Is The Josh Allen Hype Forreal?

MistaBohmbastic

Look guys, I know I've only made two threads since my return to this site, and they both deal with potential QB's. Let me be clear, I'm not on a bandwagon just yet. I think Mayfield is my favorite with everything in mind (If Rosen doesn't make those comments I think he'd be my 1b.). But Peter King's mention of John Dorsey taking a liking to Josh Allen should be discussed. Supposedly his intel tells him that Allen is the next Wentz. I get the comparison, but for so many reasons I disagree. For the record, I'm not making a Lamar Jackson thread down the line. This is it.

Since then, there have been a number of media members reporting Allen's stock on the rise. 

Kid's got skillz. No doubt about it. But his sheer rawness and inconsistency leaves me uncertain about his future.

Those opposed have called him the next Paxton Lynch. I cannot say I agree with that, either. 

In my mind, my non-scout opinion, I believe he's somewhere in between on that spectrum. Drafting him will require indefinite patience. Can the Browns really afford that considering our current standing?

Another thing to consider: If we're sold on Allen, I can't see him worthy of #1. Gotta think Rosen will be the first QB off the board if we don't take one. 

Bottom line: Is this guy a future franchise QB? I truly hope I'm wrong, but I just cannot see it.

47 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

Look guys, I know I've only made two threads since my return to this site, and they both deal with potential QB's. Let me be clear, I'm not on a bandwagon just yet. I think Mayfield is my favorite with everything in mind (If Rosen doesn't make those comments I think he'd be my 1b.). But Peter King's mention of John Dorsey taking a liking to Josh Allen should be discussed. Supposedly his intel tells him that Allen is the next Wentz. I get the comparison, but for so many reasons I disagree. For the record, I'm not making a Lamar Jackson thread down the line. This is it.

Since then, there have been a number of media members reporting Allen's stock on the rise. 

Kid's got skillz. No doubt about it. But his sheer rawness and inconsistency leaves me uncertain about his future.

Those opposed have called him the next Paxton Lynch. I cannot say I agree with that, either. 

In my mind, my non-scout opinion, I believe he's somewhere in between on that spectrum. Drafting him will require indefinite patience. Can the Browns really afford that considering our current standing?

Another thing to consider: If we're sold on Allen, I can't see him worthy of #1. Gotta think Rosen will be the first QB off the board if we don't take one. 

Bottom line: Is this guy a future franchise QB? I truly hope I'm wrong, but I just cannot see it.

Just Say No to Allen. To wit: Here is a sampling of tweets on Allen.  

Rewatching Josh Allen's 9-19 for 92 yards vs Hawaii performance makes me nostalgic for Brett Smith's 2013 game against Hawaii where he went for 640 combined yards and 8 TDs

I look at the QBs in this draft, and I ask myself "which one has the smallest gap between who he is now, and who he can be in the NFL?" and the answer is clearly Baker Mayfield.

The answer for furthest is Josh Allen.

Doesn't mean he never gets there, just furthest to go.

Worst thing you can do is compare Josh Allen to Carson Wentz. Wentz was more accurate, a faster processor, and had all the intangibles Allen doesn't.

FYI: Full Broncos contingent will scout Baker Mayfield, as well.

Unrelated: been asking around about Wyoming QB Josh Allen with several teams. All complimented his size/arm, but not a one of them expected their team to take him.

Josh Allen will not go number one.

Could all this recent hype just be a smokescreen or something? I truly don't understand why he's so highly regarded. All indications are he's a good dude. In contrast to the Rosens and Mayfields on the radar, this might be found refreshing, but I cannot recall any examples where an attractive personality warranted a top five pick.

Players who are all tools and no polish like Allen are third-forth round prospects typically.

Allen is genuinely one of the most naturally gifted players I've ever seen. When he hits  a throw on the money he throws it better than anyone I've ever seen. So I get why people might value him higher than the total upside prospects who go third-forth. But hes also less polished than the average 'upside pick' playing the hardest position in pro sports. Hes even riskier than a normal all upside pick.

Third round as a development guy - hell yeah. First round, when he needs to start to be worth it. Hell no.

I don't want to draft any QB we have to be patient with. Draft the guy who can start week one while we are patient with Kizer. I'm not saying he has to be a pro-bowler year one but one that can be competent in the first few games and grow from there. I really don't care (right now anyway) if it's Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield or some other dude, draft the best one to start in 2018 and maybe he will also be the best of the bunch long term, it's a guessing game anyway lets give ourselves the best chance for a quick turnaround.

7 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I don't want to draft any QB we have to be patient with. Draft the guy who can start week one while we are patient with Kizer. I'm not saying he has to be a pro-bowler year one but one that can be competent in the first few games and grow from there. I really don't care (right now anyway) if it's Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield or some other dude, draft the best one to start in 2018 and maybe he will also be the best of the bunch long term, it's a guessing game anyway lets give ourselves the best chance for a quick turnaround.

Please sign a veteran to start the season and don't feed another young QB to the wolves in 2018. 

Just now, dawgattack said:

Please sign a veteran and don't feed another young QB to the wolves in 2018. 

What wolves? This isn't 1999. Our line is decent. Our weapons should be good enough. Just don't draft a sheep in wolves clothing and he'll be alright.

1 minute ago, Thomas5737 said:

What wolves? This isn't 1999. Our line is decent. Our weapons should be good enough. Just don't draft a sheep in wolves clothing and he'll be alright.

Kizer looked as good vs the Steelers on Sunday as Darnold and Mayfield looked in their college bowl games. We can't make the same mistake as this past year. Acquire a veteran this offseason and only let the #1 pick start when he is ready.

16 minutes ago, hornbybrown said:

Allen is Derek Anderson

No. Absolutely not.

Anyway, Allen definitely has potential and there's a lot to like. But no way I'd pass on Darnold, Rosen or Mayfield and select Allen instead.

4 minutes ago, dawgattack said:

Kizer looked as good vs the Steelers on Sunday as Darnold and Mayfield looked in their college bowl games. We can't make the same mistake as this past year. Acquire a veteran this offseason and only let the #1 pick start when he is ready.

Yeah no good vet will come here with us taking a QB #1. Smith isn't doing it. Cousins isn't doing it. If either are even available. We can get a crappy vet but what's the point.

4 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah no good vet will come here with us taking a QB #1. Smith isn't doing it. Cousins isn't doing it. If either are even available. We can get a crappy vet but what's the point.

Do you really think the Browns are going to start another season with a QB room that has a grand total of 0 wins in the NFL? Do you really think they'll do that? There is no doubt we'll be bringing in a vet.

Archived