The Chelsea FC Thread

Imarobot

Well here is our new thread to discuss our Premier League champions in the new forum.

Probably one of the biggest topics surrounding Chelsea right now is our perceived lack of squad depth now that Chalobah and Ake have left the team and Matic seems right behind them. I'd say we clearly need to bring in some cover for the central midfield position and we also need help at the wingback spots. 

We're apparently interested in Jeremy Toljan from Hoffenheim, who I'll admit I've never seen play. Anyone have any opinions on him?

I must say I have been very disappointed with Chelsea this summer, particularly their attitude towards youth players.

Nathan Ake & Nathaniel Chalobah both deserved a shot at the first team, instead they spent £80m on Rudiger (2 years older than Ake and with 0 PL experience) and Bakayoko (7 months older than Chalobah with 0 PL experience).

I don't seem them holding onto Loftus-Cheek or Zouma after this season.

Don't get me wrong it angers me to see United trying to sign back players like Keane who we let go for almost nothing, and lining up a £50m bid for Perisic when we have Rashford, Martial, Miki etc. available.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4736192/Chelsea-defender-Tomas-Kalas-rejoins-Fulham-loan.html

The conveyor belt continues.

GOALKEEPERS

Nathan Baxter (Woking)

Bradley Collins (Forest Green Rovers)

Jamal Blackman (Sheffield United) 

DEFENDERS

Ola Aina (Hull City)

Fankaty Dabo (Vitesse Arnhem)

Todd Kane (Groningen)

Jay Dasilva (Charlton Athletic)

Kurt Zouma (Stoke City)

Tomas Kalas (Fulham)

Michael Hector (Hull)   

MIDFIELDERS 

Charlie Colkett (Vitesse Arnhem) 

Mason Mount (Vitesse)

Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Crystal Palace)

Kasey Palmer (Huddersfield Town)

Danilo Pantic (Partizan Belgrade)

Lucas Piazon (Fulham)

Josimar Quintero (Rostov)

Marco van Ginkel (PSV)

FORWARDS

Tammy Abraham (Swansea City)

Izzy Brown (Brighton & Hove Albion)

Ike Ugbo (Barnsley)

9 hours ago, texans_uk said:

What's sad is only Kurt Zouma stands a valid chance of playing for the first team.

Chelsea just bleed youth talent.

I'd say Van Ginkel could actually end up in the Chelsea first team if he could ever stay healthy. Injuries are honestly the only thing that have prevented Zouma and Van Ginkel from becoming regulars.

Of the other loanees listed, really only Mason Mount, Loftus-Cheek, and Abraham are viewed as potential future Chelsea players and while I would definitely love to see more youth players make it to the first team, more often than not they're just not good enough. It still would be nice to see some players be given the opportunity to prove if they're good enough though.

28 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

Why send Zouma out on loan this year though? 

Cahill, Luiz, Christensen, Zouma, Azpilicueta is a strong choice. With Rudiger now, one of them has to drop out. 

If Zouma performs well on loan then he'll come back next year and fill Cahill's spot. Its not an ideal situation, but it is what it is I suppose.

On another note, Kondogbia just scored an own goal from 40 yards out against Chelsea. Never seen that before xD

pretty concerned about this upcoming season. lack of depth at multiple spots.

I liked the Morata and Rudiger signings. Morata especially, I've always been high on him, and I preferred him to Lukaku. Rudiger looks like a solid player. 

but yo....this midfield. why did we sell Chalobah for pennies? we could have used him now that Matic is going to United. our only backup MF right now is Cesc Fabregas. if Kante/Bakayoko go down, what happens? 

frustrating window. looks like we're going to miss out on Alex Sandro too. Allegri said he's going nowhere like an hour ago 

15 hours ago, persiandud said:

pretty concerned about this upcoming season. lack of depth at multiple spots.

I liked the Morata and Rudiger signings. Morata especially, I've always been high on him, and I preferred him to Lukaku. Rudiger looks like a solid player. 

but yo....this midfield. why did we sell Chalobah for pennies? we could have used him now that Matic is going to United. our only backup MF right now is Cesc Fabregas. if Kante/Bakayoko go down, what happens? 

frustrating window. looks like we're going to miss out on Alex Sandro too. Allegri said he's going nowhere like an hour ago 

I agree selling Chalobah might have been a mistake, but don't sleep on Lewis Baker either, who has finally rejoined the squad after being on loan at Vitesse since 2015.

Edited by Imarobot