Bengals extend HC Marvin Lewis through 2019 season

marky mark

1 hour ago, EliteTexan80 said:

You really base everything off of Google searches? It's a poor look.

Well actually results..  

Heres my thing, there's not a lot of good coaches in the NFL. For a long period of time Lewis has been able to keep his team above average and even competitive for the most part. It's far more likely the Bengals downgrade and are looking again in 2-3 more years than they improve on Lewis. And I value consistency. It's also more likely that the next guy is bad or Rec Ryan light where he gets hot for a year or two and then underperforms the rest of the tenure. 

1 minute ago, lancerman said:

Well actually results..  

Heres my thing, there's not a lot of good coaches in the NFL. For a long period of time Lewis has been able to keep his team above average and even competitive for the most part. It's far more likely the Bengals downgrade and are looking again in 2-3 more years than they improve on Lewis. And I value consistency. It's also more likely that the next guy is bad or Rec Ryan light where he gets hot for a year or two and then underperforms the rest of the tenure. 

Ultimately, I get that - but it's not the "right" kind of consistency in Cincinnati. Once upon a time, this team made the playoffs pretty frequently, WITH Andy Dalton. 

Lewis is good enough to get you into the middle of the pack churn - that's his ceiling. His floor is the last few years, which is football purgatory.

Just now, EliteTexan80 said:

Ultimately, I get that - but it's not the "right" kind of consistency in Cincinnati. Once upon a time, this team made the playoffs pretty frequently, WITH Andy Dalton. They've been progressing downward since.

Lewis is good enough to get you into the middle of the pack churn - that's his ceiling. His floor is the last few years, which is football purgatory.

15 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Ultimately, I get that - but it's not the "right" kind of consistency in Cincinnati. Once upon a time, this team made the playoffs pretty frequently, WITH Andy Dalton. 

That's pretty much it. Consistency is good...if the results are good. 

Archived