Mock Draft/Off-season Thread

OhioG

Free Agency. 

Trade the Eagles 2nd and conditional pick in 2019 for Alex Smith QB 

Sign Phillip Gaines CB 3 year deal. 

Sign Jordy Nelson WR 3 year deal ( he’ll be released  thinking joe j back in the day here ) 

Sign Trumaine Johnson CB 4 year deal  

Draft 

1. Sam Darnold QB 

4. Saquon Barkley RB 

33. Calvin Ridley WR 

35. Marc Andrews TE 

65. Armani Watts FS 

I know it’s probably not what you guys want but Every year we go into fantasy land thinking we’re going to grab everyone and honestly no one wants to play here. So we have to go to some guys who are just vets or guys coming off a down year. 

A few things on free agency.

while we’re not going to get flashy players, Dorsey has stated we’re going to be big players this year. With that in mind, there are several free agents in key positions of need that will be available: CB, QB, WR.

pryor reportedly wants to come back. 

Butler, Johnson and amukamara are all immediate starters at corner

bridgewater, Bradford, keenum are all on the same team. I’d guess two of them leave. Cousins will most likely be available. On top of that you have viable trade partners in Cin for mccarron and KC for Smith. Both of those teams have let it be known these QBs are available for trade. 

We’ve shown recent ability to lock up players that would’ve garnered serious attention on the market. This is unlike even the previous year with the Mack and Schwartz debacles 

When you couple this with the amount of draft capital and cap space we have, we’re going to get a few free agents. Have faith my friends! We’re going to spend some cash this year.

11 hours ago, bosko1616 said:

Free Agency. 

Trade the Eagles 2nd and conditional pick in 2019 for Alex Smith QB 

Sign Phillip Gaines CB 3 year deal. 

Sign Jordy Nelson WR 3 year deal ( he’ll be released  thinking joe j back in the day here ) 

Sign Trumaine Johnson CB 4 year deal  

Draft 

1. Sam Darnold QB 

4. Saquon Barkley RB 

33. Calvin Ridley WR 

35. Marc Andrews TE 

65. Armani Watts FS 

I know it’s probably not what you guys want but Every year we go into fantasy land thinking we’re going to grab everyone and honestly no one wants to play here. So we have to go to some guys who are just vets or guys coming off a down year. 

Calvin Ridley isn't making it out of the first round. Probably not out of the top 15. Other than that I'm fine with the draft. Trumaine and Gaines are good grabs. I'd prefer a FS and CB rather than two CBs but you take what you can get. Jordy is physically breaking down, talk to the GB fans, they'll say it. He might be worth a one year flyer, but a three year deal with anything substantial guaranteed beyond the first year is a bad idea. I don't think we need to trade something for Smith if we're drafting someone #1 and not contending for the playoffs this year. So I'd go after Bradford, Keenum, Bridgewater, Tyrod, etc. in FA rather than moving a 2nd round pick (albeit a late one) for a placeholder.

QB & The Crazy Trade Down Mock

------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Round:

1(1) Browns Select: Sam Darnold QB USC

1(2) New York Giants select Baker Mayfield QB Oklahoma

1(3) Indianapolis Colts select Saquon Barkley RB Penn State (Jim Irsay resists trade offers to get his guy)

***Trade**** 1(4) to the NYJets for their 1st(6) + 2nd round picks in 2018 and their 1st and 3rd round in 2018. Jets and Broncos have a bidding war to come up and get Josh Rosen....the Jets offer wins out...they jump 1 spot ahead of the Broncos and get their QB1.

***Trade**** 1(6) to Buffalo for their 2-1st round picks (21st and 23nd overall-the Chiefs original selection) and their 3rd nd round pick in 2018 as well as their 1st round pick in 2019. Buffalo uses the 6th overall pick to select Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson.

1(21-via Buffalo) Browns Select: Carlton Davis CB Auburn: Best CB in the draft. Plays with length and poise. Mirror technique is effortless. Great competitor. Good ball skills. Needs to work on eye discipline. Already has CB1 press man ability. Day 1 starter impact. Lack of ball production will likely push him down the board and could see him go at the top of round 2.

1(23) Browns Select:  Joshua Jackson CB Iowa: Best ball skills and press man corner in the draft. Has limited hip flexibility and has serious long speed concerns that push him down the board. Needs to play more physical in run support on a consistent basis. Never panics and always looks for the ball. Competitive fire can make him lose focus and let mistakes interfere with the next play.

***Trade****  Trade to the 24th pick giving away future assets. Like the Njoku trade, he Browns trade back into he 1st round using our top of the 2nd round pick. 

**1(24) Browns Select: Denzel Ward CB Ohio State: Calm and smooth feet. Doesn't panic. Plays the WR hands w/ advanced technique. Often has bad eye discipline that gets him in trouble. Durability, size concerns, and a crazy run on QBs along with his bouts of serious inconsistent play could easily drop him to the top of the 2nd round. His frame is razor thin. Vernon Hargreaves although short was a thick athlete; however, Denzel's small stature and premium film especially when he plays the nickel and takes away slot WRs will have some scouting rooms debate if he has the physicality, functional strength, and eye discipline to match up with the top dominant WR1s in the league..

2nd Round:

2.(via Texans) Browns Select: Hayden Hurst TE South Carolina: Explosive, quick, advanced route running hands catching playmaker. He high points the ball every time. Has HB versatility to run routes out the backfield or lined up off the line. Concerns with blocking. More of a WR than TE. Injury concerns will push him into the 2nd round.

2. (via Jets) Browns Select: Mark Andrews TE Oklahoma: Seth Devalve is a nonfactor, has no acceleration/burst, and marginal hands, not a explosive or precise route runner. Randall Telfer is JAG. We need playmakers and should draft as if David Njoku is the only player in the TE room. Andrews has great hands and is a really good blocking TE. Great Ball skills and natural instinct and ability to get open. Can be on the field at the same time with Njoku./Hurst.

2.(via Eagles) Browns Select: Rashaad Penny RB SDSU: 1, 2 punch of Rashaad and Harris provides impact that will exceed Alvin Kamara and Mark Ingram.. In reality, is the best RB in the draft. Tremendous  patience and explosion once identifying the hole. Tough runner after contact. 1 of my favorite players in the draft. Would create positional force and decisive advantage on offense. Long speed concerns will push him down the board.

3rd Round:

3. Browns Select:  Damian Harris RB Alabama: Intangibles off the charts. Tough minded, great feet, and great vision. Long speed concerns and RB depth will push him down the board. Physicality and balance leads to most yards after contact.

3(via Buffalo): Browns Select: Armani Watts FS/SS TAMU: Ultra Competitor, fast mental trigger w/ ability to diagnose and range in the post or in the box. Forceful hitter. Question marks is he has the hip flexibility to play FS, or if he'd be better served as a SS. Injury issues and long speed concerns will drop him in the draft.

4th Round:

4. Browns Select: Trayvon Henderson FS/SS Hawaii: Pro bowl FS upside. Speed, power, ball skills, great tackler and the supreme ability to range in the post and be a force in run support. Will be a scout favorite and will likely go much higher. Right now is an unknown. One of my top 10 favorite players in the draft.

4. Browns Select:  Jordan Whitehead FS Pittsburgh: Jordan Whitehead is the most gifted athlete at the Safety position in the draft. Off field concerns will drop him down the board. Has RB movement skills, lacks eye discipline and knowledge of the game. When he's on he looks like a future all pro FS w/ Earl Thomas similarities. Inconsistent and gets caught in bad positions in tackling angles and in the pass game due to poor/underdeveloped recognition and diagnosis skills. Too talented to not make an impact and has KR and PR impact ability.

5th Round:

5. Browns Select:  Hunter Renfrow WR Clemson:  Should and likely will go higher.Self made, walk on player. Great hands, great route running, quick releases and strong YAC ability.

5. Browns Select:  Darren Carrington WR Utah: Has WR2 with WR1 impact ability. Special ball skills and explosive route runner. Inconsistent. Off the field issues will drop him way down the boards

6th Round:

6. Best OL available

7th Round:

7. BPA

2019: Extra picks - 1st round pick from Jets, 1st round pick from Buffalo, 3rd round pick from Jets,

38 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

My prediction for the top 4

1. Browns - Sam Darnold

2. Giants - Josh Rosen

3. Colts - Saquon Barkley

4. Browns - Orlando Brown Jr.

Given that the Browns have a bottom ranked pass defense, I dont know how you pass up the chance to get Fitzpatrick at 4 if the Colts do indeed go Barkley.

Really hope Joe Thomas gives it 1-2 more seasons. This is the part where the Browns need to stockpile playmakers at the top of the draft. Not draft offensive linemen.

Drango has also looked pretty solid starting in the place of JT so Im hoping that gives them trust to hold off on o-line upgrades until the 2nd round.

I’m not passing on Chubb or Minka if Barkley’s gone. Few thoughts. Even though he hasn’t looked great I would love Tyrod. Taylor. Smith/Taylor/Keenum 

second thought. With KC in some trouble financially I wonder if they’d be willing to part with Berry for cheap given his injury history. Still love him idc. I know he’s not what he was but he’s always been one of my favorite players 

6 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

I’m not passing on Chubb or Minka if Barkley’s gone. Few thoughts. Even though he hasn’t looked great I would love Tyrod. Taylor. Smith/Taylor/Keenum 

second thought. With KC in some trouble financially I wonder if they’d be willing to part with Berry for cheap given his injury history. Still love him idc. I know he’s not what he was but he’s always been one of my favorite players 

Right, I think at #4 it comes down to Barkley and Fitzpatrick 1a and 1b. If the Colts take Barkley, dont overthink it--just take Fitzpatrick.

The one weird thing I can see thrown into this plan is the QB trade ups. What happens when we are on the clock at #4 and the Broncos or Cardinals call wanting to swap spots because they want to take Mayfield/Allen when Fitzpatrick or Barkley are sitting there on the board.

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

Right, I think at #4 it comes down to Barkley and Fitzpatrick 1a and 1b. If the Colts take Barkley, dont overthink it--just take Fitzpatrick.

The one weird thing I can see thrown into this plan is the QB trade ups. What happens when we are on the clock at #4 and the Broncos or Cardinals call wanting to swap spots because they want to take Mayfield/Allen when Fitzpatrick or Barkley are sitting there on the board.

I’m listening. Depending what they offer. Picks and only picks I’d have to think about it. I really want picks and a proven bet player. Like Patrick Peterson or something 

I personally think it's going to go down like this:

1. Darnold

2. Rosen

3. Barkley

4. The Browns will have to make the decision on the #1 position player at their respective position, meaning either Fitzpatrick, Derwin James, Denzel Ward, Bradley Chubb, Zeus Brown Jr., or a TRADE. I'd lean towards trying to convince the Jets to trade up from #6 to #4 and we add more future draft capital. From there, we're still guaranteed that 4 of those 5 guys are still there. Heck, ALL of them may be there if someone LOVES Baker Mayfield high too...or even Lamar Jackson.

That said, the Browns will find a way to blow the #1 pick. Mark my words.

16 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

I’m listening. Depending what they offer. Picks and only picks I’d have to think about it. I really want picks and a proven bet player. Like Patrick Peterson or something 

lol I dont know man, they are already the youngest team in the NFL and thats 75% of the reason why they are horrible. Too many young players. I think its time for the Browns to sprinkle more of the Jamie Collins/Jason McCourty types in on this team instead of adding yet another 20 year old draft pick.

As a partial Broncos fan myself, Bradley Roby balling has Aqib Talib (who is from Cleveland) on the fence in Denver. If the Broncos want to swap picks at 4/5 so they can take Mayfield and they give the Browns Talib in return is something I would seriously be interested in over aquiring another draft pick.

Taking Darnold #1, Barkley at #5 and getting Aqib Talib with the swap along with signing Alex Smith is a heeeeellluva way to start the offseason.

37 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Given that the Browns have a bottom ranked pass defense, I dont know how you pass up the chance to get Fitzpatrick at 4 if the Colts do indeed go Barkley.

Really hope Joe Thomas gives it 1-2 more seasons. This is the part where the Browns need to stockpile playmakers at the top of the draft. Not draft offensive linemen.

Drango has also looked pretty solid starting in the place of JT so Im hoping that gives them trust to hold off on o-line upgrades until the 2nd round.

I think Joe T retires.

Archived