Possible trades this offseason?

Zukhyubern

5 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I think we'll be surprised at who stays and goes this year. Champ11 nailed it when he mentioned "culture". It's easy to be a team guy when you're winning. Not so much when it goes the other way. I've read posts about the defense mailing it in because the offense sucked. If one player fits that mold he should be gone.

We need a rebuild around core players. We're not even in any position to make the playoffs next year so why not ditch the "win now" mantra and focus on 2019/20.

Agreed, which is why Talib is basically gone, IMO.

2 hours ago, iLikeDefense said:

No one is advocating a Sanders trade, we are all suggesting there is a possibility it can happen. The OP was asking about possible realistic trades.

Do I think we may trade sanders? Yes. Do I think we should?  Probably not.

Exactly, I don’t really want to advocate for trades. Just want to know which ones are realistic and what they might look like. 

Seems like if anything certain players (VJ, Watson) might be cap casualties while with Talib and Saunders it’s just a question of can they still contribute at a high enough level to justify their price tag, and if not is there trade value there. 

4 hours ago, Broncofan said:

They're irrationally mad at him because he got paid.   When the WR's were (and still are) getting paid, even if they aren't the focal point of the O, and remain QB-dependent.   Dez and he were the top 2 WR's 1 year away from FA when their extensions were done - and DT's followed Dez.   Elway never sets the market, but he matches it, and he matched it there. 

People just resent the $ WR's make when they aren't the centerpieces.    But that's the reality of WR and the salary cap today.   

I disagree with this. I don't think anyones mad at DT because he got paid. I'm not. I do think the front office needs to re evaluate their priorities regarding the salary cap. It's the ultimate "zero sum" game. Spend in one area, go cheap in another. I dislike the business model right now. 40% (25 Million)of our already low offensive salary cap goes to WR's. That may almost make sense if you've got a PFM but when your entire QB expenditure is under $4 mil it gets more than a bit iffy. It's incredibly foolish. Lousy OL, lousy QB's but boy do we have a great 1and 2 WR.

Also, if we're letting Jerry Jones show us the way as far as contract value we really are in trouble.

2 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I disagree with this. I don't think anyones mad at DT because he got paid. I'm not. I do think the front office needs to re evaluate their priorities regarding the salary cap. It's the ultimate "zero sum" game. Spend in one area, go cheap in another. I dislike the business model right now. 40% (25 Million)of our already low offensive salary cap goes to WR's. That may almost make sense if you've got a PFM but when your entire QB expenditure is under $4 mil it gets more than a bit iffy. It's incredibly foolish. Lousy OL, lousy QB's but boy do we have a great 1and 2 WR.

Also, if we're letting Jerry Jones show us the way as far as contract value we really are in trouble.

Agree we are too imbalanced in how we allocate salary at present - but when DT was up for a contract 14M was the going rate - it wasn’t just Dez recall Megatron went at 17M plus.  Mere mortals went lower.   It wasn’t just DAL it was the market as a whole.   Last offseason had a small correction but now we are seeing the surge again. 

You may not have been upset at the deal initially save for the team balance but overall the public cry went from “we can’t let DT walk” in 2015 to “the guy’s a bum” and questions on trading him as soon as the 2015-2016 offseason even on the old forum.   None of that is coincidence.  In 2013-2015 the scarce resource (besides QB) was the elite WR.    We invested in Lynch dearly to be better elsewhere.  Now that’s a clear bust but I get the thinking.   

As for long term team balance - the key again falls to our draft woes.  Cody Latimer and now C-Henderson were supposed to be our future cheap WR2.   Instead we had to extend Sanders into salaries where he’s no longer a value WR2.  Latimer wasn’t the same kind of crazy reach that C-Henderson was...just didn’t work out in a draft where nearly everyone else did.  C-Henderson took a redshirt year so parting ways with Sanders literally trades 1 problem while addressing others with more $.     Sucks for us to be sure.  

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Agree we are too imbalanced in how we allocate salary at present - but when DT was up for a contract 14M was the going rate - it wasn’t just Dez recall Megatron went at 17M plus.  Mere mortals went lower.   It wasn’t just DAL it was the market as a whole.   Last offseason had a small correction but now we are seeing the surge again. 

You may not have been upset at the deal initially save for the team balance but overall the public cry went from “we can’t let DT walk” in 2015 to “the guy’s a bum” and questions on trading him as soon as the 2015-2016 offseason even on the old forum.   None of that is coincidence.  In 2013-2015 the scarce resource (besides QB) was the elite WR.    We invested in Lynch dearly to be better elsewhere.  Now that’s a clear bust but I get the thinking.   

As for long term team balance - the key again falls to our draft woes.  Cody Latimer and now C-Henderson were supposed to be our future cheap WR2.   Instead we had to extend Sanders into salaries where he’s no longer a value WR2.  Latimer wasn’t the same kind of crazy reach that C-Henderson was...just didn’t work out in a draft where nearly everyone else did.   Sucks for us to be sure.  

Actually I was upset at the initial deal. I thought it was a foolish fund allocation. It's just too much money to spend at that position.

It has nothing to do with DT's play or his market value. It has to do with the positional worth in the ultimate team sport. Once again, it's a zero sum game. When you spend that kind of money on one position, other positions suffer. Denver right now is a classic example.

I think we'll be surprised at who stays and goes this year. Champ11 nailed it when he mentioned "culture". It's easy to be a team guy when you're winning. Not so much when it goes the other way. I've read posts about the defense mailing it in because the offense sucked. If one player fits that mold he should be gone.

I usually agree with this, but in the case of this team I can understand the defense eventually losing their minds. Imagine being a Super Bowl caliber elite defense, winning that game, not really declining too much but going absolutely nowhere because the offense is literally bottom 3. Its sure to wear on someone. For 1.5-1.75 years the defense played elite only to watch the offense piss it away. Imagine stopping a team and then watching the offense go 3-out over and over and over. Causing TO's and never seeing points put up by the offense.

Imagine a factory job where the first line is operating effortlessly and highly efficient only to see the second line constantly underperform, and having their underperformance mean you miss out on bonus (Playoff). Imagine that for over 1.5 years, then imagine that your outrageously passionate about this factory job for whatever reason. It would drive you to drink over time.

The defense was bound to break at some point. These are only men.

9 hours ago, BrettFavre004 said:

We'll give you Brent Hundley straight up for him.

I thought Hundley would play better than he did. I don't see Denver trading for him, but if they did, it would be Talib for Hundley and a second rounder since the Broncos are giving up the better, more established player.

I thought Hundley would play better than he did. I don't see Denver trading for him, but if they did, it would be Talib for Hundley and a second rounder since the Broncos are giving up the better, more established player.

Talib at his age, contract and especially testy attitude is definitely not bringing back a R2.

I think that Wade may be drawn to him though. Trumaine is going to get a huge, long term, high guaranteed money type deal. They could give us a R4 and probably get an elite CB in Talib for 2 years at 19M total. That's a steal these days.

I don't want to lose him though. He is a punk, but he is our punk and he is a leader on that defense. I would expect a decent decline in the defense overall if Talib is moved/cut.

8 hours ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

I think Elway bites at the first 6th round pick that's offered for Talib this offseason.

More likely that he gets cut than that he plays out 2018-2019 on the roster. 

13 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

I think Elway bites at the first 6th round pick that's offered for Talib this offseason.

More likely that he gets cut than that he plays out 2018-2019 on the roster. 

The fact that Talib openly acknowledges this (not being on a Den roster) as a real potential in his end of year press interview  shows how strong of a possibility this is.   Ward was pushing for an extension last offseason as a contrast to perception.  

Regarding Talib, you don't get better as a team when you trade or release an All-Pro caliber player at one of the most important positions on the field. The best thing to do with Talib is offer him an extension to lower his cap number this year but structure the contract in a way we can get out of it with a minimal dead cap hit two to three years from now when his skill set diminishes. Reducing his cap number is imperative signing Kirk Cousins is our goal, which I do believe is option 1A for Elway & Co. right now. 

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

The fact that Talib openly acknowledges this (not being on a Den roster) as a real potential in his end of year press interview  shows how strong of a possibility this is.   Ward was pushing for an extension last offseason as a contrast to perception.  

What are the compensatory pick implications of trading him vs cutting him? 

Archived