Mock Draft/Off-season Thread

OhioG

24 minutes ago, ohiogenius said:

I just dont see too many FA CBs hitting the market and no top 5 CB so if we cant build the Jags style defense (2 shut down CBs) I want to go the NYG route

1) Sam Darnold - QB
1) Bradley Chubb - DE
Trade up
1) Josh Jackson/Carlton Davis - CB
2) Sony Michel - RB
3) BPA OT
4) BPA FS

Free Agency
Terrelle Pryor - WR

Jarvis Landry - WR
AJ McCarron - QB

Not bad

48 minutes ago, ohiogenius said:

I just dont see too many FA CBs hitting the market and no top 5 CB so if we cant build the Jags style defense (2 shut down CBs) I want to go the NYG route

1) Sam Darnold - QB
1) Bradley Chubb - DE
Trade up
1) Josh Jackson/Carlton Davis - CB
2) Sony Michel - RB
3) BPA OT
4) BPA FS

Free Agency
Terrelle Pryor - WR

Jarvis Landry - WR
AJ McCarron - QB

Josh Jackson will go top 15. He is going to be a huge offseason riser. I can honestly see Fitzpatrick/Jackson/Ward all going top 20.

If the Browns want to get either Jackson/Ward, it will be in a trade down from 4, not a trade up from 33. Neither player is in the Browns range so Im not even going to waste my time mocking them to us in some sort of random hypothetical trade up/down that 95% wont happen.

The only way your getting a CB in the 1st is by taking Fitzpatrick #4.

Mock based off what I think could happen if they decide to go the AJ McCarron route.

Free Agents

QB AJ McCarron

This is not my choice but I think Hue and Jimmy push for this. They showed they willingness to give up significant draft capital to get him and will pursue him hard. He is given the chance to be the franchise guy here.

WR Terrelle Pryor

Pryor comes back to where he fit. We get him on a steal of a deal compared to what we offered last off-season. He will not be given the playing time but will have to earn it. Make or break for his career.

FS Lamarcus Joyner

Gregg Williams guy who gets PAID. We need a Joyner in our secondary and we get a guy that is already familiar with the DC. Big addition for Williams and what I think he wants to do.

CB Malcolm Butler

The 3rd big money guy of the FA class. Butler is a guy who went from an UDFA to a star. He will be a nice addition to a young unit filled with high-picks that can potentially help teach how to become a winner while being the lock-down corner at the same time..

DE Connor Barwin

Another Williams guy and could be a great depth addition to the line and pass rush. Could allow for Garrett to move inside on certain passing downs. Also brings in a veteran to help guide Garrett and Chubb

Draft

*Trade 1 (1) Trade to DEN for 1(5), 2(40), 1(2019)*

1(4) CB/FS Minkah Fitzpatrick

Our elite play-maker in the secondary. Every great defense has someone that can change a game either by taking away the best WR on the field or being able to cover space and create turnovers. Minkah has the ability to do both and give Gregg Williams even more flexibility on defense. 

1(5) DE Bradley Chubb

Defense again? After singing Cousins, and in this scenario I predict Barkley to Indy, we take the next best football player and create a dynamic and dominate edge to the defensive line. Pairing Garrett and Chubb is an exciting idea.

*Trade 2(33), 2(40), 5(163), 6(179), conditional 2019 pick (3-5) for to Green Bay 1(14)*

1(14) ILB Roquan Smith

This would be the ultimate statement that we are building to play in the AFC North. We take 3 pro-bowl caliber talents to an already talented and young defense. With the additions of Joyner, Johnson, Fitz and Chubb as well, I believe this would put us in reach of making a Jacksonville-type jump.

*Trade 2(35) to Buffalo for 2(53) and 3(95)

2(53) RB Sony Michael

Move down to find value in the deep RB class. With Sony, we are getting a back that can play every down. I like the combination of balance, and pass-game ability that Chubb and some of the other guys do not have.

*2(60), 4(125) to Kansas City for 2(54)*

2(54) WR Anthony Miller

Move up and get the guy you want. I like Miller because he has proven that he can get open, be a reliable target, and be the safety valve with over 90 catches each of the last two years.

3(65) CB J.C. Jackson

Very talented corner but a history of legal trouble. But Dorsey has shown in the past he will take chances on some troubled players that have extreme talent. Jackson in the 3rd is a worth-it risk to improve a position group that might need it the most out of any other on an 0-16 team...

3(95) RB Rashaad Penny

Moving down from 35 allows us to take two backs that bring balance to the offense. Penny is a one-cut go type runner and can bring a little Thunder to the backfield.

4(103) QB Luke Falk

I was originally okay with not taking a QB and letting the veteran play, see what happens with Kizer and go from there. But Falk would be a great guy to sit behind McCarron. I see Falk being able to sit and learn for a few years so he could be able to step in and be a quality #2 at any time.

5(139) WR Antonio Callaway

Similar to Jackson and reminiscent of Tyreek Hill. Another guy that can fill that slot roll and provide some consistency on the field. Miller and Callaway can both battle to fill the slot roll and push Corey Coleman for playing time as well.

7(219) K Daniel Carlson

Dorsey showed an interest in special teams at KC and I think that he will make sure that the K position is addressed with the major struggles this year.

Depth Chart

QB McCarron/Kizer/Falk

RB Johnson/Michael/Penny

FB Vitale

WR Gordon/Coleman/Miller/Pryor/Callaway

TE Njoku/DeValve/Baugh

LT Thomas/Drango

LG Bitonio/Martin

C Tretter/Reiter

RG Zeitler

RT Coleman/Banner

LE Garrett/Barwin

NT Shelton/Brantley/Meder

DT Coley/Ogunjobi

RE Chubb/Ogbah/Nassib

OLB Collins/Burgess

ILB Smith/Schobert

OLB Kirksey/Carder

CB Butler/Boddy-Calhoun/Jackson

FS Joyner/Nacua

SS Peppers/Kindred

CB Fitzpatrick/McCourty/Wilson

K Carlson

P Colquitt

A.J. McCarron as the reason we don't take a QB in one of the best QB classes in the last few years. This would be the breaking point for me. I moved out to the west coast earlier this year, I pimped Jimmy G pre-draft and ever since, I might just go be a 49ers fan until Truck Stop Jimmy sells the team.

As to the draft: I highly doubt Michel, Penny, or Roquan are available where you have us taking them. Luke Falk is living off of two year old hype, he isn't an NFL QB in either accuracy or arm strength (and I'm the captain of the "arm strength doesn't matter much past a certain point" fan club). 

18 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

A.J. McCarron as the reason we don't take a QB in one of the best QB classes in the last few years. This would be the breaking point for me. I moved out to the west coast earlier this year, I pimped Jimmy G pre-draft and ever since, I might just go be a 49ers fan until Truck Stop Jimmy sells the team.

Man, if that happens, you and @ditchdigger could have some dynamite sig bets.  :) 

27 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

As to the draft: I highly doubt Michel, Penny, or Roquan are available where you have us taking them. Luke Falk is living off of two year old hype, he isn't an NFL QB in either accuracy or arm strength (and I'm the captain of the "arm strength doesn't matter much past a certain point" fan club). 

For the record, I am all on the draft Darnold train.  Just messing around on the slow MLK day.  As for the 3 guys that might not make it, Michel and Penny there will be plenty of other RBs this year that can be stuck in those spots and I would not be shocked if Smith slides out of the top 13. Could easily see 4-5 QBs in there, Barkley, Chubb, Fitpatrick, Derwin James, Key, OL Joshua Jackson, Ridley go before him.

Free Agency:

QB Kirk Cousins

CB Trumaine Johnson

CB Malcolm Butler

"Drain our cap space with three studs this off-season."

Trades:

*Trade #1 to the New York Giants for #2 and a 2nd round pick.

*Trade #2 to the New York Jets for #6, a 2nd round pick, a 4th round pick, and LB Darron Lee.

Draft:

#4-Baker Mayfield/QB/Oklahoma 

"Supremely intriguing QB in the mold of a Russell Wilson. Boom or bust, but we have Cousins and can afford to take a risk."

#6-Minkah Fitzpatrick/FS/Alabama

"Not the biggest Minkah fan, but my plan is to draft 2 FS guys, move Peppers to SS, and play Fitzpatrick in the nickel, bringing our other FS in for that package."

2nd-Orlando Brown/OT/Oklahoma

"Monsterous OT prospect with run blocking for days. Great athlete for his size and a surprising pass blocker. Not sure why he's not valued higher."

2nd-Derrius Guice/RB/LSU

"Has all the tools to be a great RB. Reminds me a little bit of Fred Taylor. The thunder to Duke's lightning. Great consolation, as it looks like Barkley is going #3 overall."

2nd-Anthony Miller/WR/Memphis

"An extremely solid overall player. Seems like he'll be a very good #2 receiver that can play outside or in the slot."

2nd-Quin Blanding/FS/Virginia

"Our true FS, which will allow Fitzpatrick to slide over to the nickel. Blanding is another guy without any glaring weaknesses in his game. Solid, but unspectacular."

2nd-Dorance Armstrong/DE/Kansas

"Freakish athlete with track speed off the edge. Depth behind Garrett and Ogbah. We could move Ogbah to a 3T on obvious passing downs and play all three together."

3rd-Deon Cain/WR/Clemson

"Has #1 receiver potential. Great size and speed. Questionable route runner, questionable effort. He has 1st round talent and is worth the risk here in round 3."

3rd-Braxton Berrios/WR/Miami Fl.

"The opposite of Deon Cain. He's as solid a slot WR as they come. Quick, pretty fast, catches everything, runs great routes, blocks, and is ultra competitive."

4th-Skai Moore/WLB/South Carolina

"Supremely underrated run and chase linebacker. Elite coverage guy that could maybe even play safety. Not an every-down player right now and has an injury past."

4th-MJ Stewart/CB/North Carolina

"Perfect fit for Gregg Williams. A big tough corner that can wear many hats. Tackles, blitzes, plays man and zone. At the very least, an elite special teams guy."

5th-Antonio Callaway/WR/Florida

"One of the more talented WR's in the class. Has a ton of potential and will be brought in as the BPA here in the 5th round. Worth the risk this late."

6th-Dimitri Flowers/FB/Oklahoma

"The best fullback in the draft. Excellent pass catcher out of the backfield. Played H-Back and true Fullback. Has familiarity with our new QB Baker Mayfield."

6th-Kalen Ballage/RB/Arizona State

"Stud athlete with elite size and long speed. Reminds me of LaTavius Murray. Has every tool, but is very raw in terms of running style."

7th-Matthew Thomas/ILB/Florida State

"A former 5-star recruit, Thomas hasn't developed the instincts to play linebacker yet. He is, however, excellent in pass coverage and is a superstar athlete."

2018 Cleveland Browns Roster:

QB: Kirk Cousins/Baker Mayfield/Deshone Kizer

RB: Derrius Guice/Duke Johnson/Kalen Ballage

FB: Dimitri Flowers

WR: Josh Gordon/Corey Coleman/Anthony Miller/Deon Cain/Braxton Berrios/Antonio Callaway

TE: David Njoku/Seth DeValve/Randall Telfer

LT: Joe Thomas/Shon Coleman

LG: Joel Bitonio/Marcus Martin

C: JC Tretter/Austin Reiter

RG: Kevin Zeitler/Spencer Drango

RT: Orlando Brown/Roderick Johnson

LE: Emmanuel Ogbah/Carl Nassib

DT: Danny Shelton/Larry Ogunjobi/Trevon Coley/Caleb Brantley

RE: Myles Garrett/Dorance Armstrong

WLB: Christian Kirksey/Skai Moore

MLB: Joe Schobert/Darron Lee/Matthew Thomas

SLB: Jamie Collins/James Burgess

CB: Trumaine Johnson/Malcolm Butler/Briean Boddy-Calhoun/MJ Stewart/Jamar Taylor/Howard Wilson

FS: Minkah Fitzpatrick/Quin Blanding

SS: Jabrill Peppers/Derrick Kindred

***Nickel package can put Minkah Fitzpatrick in the nickel cornerback spot, and Quin Blanding slides in to the FS spot***

***Nickel package can put Darron Lee & Skai Moore in the game as our two linebackers for excellent pass coverage ability***

K: Zane Gonzales

P: Britton Colquitt

KR: Antonio Callaway/Braxton Berrios

PR: Jabrill Peppers/Braxton Berrios

This team would win 10 games methinks. The only holes on the roster would be maybe upgrading at center and linebacker? But those aren't glaring holes; they just could be upgraded.

7 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Agree wholeheartedly.

This imho would be a worst case scenario.

Not thinking that Dorsey will let something like this happen.

Even if it would make it easier to get rid of Hueball.

12 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Not thinking that Dorsey will let something like this happen.

Never underestimate the potential of hee haw or Hueball to be ones pulling every string on this team. Could be a back and forth between Jimmy banging his fist on the table and Hueball assuring everyone around him to put their trust in him.

15 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Free Agency:

QB Kirk Cousins

CB Trumaine Johnson

CB Malcolm Butler

"Drain our cap space with three studs this off-season."

Trades:

*Trade #1 to the New York Giants for #2 and a 2nd round pick.

*Trade #2 to the New York Jets for #6, a 2nd round pick, a 4th round pick, and LB Darron Lee.

Draft:

#4-Baker Mayfield/QB/Oklahoma 

"Supremely intriguing QB in the mold of a Russell Wilson. Boom or bust, but we have Cousins and can afford to take a risk."

#6-Minkah Fitzpatrick/FS/Alabama

"Not the biggest Minkah fan, but my plan is to draft 2 FS guys, move Peppers to SS, and play Fitzpatrick in the nickel, bringing our other FS in for that package."

2nd-Orlando Brown/OT/Oklahoma

"Monsterous OT prospect with run blocking for days. Great athlete for his size and a surprising pass blocker. Not sure why he's not valued higher."

2nd-Derrius Guice/RB/LSU

"Has all the tools to be a great RB. Reminds me a little bit of Fred Taylor. The thunder to Duke's lightning. Great consolation, as it looks like Barkley is going #3 overall."

2nd-Anthony Miller/WR/Memphis

"An extremely solid overall player. Seems like he'll be a very good #2 receiver that can play outside or in the slot."

2nd-Quin Blanding/FS/Virginia

"Our true FS, which will allow Fitzpatrick to slide over to the nickel. Blanding is another guy without any glaring weaknesses in his game. Solid, but unspectacular."

2nd-Dorance Armstrong/DE/Kansas

"Freakish athlete with track speed off the edge. Depth behind Garrett and Ogbah. We could move Ogbah to a 3T on obvious passing downs and play all three together."

3rd-Deon Cain/WR/Clemson

"Has #1 receiver potential. Great size and speed. Questionable route runner, questionable effort. He has 1st round talent and is worth the risk here in round 3."

3rd-Braxton Berrios/WR/Miami Fl.

"The opposite of Deon Cain. He's as solid a slot WR as they come. Quick, pretty fast, catches everything, runs great routes, blocks, and is ultra competitive."

4th-Skai Moore/WLB/South Carolina

"Supremely underrated run and chase linebacker. Elite coverage guy that could maybe even play safety. Not an every-down player right now and has an injury past."

4th-MJ Stewart/CB/North Carolina

"Perfect fit for Gregg Williams. A big tough corner that can wear many hats. Tackles, blitzes, plays man and zone. At the very least, an elite special teams guy."

5th-Antonio Callaway/WR/Florida

"One of the more talented WR's in the class. Has a ton of potential and will be brought in as the BPA here in the 5th round. Worth the risk this late."

6th-Dimitri Flowers/FB/Oklahoma

"The best fullback in the draft. Excellent pass catcher out of the backfield. Played H-Back and true Fullback. Has familiarity with our new QB Baker Mayfield."

6th-Kalen Ballage/RB/Arizona State

"Stud athlete with elite size and long speed. Reminds me of LaTavius Murray. Has every tool, but is very raw in terms of running style."

7th-Matthew Thomas/ILB/Florida State

"A former 5-star recruit, Thomas hasn't developed the instincts to play linebacker yet. He is, however, excellent in pass coverage and is a superstar athlete."

2018 Cleveland Browns Roster:

QB: Kirk Cousins/Baker Mayfield/Deshone Kizer

RB: Derrius Guice/Duke Johnson/Kalen Ballage

FB: Dimitri Flowers

WR: Josh Gordon/Corey Coleman/Anthony Miller/Deon Cain/Braxton Berrios/Antonio Callaway

TE: David Njoku/Seth DeValve/Randall Telfer

LT: Joe Thomas/Shon Coleman

LG: Joel Bitonio/Marcus Martin

C: JC Tretter/Austin Reiter

RG: Kevin Zeitler/Spencer Drango

RT: Orlando Brown/Roderick Johnson

LE: Emmanuel Ogbah/Carl Nassib

DT: Danny Shelton/Larry Ogunjobi/Trevon Coley/Caleb Brantley

RE: Myles Garrett/Dorance Armstrong

WLB: Christian Kirksey/Skai Moore

MLB: Joe Schobert/Darron Lee/Matthew Thomas

SLB: Jamie Collins/James Burgess

CB: Trumaine Johnson/Malcolm Butler/Briean Boddy-Calhoun/MJ Stewart/Jamar Taylor/Howard Wilson

FS: Minkah Fitzpatrick/Quin Blanding

SS: Jabrill Peppers/Derrick Kindred

***Nickel package can put Minkah Fitzpatrick in the nickel cornerback spot, and Quin Blanding slides in to the FS spot***

***Nickel package can put Darron Lee & Skai Moore in the game as our two linebackers for excellent pass coverage ability***

K: Zane Gonzales

P: Britton Colquitt

KR: Antonio Callaway/Braxton Berrios

PR: Jabrill Peppers/Braxton Berrios

This team would win 10 games methinks. The only holes on the roster would be maybe upgrading at center and linebacker? But those aren't glaring holes; they just could be upgraded.

One of the better ones I've seen. Would love to see a FA wide receiver in this mix as well. 10 games might be a stretch, though, after all Hue is still our coach, but this would definitely set us up on the path to respectability.

Not sure why everyone is so obsessed with trading down.  Every year it happens and every year we miss out on some of the best players in the league.  It has worked out far fewer times than it has failed.  They need to use the picks we have on players they think can turn this thing around.  Not trade down for another maybe next year approach.  There is no reason why this team can't do a 180 with all the draft capital and cap space they have this year.  I don't think trading down is the answer, especially this year.

8 minutes ago, OttoGrahamsGhost said:

Not sure why everyone is so obsessed with trading down.  Every year it happens and every year we miss out on some of the best players in the league.  It has worked out far fewer times than it has failed.  They need to use the picks we have on players they think can turn this thing around.  Not trade down for another maybe next year approach.  There is no reason why this team can't do a 180 with all the draft capital and cap space they have this year.  I don't think trading down is the answer, especially this year.

Actual facts and data almost 100% contradict your opinion fwiw.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Actual facts and data almost 100% contradict your opinion fwiw.

Which facts and data? The Browns have missed out on Pro-bowl/All Pro players consistently for extra draft picks that have helped them get to 0-16.  It makes sense if you are drafting in the teens or 20's where they aren't seen as the "blue chip" talents.

2 minutes ago, OttoGrahamsGhost said:

Which facts and data? The Browns have missed out on Pro-bowl/All Pro players consistently for extra draft picks that have helped them get to 0-16.  It makes sense if you are drafting in the teens or 20's where they aren't seen as the "blue chip" talents.

You act as if we haven’t whiffed on top 10 picks too...

https://www.vox.com/2015/4/30/8516007/nfl-draft-economics

There is no exact science to drafting. Find freaking good players. If you trade down and draft 2 great players it's better than staying at your pick and drafting 1 great player. It's about maximizing your assets. If you think you can find some studs in the 2nd round, trade down. If you don't think you can get away with waiting that long to address ______, you address _____ ASAP.

For example: This year, the WR class lacks a true #1 outside of maybe Calvin Ridley, whom I really like. If we were sitting at pick 10, for example, and Ridley were available, you have to take him. The chances of you getting a #1 in the 2nd round is unlikely.

Conversely, if we are sitting at pick #10 this year and we need a corner, trading down makes a little more sense. Sure Denzel Ward and Josh Jackson will be gone, but there are still plenty of great corners to be had in the later rounds. This is when it makes sense to trade down.

There is no black and white when it comes to the draft. We've aced the draft by trading down and we've screwed it up by trading down. We've aced the draft by staying put and we've crapped the bed by staying put. There's no point in trying to make everything so black and white. No one strategy is better or worse; GM's are better or worse. That's all.

Archived