Is The Josh Allen Hype Forreal?

MistaBohmbastic

56 minutes ago, dawgattack said:

Do you really think the Browns are going to start another season with a QB room that has a grand total of 0 wins in the NFL? Do you really think they'll do that? There is no doubt we'll be bringing in a vet.

Well if we draft a QB at 1, and we likely will, it will be a crappy vet or a stopgap 38 year old vet. It also needs to be a vet with a good arm and downfield accuracy to fit Hue's system. Who the heck would that be? Drew Brees? I'll take it but seems unlikely. Sam Bradford? May as well start the rookie week 1, he'd be starting soon enough. I don't want to sign a crappy vet to have a vet. At least not as a starter.

8 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

What wolves? This isn't 1999. Our line is decent. Our weapons should be good enough. Just don't draft a sheep in wolves clothing and he'll be alright.

Don’t disagree with any of this, but I’d keep them on the bench for a couple reasons.

First, there’s a huge learning curve, regardless of weapons.  I know folks want rookies to play, but rushing a rookie can be detrimental. The opposite isn’t the case imo.

Second, unless we’re looking at a REALLY mediocre vet, they should be able to win us more games (or at least not lose them) than a rookie. This team is in win now mode.  The fans, coaches, and front office aren’t going to tolerate rookie growing pains. 

They don’t have to sit the whole season, although I think it would really benefit guys like Allen and Darnold, but giving them a half a season to learn the schedule, how to prepare, etc can only help.

24 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Under 57% completion and over 600 career attempts). NFL guys include Ryan Lindley, Andrew Walter, Derek Anderson, Christian Hackenberg, Kyle Boller, Jake Locker, Jevan Snead, Joey Harrington, Tom Savage.

I absolutely love his tools, but the bold is what scares me.  After watching Kizer and his inaccuracy all season, I would prefer to have someone with some decent accuracy at least.  If Josh Allen had good accuracy, I would probably be beating the drum for him to be #1 overall despite not having monster stats but that's not the case unfortunately.

Peace!!!

11 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Well if we draft a QB at 1, and we likely will, it will be a crappy vet or a stopgap 38 year old vet. It also needs to be a vet with a good arm and downfield accuracy to fit Hue's system. Who the heck would that be? Drew Brees? I'll take it but seems unlikely. Sam Bradford? May as well start the rookie week 1, he'd be starting soon enough. I don't want to sign a crappy vet to have a vet. At least not as a starter.

We'll be drafting a rookie QB at #1 in late April long after we sign/trade for a vet. The vet won't be Drew Brees. It will be someone who buys time for our rookie QB so we don't repeat the same disaster as 2017 of putting in a QB who isn't yet ready even if he looks good in pre-season.

Let me preface this with I haven’t seen enough of him to form an opinion. But you guys saying he’s inaccurate, are you basing this off of his completion percentage or what you’ve seen on film? ie missing guys ala Kizer. I saw his bowl game and he was pretty accurate in that game and played great. His stats? 57.9% completions and 154 yards. 

48 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

Let me preface this with I haven’t seen enough of him to form an opinion. But you guys saying he’s inaccurate, are you basing this off of his completion percentage or what you’ve seen on film? ie missing guys ala Kizer. I saw his bowl game and he was pretty accurate in that game and played great. His stats? 57.9% completions and 154 yards. 

I watched the bowl game too. He was on fire that first quarter. Showed Aaron Rodgers type tools. Unreal fast ball and great movement ability.

Then he reverted to what I've seen of him in other games. He has this thing for bailing the pocket to his right for no reason. He also sacked himself at one point.

If his completion percentage wasn't 57%, I'd feel a lot better about him. 

Genuine question because I really don't know, but has there been a 57% college passer in the modern era that has gone to the NFL, dramatically improved that and been a great one?

I only know the terrible list of names that were <57% passers and were dreadful in the league.

1 hour ago, NudeTayne said:

We're gonna cry when the Steelers draft him. 

... Tears of joy maybe.

One thing I've learned with silly season:

If teams, or media members with close ties to teams, are trying to bash big time prospects, it is likely in an attempt to get said prospects to fall (why we've heard so much crud about Mayfield, Rosen).

If team, or media members with close ties to teams, won't stop yelling about how high someone who is clearly bad is going to go, it's likely because they don't like him and want to hype him so that someone they like more will be available at their pick.

Not 100%, but I've seen this happen A LOT the last five or six years.

1 hour ago, Aztec Hammer said:

I only know the terrible list of names that were <57% passers and were dreadful in the league.

Cause that's basically all there is. You're right, he would be a unicorn, the first of his kind. A 57% passer finding success in the NFL is like a 5'8 PG working out in the NBA.

Possible (oh how I love you now IT), but hiiiighly unlikely.

I mean, even more so, as 5'8 PGs have succeeded in the modern NBA, where sub 57% passers have yet to have a single success in the NFL.

2 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

... Tears of joy maybe.

If teams, or media members with close ties to teams, are trying to bash big time prospects, it is likely in an attempt to get said prospects to fall (why we've heard so much crud about Mayfield, Rosen).

If team, or media members with close ties to teams, won't stop yelling about how high someone who is clearly bad is going to go, it's likely because they don't like him and want to hype him so that someone they like more will be available at their pick.

Especially in unique situations like ours where we DEFINITELY want someone to fall to us at 4

OR

Want to trade pick #4 and trigger a bidding war for that pick in a draft where arguably the best QB prospect in Darnold is going back to school.

1 hour ago, Aztec Hammer said:

I watched the bowl game too. He was on fire that first quarter. Showed Aaron Rodgers type tools. Unreal fast ball and great movement ability.

Then he reverted to what I've seen of him in other games. He has this thing for bailing the pocket to his right for no reason. He also sacked himself at one point.

Genuine question because I really don't know, but has there been a 57% college passer in the modern era that has gone to the NFL, dramatically improved that and been a great one?

I didn’t see him regress in that game at all. I think they let off the gas and became more conservative. I thought he was fantastic. 

As far as the completion percentage thing I have no idea :)

2 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Matt Stafford was at 52%, then 55%, but finally turned the corner at 61% as a junior.

He's about the only one I can think of.

I'm a firm believer that accuracy is the greatest attribute for a QB and I don't think that much can be changed to help out in this department, unless it's a tremendous mechanical issue...and even then, NOT LIKELY.

2 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

We're gonna cry when the Steelers draft him. 

1 hour ago, freakygeniuskid said:

... Tears of joy maybe.

I just meant that he would turn into Ben Roethlisberger if the Steelers draft him because we are the Browns. Otherwise, yeah, he busts ?.

Archived