Marvin signs a 2 year contract

ochocinco4pres

so heres my thoughts on why this happened, could be totally wrong, but makes sense to me

- From Mike Brown's point of view

Mike is scared, scared that he will never live up to his father's legacy, deep down he wants to win, but wants to win with spending as little as possible and still maintaining his place in the day to day organization. With the recent death of Pete Brown, I think Mike is starting to feel a sense of mortality, in that if not in the next few years, then never in his lifetime. I think he feels the pieces are there and just staying the course with what he has will pay off. I think he was the one who wanted John Ross as well as Joe Mixon, not saying I thought they were bad picks, but the offensive line was a huge issue. We might see some of Mike Brown's "guys" gone like Paul Alexander. Perhaps Marvin used last year as a "told ya so" and knew these things would happen. Brown is scared to start over with a new coach, who wants things done his way and not Mikes way. I think also Mike doesn't want to feel like the last 15 years were wasted and to finally accomplish what Marvin and him set out to do in the beginning.

-From Marvin Lewis's point of view

Marvin knows Mike. Marvin knows Mike's loyalty. Marvin knew that he wasn't going anywhere. You can just sense it in his interviews. He has Mike's trust and he knows Mike is scared. Marvin knows that this job is one of the most secure jobs in sports. Why would he give that up for a "chance" to maybe turn around another organization. Sure he might see better results, but if he fails other owners are not likely to give him multiple chances. I think Marvin also wants to finish what he started. I think he truly wants to see Mike win one before he dies. These two guys are friends in their own weird way. Its like your dad owns this business that you know is way behind the times, but you need to slowly convince him to change things little by little. Marvin truly has caused Mike Brown to change, be it very slowly however. I think with Mike's sense of mortality kicking in, Marvin knows he is going to be given a lot more power to try and win before Brown dies.

It sucks that things stayed status quo once again, but the reality is, this is our best chance of winning. Mike Brown was never going to hire the exciting young up and comer to come in with fresh ideas. If Marvin left we would be stuck with a has been or unqualified internal candidate. Our only hope is that Marvin is indeed allowed to do what he wants this year and the obvious problems in this organization are fixed. I really believe that if we fix the O-line and add a few pieces, this team is right back in it. I'm still going to root for this team, but its getting harder and harder to do so.

I really don't understand the cheap thing. They are typically average in their spending, doesn't it seem that pushing the boundaries a bit would lead to a pretty good ROI? You can make a lot of money selling out the season, home playoff games and Super Bowl champ t-shirts.

Just now, Beck Bristow said:

I really don't understand the cheap thing. They are typically average in their spending, doesn't it seem that pushing the boundaries a bit would lead to a pretty good ROI? You can make a lot of money selling out the season, home playoff games and Super Bowl champ t-shirts.

You would think. I think Mike Brown thinks since we made the playoffs 5 years in a row not doing spending, that it’s unnecessary. 

16 hours ago, ochocinco4pres said:

Per Hobson, Lazor is likely remaining as OC

This is somewhat disappointing.  Marvin's best years are when he has quality, independent coordinators that also scheme to make Andy look like an MVP candidate.  Lazor is not that guy.  If Guenther leaves, then I'm all in for Del Rio.  Was just hoping we get someone better on offense as the coordinator.

4 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

I don’t mind Lazor. I think him having a full offseason will show us better results. It all comes down to fixing the Oline 

I know he didn't have the offseason to work on things, but he took over week 3 and it was a disaster all year. 31st ranked offense and we immediately resign him? Take time and look for other options 

Nothing pisses me off more than Marvin quotes. 2 that really bother me

1. Says true fans will stay with the team and stay the course (the course shouldnt take 15 years)

2. Says we are one of the least penalized teams when asked about discipline on the team.....Does he forget how many games we have lost due to stupid penalties and players losing their cool?

1 minute ago, ochocinco4pres said:

Nothing pisses me off more than Marvin quotes. 2 that really bother me

1. Says true fans will stay with the team and stay the course (the course shouldnt take 15 years)

2. Says we are one of the least penalized teams when asked about discipline on the team.....Does he forget how many games we have lost due to stupid penalties and players losing their cool?

they were the 6th most penalized team in the league....I cannot stand Marvin 

1 hour ago, ochocinco4pres said:

I know he didn't have the offseason to work on things, but he took over week 3 and it was a disaster all year. 31st ranked offense and we immediately resign him? Take time and look for other options 

While I agree it would have been better to look at other options, no matter who you brought in was gonna struggle with that O-line

Archived