Vikings OC Pat Shurmer hired to be HC

Acgott

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

There are about 2 good OL coaches in the NFL and they are both very happily employed. If the Giants want a truly good OL coach, offer Lecharles Bentley as much money as you can and ask him to put his business on hold for the season. 

@minutemancl- You know a lot more about it than I do (that's fer sure), but is LeCharles Bentley really as good as he's reputed to be? I mean, the two Giants' lineman who have attended his camp have been Weston Richburg and John Jerry. Richburg, who not only touted the benefits of the LCB Proving Grounds For Sexy Blockers but even called out his other, non-attending linemates for not partaking, if anything has disappointed these last two years. John Jerry has been John Jerry, sort of a good swing backup lineman able to play multiple positions- although he did seem to find a home at left guard last year. I mean, there's all this hype for LeCharles's camp, but I'm not seeing such glowing returns from its graduates.

1 hour ago, bzane said:

@minutemancl- You know a lot more about it than I do (that's fer sure), but is LeCharles Bentley really as good as he's reputed to be? I mean, the two Giants' lineman who have attended his camp have been Weston Richburg and John Jerry. Richburg, who not only touted the benefits of the LCB Proving Grounds For Sexy Blockers but even called out his other, non-attending linemates for not partaking, if anything has disappointed these last two years. John Jerry has been John Jerry, sort of a good swing backup lineman able to play multiple positions- although he did seem to find a home at left guard last year. I mean, there's all this hype for LeCharles's camp, but I'm not seeing such glowing returns from its graduates.

Not all the best linemen are going to OL Performance, but all the linemen who are going get better. If you look at videos and talks and read what LeCharles teaches, you'll see he's on another level. He is a smart guy and, maybe more importantly, has experience playing in the NFL at a high level. Look at every OL coach and count how many of them have played in the NFL. That experience, moreso at OL than anywhere else, is invaluable when teaching. 

It is a moot point though. Bentley is successful at what he is doing so he most likely will not leave. Unless there is a prodigy somewhere out there and we hire them, we will most likely be stuck with a mediocre OL coach while Munchak and Scarnecchia will continue to transform average players into studs. The knowledge coaches are passing down at positions like WR and DE has evolved while it hasn't yet for OL. The college game is so different and hardly anyone can relate and translate skills from these young players into success in the NFL. It will happen eventually, probably soon, but it hasn't yet. 

Actually, come to think of it, one team, I think it is the Bears, hired Notre Dame's OL coach and he may be one to look out for. He's a really good coach. 

17 hours ago, Acgott said:

Not a fan of this, but we will see how it goes.

From what i can remember, Shurmur had periods of time in Cleveland where he called plays and where he didn't. Gotta imagine he knows what he's getting himself into.

On the positive side, this gives Shurmur more freedom to perhaps get someone less experienced but shows a lot of promise as offensive coordinator. If he wasnt going to call plays, he'd have to make sure he hired a proven OC. 

54 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

From what i can remember, Shurmur had periods of time in Cleveland where he called plays and where he didn't. Gotta imagine he knows what he's getting himself into.

On the positive side, this gives Shurmur more freedom to perhaps get someone less experienced but shows a lot of promise as offensive coordinator. If he wasnt going to call plays, he'd have to make sure he hired a proven OC. 

Shurmur’s first year in Cleveland he had no OC. His second year he had Brad Childress as his OC.

i think we need an experienced OC or QB coach. This is the man that’s going to be spending the most time with our QBOTF. We don’t want someone that doesn’t have the experience working with young QBs.

Archived