Mock Draft/Off-season Thread

OhioG

1 minute ago, FEARtheELF said:

After the FA period and when we pass on Barkley twice I have a feeling the excitement in town is going to dwindle fast. 

Not that it’s deserved but I see it happening. 

I completely understand. It would be a incredibly stressful decision to draft a RB that high, especially with other elite talents still on the board at positions of need. As I said, the CB and RB positions are so hard for me to determine what's the best combination of value.

Is it Saquon Barkley and Josh Jackson (mine)?

Is it Denzel Ward and Derrius Guice?

Is it Carlton Davis and Sony Michel with the two Top 2nds? And go another direction at #4?

So fun. So exhausting.

1 hour ago, Bernie's Curls said:

I completely understand. It would be a incredibly stressful decision to draft a RB that high, especially with other elite talents still on the board at positions of need. As I said, the CB and RB positions are so hard for me to determine what's the best combination of value.

Is it Saquon Barkley and Josh Jackson (mine)?

Is it Denzel Ward and Derrius Guice?

Is it Carlton Davis and Sony Michel with the two Top 2nds? And go another direction at #4?

So fun. So exhausting.

Take a look at the divergence of opinions among these pundits: https://www.ohio.com/akron/sports/browns/2018-nfl-mock-draft-roundup-things-are-getting-weird-for-the-browns

Most, if not all, of them will be proven wrong, especially since, imho, it is highly likely that the Browns will trade down from #4.

And they get paid for this tihs!

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

Take a look at the divergence of opinions among these pundits: https://www.ohio.com/akron/sports/browns/2018-nfl-mock-draft-roundup-things-are-getting-weird-for-the-browns

Most, if not all, of them will be proven wrong, especially since, imho, it is highly likely that the Browns will trade down from #4.

And they get paid for this tihs!

I kind of feel half these guys are trying to grab a headline. Is there anyone who truly feels that RB Barkley is of greater importance to the franchise than getting their #1 slated QB? This is the kind of delirium that casual football fans suffer from, not those of us that really focus on what it takes to build a franchise and study how the great GM's pull it together. The Giants and Colts also have to see the value of selecting an RB at the top of Round 2, with names like Guice, Jones III, Michel, Chubb, and even Penny able to tote the rock very effectively, without sacrificing another elite level talent in the 1st. I guess if you want that flair and merchandising, sure, but you're not helping your team quite as much as you could in the long run. But maybe I'm perceiving this all wrong.

Assuming NY stays put and takes Rosen, Jets take Allen/Mayfield

FA - Pryor WR

Draft

1) Sam Darnold - QB
Trade down with Buffalo who wants to get Mayfield/Allen before Denver. We get their 12, 23, 65 back and next year 1
Trade up from 12 to 8. Give up 64 to the Bears
8) Denzel Ward - CB
23) Jaire Alexander - CB
33) Taven Bryan - UT
35) Billy Price - C
65) Orlando Brown - Developmental OT

Depth Chart

QB Taylor/Darnold/Kessler
RB Hyde/Johnson/Dayes
FB Vitale
WR Gordon/Landry/Coleman/Pryor/Higgins
TE Njoku/DeValve/Fells

LT Coleman/Brown
LG Bitonio/Drango
C Tretter/Price
RG Zeitler?Reiter
RT Hubbard

DE Garrett/Smith
DT Ogunjobi/Coley
DT Brantley/Bryan
DE Ogbah/Orchard

OLB Collins/Burgess
MLB Schobert
OLB Kirksey/Alexander

CB Carrie/Alexander
FS Randall/Nacua
SS Peppers/Kindred
CB Ward/Boddy-Calhoun
NB Mitchell/Taylor

UpSuhide Mock

FA
Ndamukong Suh - DT: It is obvious how important pressure from the middle is. I think a 2 year 26 million dollar contract and have him line up as a 1 gap 3 tech will be major for a defense that struggled to get turn overs last year.

Draft

1) Sam Darnold - QB
Trade down with Buffalo who wants to get Mayfield/Allen before Denver. We get their 12, 23, 65 back and next year 1
8) Denzel Ward - CB
23) Jaire Alexander - CB
33) Christian Kirk - WR
35) Billy Price - C

Depth Chart

RB Hyde/Johnson/Dayes
FB Vitale
TE Njoku/DeValve/Fells

LT Coleman/Brown
LG Bitonio/Drango
C Tretter/Price
RG Zeitler/Reiter
RT Hubbard

DE Garrett/Smith
DT Ogunjobi/Coley
DT Suth/Brantley
DE Ogbah/Orchard

OLB Collins/Burgess
MLB Schobert
OLB Kirksey/Alexander

CB Carrie/Alexander
FS Randall/Nacua
SS Peppers/Kindred
CB Ward/Boddy-Calhoun
NB Mitchell/Taylor

1 hour ago, ohiogenius said:

UpSuhide Mock

FA
Ndamukong Suh - DT: It is obvious how important pressure from the middle is. I think a 2 year 26 million dollar contract and have him line up as a 1 gap 3 tech will be major for a defense that struggled to get turn overs last year.

Draft

1) Sam Darnold - QB
8) Denzel Ward - CB
23) Jaire Alexander - CB
33) Christian Kirk - WR
35) Billy Price - C

Depth Chart

RB Hyde/Johnson/Dayes
FB Vitale
TE Njoku/DeValve/Fells

LT Coleman/Brown
LG Bitonio/Drango
C Tretter/Price
RG Zeitler/Reiter
RT Hubbard

DE Garrett/Smith
DT Ogunjobi/Coley
DT Suth/Brantley
DE Ogbah/Orchard

OLB Collins/Burgess
MLB Schobert
OLB Kirksey/Alexander

CB Carrie/Alexander
FS Randall/Nacua
SS Peppers/Kindred
CB Ward/Boddy-Calhoun
NB Mitchell/Taylor

I like certain things about this (e.g., Suh and Darnold).

There are some that I am, well, meh about (e.g., Ward, although I like the mock's emphasis on DBs).

And there is one I cannot stomach; i.e., Brown.

The horrific film of him running the 40 combined with his horrific other combine stats repel me.

So, go back to the drawing board.

This is my best case scenario final target board based on the idea of trading both picks at the top of the 2nd for 1st round picks.

1. Number 1 Overall. 1st Pick: Sam Darnold, QB USC

2. 2nd Pick (2nd, 1st Rounder): Bradley Chubb, DE NCSTATE

3. 3rd Pick (3rd, 1st Rounder) Mike Hughes, CB UCF

4. 4th Pick (4th, 1st Rounder) a. Da'Ron Payne, DT Alabama // b. Mike McGlinchey, LT Notre Dame // c. DJ Moore, WR Maryland // d. Taven Bryan, DT Florida // e. Jaire Alexander, CB Louisville

If we, walk away from the draft with Darnold, Chubb, Hughes, and 1 of (Payne, McGlinchey, Moore, Bryan, or Alexander).

We really need Mike Hughes' 4.53, 40 yard dash, and diminutive size to scare some teams off so he can fall in round 1. It's a real possibility.

It'll be the best draft ever...

---------------------------

The Mock Draft

**** Philosophy: Create as many positional units that can be a decisive force on the field.

1(1) Browns Select: Sam Darnold QB USC

1(2) New York Giants select Josh Allen QB Wyoming

1(3) New York Jets (via Trade) select Josh Rosen QB UCLA 

1(4) Browns Select: Bradley Chubb DE NC State 

***Trade**** Trade our Eagles' 2nd Round pick number 65 overall to move up 11 spots to go from 33 to 22 in the 1st round. We receive a 2018 5th round pick, 6th round pick, and the 22nd overall pick for the 33rd and the 65th overall pick in the second round. We go up and get the best CB in the draft. It costs us a pretty penny, but it's well worth it.

**1(22) Browns Select: Mike Hughes CB UCF

***Trade**** We give up our 4th round pick and future considerations to secure a 4th, 1st round pick. We traded a 4th round pick to trade up from the 2nd to the 1st last year to select David Njoku. So, we essentially do that trade again this year.

**1(27) Browns Select: Da'Ron Payne DT Alabama // Mike McGlinchey LT Notre Dame // DJ Moore WR Maryland // Taven Bryan DT Florida

5. Browns Select: Dane Cruikshank FS Arizona

5.***via Trade-- Browns Select: Ade Aruna DE Tulane // Mark Walton RB Miami (Ankle and knee injury concerns drop him in the draft along with RB talent pool depth)

6. Browns Select: Hunter Renfrow WR Clemson

7. Browns Select: BPA

----------------------------

Ok, I think I have heard/read enough to take a shot at this.

#1 Darnold (duh)

#4 Trade to ARZ for Patrick Peterson, #47 this year and R1 pick next year.

#16 Trade #s 35 & 47 to move up and pick Edmunds

#29 Trade #s 33 and 114 to move up and pick Hurst

#58 Trade #s 64, 150 and 175 to move up and pick Michel

And call it a draft.

I will have another with BUF as our trade down partner.

27 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Ok, I think I have heard/read enough to take a shot at this.

#1 Darnold (duh)

#4 Trade to ARZ for Patrick Peterson, #47 this year and R1 pick next year.

#16 Trade #s 35 & 47 to move up and pick Edmunds

#29 Trade #s 33 and 114 to move up and pick Hurst

#58 Trade #s 64, 150 and 175 to move up and pick Michel

And call it a draft.

I will have another with BUF as our trade down partner.

We better get AZ 1st too. They ain’t getting 4 for Patrick Peterson and a 2nd  this year and 1st next yet. Your high. 1st,PP,2nd Nd a 1st next year would be fine 

Archived