's a whole heck of a lot more than you can say for 90% of the quarterbacks that come through the NFL. Wish him the best in retirement.

One of the bigger what-if's in recent memory.

Archived