Vikings OC Pat Shurmer hired to be HC

Acgott

6 hours ago, w4rrior723 said:

Shurmur was OC under Spagnuolo in St. Louis. That's the only reason I'm asking. Do you think that will be the familiarity he's looking for? We shall see.

It is a possibility, definitely something I've considered, an something we should be prepared for. However, Shurmur has been around for a while and his rolodex is pretty expansive, I'd imagine. I don't think he will be our DC next year. The Giants know we need a total overhaul and I think that trumps their love for Spags.

2 hours ago, minutemancl said:

It is a possibility, definitely something I've considered, an something we should be prepared for. However, Shurmur has been around for a while and his rolodex is pretty expansive, I'd imagine. I don't think he will be our DC next year. The Giants know we need a total overhaul and I think that trumps their love for Spags.

Yeah, I think they'll be hands-off, despite loving Spags. I'd say they are probably mandating a 4-3 base but are allowing him to pick other than that. Spags is a likeable guy and the type of personality you want one of the NYG leaders to be but his sample size of failures is just so large at this point. It's a really difficult sell to retain him as DC.

Spags is a good dude and if Shurmur decides to keep him on willingly then I'd be fine with it. What I wouldn't want is Gettleman and Mara forcing him to keep anyone he doesn't want. As for Spags...I don't blame the defense all that much for the collapse. Yes they were bad last year but with how much this offense was going 3 and out (28th), most punts per drive (30th), and (26th) in plays per drive... do you really blame them for falling apart? They put in an awful amount of work the last 2 seasons while the offense sputtered along.

2 hours ago, Shockey1979 said:

Spags is a good dude and if Shurmur decides to keep him on willingly then I'd be fine with it. What I wouldn't want is Gettleman and Mara forcing him to keep anyone he doesn't want. As for Spags...I don't blame the defense all that much for the collapse. Yes they were bad last year but with how much this offense was going 3 and out (28th), most punts per drive (30th), and (26th) in plays per drive... do you really blame them for falling apart? They put in an awful amount of work the last 2 seasons while the offense sputtered along.

I tend to agree with you. I'll go with whatever Shurmur wants. If Spags is his guy I'm completely fine with that. I know the defense was horrific last year, but they were in basically the worst circumstances possible. With the horrible offense, drama throughout the franchise, and players being injured. It was a top 5 defense the year before when relatively healthy with all the same players. The players seem to love Spags and have a ton of respect for him. That being said, if they want to part wants I'm okay with that as well.

On 1/16/2018 at 6:52 PM, bzane said:

@Go_Giants- Not sure how to feel about this. On the one hand, I keep reading that Shurmur is an offensive mastermind, and a quarterback guru (or "whisperer", whatever that means); then, on the other, I have read opinions that he is not a strong enough leader and locker-room presence. What do you think? 

I think one of the reasons why the Giants wanted their next coach to have been an experience head coach is to make sure that the coach would have experience in leading  a locker room. He no doubt learned from his experience as Cleveland head coach and also learned when he was the assistant coach and offensive coordinator of other teams. I think he will do just fine.

15 hours ago, w4rrior723 said:

I tend to agree with you. I'll go with whatever Shurmur wants. If Spags is his guy I'm completely fine with that. I know the defense was horrific last year, but they were in basically the worst circumstances possible. With the horrible offense, drama throughout the franchise, and players being injured. It was a top 5 defense the year before when relatively healthy with all the same players. The players seem to love Spags and have a ton of respect for him. That being said, if they want to part wants I'm okay with that as well.

I think Spags is a good guy and got a bad break being with Mcadoo. However I would prefer if he was not our defensive  coordinator. The defense was bad last year even before the injuries. Plus the way the tight end lit us up game after at a record pace wad embarrassing. What ever defensive system he used in the past it is not working any more. We could use a change.

I can't remember where I read this, but Coughlin regularly reeled in Spags's more outrageous schemes and forced him to keep it simple. It would seem as though Spags's success is predicated a lot by the head coach he is working under. When he gets too 'cutesy' and bold with his schemes, it never works out. If he does happen to stay as our DC, I assume Shurmur would do so with that knowledge. I also don't expect Shurmur to call plays when he's here, meaning we should be getting a capable, established OC as well. 

33 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I can't remember where I read this, but Coughlin regularly reeled in Spags's more outrageous schemes and forced him to keep it simple. It would seem as though Spags's success is predicated a lot by the head coach he is working under. When he gets too 'cutesy' and bold with his schemes, it never works out. If he does happen to stay as our DC, I assume Shurmur would do so with that knowledge. I also don't expect Shurmur to call plays when he's here, meaning we should be getting a capable, established OC as well. 

Is this it? From NFL.com:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000907307/article/tom-coughlins-unique-success-vs-bill-belichick-explained

2) Simple philosophy

Carr: In New York, and from what I see in Jacksonville this season, Coughlin's teams run very simple schemes on offense and defense. When Steve Spagnuolo was the Giants' defensive coordinator in 2007 and '08, he'd always want to do these elaborate defenses, and Coughlin immediately shut those down. It sounds crazy, but Coughlin wanted the opposing offense to know the scheme -- even Tom Brady. Coughlin was confident that his players could win with physicality and discipline, no matter who was on the other side -- and it often worked. There are a ton of coaches who try to outsmart Belichick and Brady, but Coughlin's not one of them. The Coughlin-led Giants didn't do that, and I don't see the Jaguars trying to do that this weekend, either. The goal is to beat them with physicality.

What would you guys think about maybe Hiring Gary Kubiak to be our OC? He has said he is feeling a lot healthier, and would like to coach again in a reduced role? I think that would be an immense pick up if we could get him. What about Wade Wilson, with Dak's rise I'm surprised he doesn't get more love maybe it's cause he's 58. I also like the idea of going after Ken Dorsey what he did with Cam is spectacular. DeFilippo is still a guy everyone is talking about. Lemme know what you think? 

1 hour ago, bzane said:

Is this it? From NFL.com:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000907307/article/tom-coughlins-unique-success-vs-bill-belichick-explained

2) Simple philosophy

Carr: In New York, and from what I see in Jacksonville this season, Coughlin's teams run very simple schemes on offense and defense. When Steve Spagnuolo was the Giants' defensive coordinator in 2007 and '08, he'd always want to do these elaborate defenses, and Coughlin immediately shut those down. It sounds crazy, but Coughlin wanted the opposing offense to know the scheme -- even Tom Brady. Coughlin was confident that his players could win with physicality and discipline, no matter who was on the other side -- and it often worked. There are a ton of coaches who try to outsmart Belichick and Brady, but Coughlin's not one of them. The Coughlin-led Giants didn't do that, and I don't see the Jaguars trying to do that this weekend, either. The goal is to beat them with physicality.

Yup. Good find. It was that interview with Carr and O'hara about Coughlin. Its a good read. 

Well, gosh- sorry for the Vikings- that was an interesting story-line, the chance that they could be the first competing team to host the Super Bowl- but now, the Giants can approach, formally, Pat Shurmur (and then, presumably his staff, Del Rio, etc.), rather than waiting for two more weeks, and the playing of the Super Bowl:

"Now that the Vikings are eliminated from the playoffs — routed by the Eagles in Sunday night’s NFC Championship — the Giants can hire Shurmur at any time. They are expected to meet with him Tuesday for a second interview and a contract will soon follow."

On 1/22/2018 at 12:26 PM, YogiBiz said:

Shurmur would probably hire a OC who he has absolute faith in. I hope he can find add good OL coach to the staff, this team needs it. 

There are about 2 good OL coaches in the NFL and they are both very happily employed. If the Giants want a truly good OL coach, offer Lecharles Bentley as much money as you can and ask him to put his business on hold for the season. 

Archived