The Chelsea FC Thread

Imarobot

46 minutes ago, Imarobot said:

He's effective on the right for Belgium and was effective as winger for PSV . He plays centrally for Napoli because he's their best center forward, that doesn't mean he's ineffective on the right.

Yeah I have to disagree. Mertens may not be ineffective at RW, but buying him to play there is absolute waste. He’s no better than Willian or even Pedro there which is what we should be going for. 

1 minute ago, Kip Smithers said:

Yeah I have to disagree. Mertens may not be ineffective at RW, but buying him to play there is absolute waste. He’s no better than Willian or even Pedro there which is what we should be going for. 

Doesn't Mertens have like a 25m release clause? If we move on from Willian and Pedro which has been rumored I don't see what the problem is with bringing Mertens into the attacking rotation on the cheap. 

3 minutes ago, Imarobot said:

Doesn't Mertens have like a 25m release clause? If we move on from Willian and Pedro which has been rumored I don't see what the problem is with bringing Mertens into the attacking rotation on the cheap. 

As a rotational player sure. But we won’t actually have improved in that area. We finished 5th we should be going for upgrades and making additions at the very least. Malcom, Zaha, Lozano. We need a true #10 alongside Hazard. We haven’t had one since Mata left.

Just now, Kip Smithers said:

As a rotational player sure. But we won’t actually have improved in that area. We finished 5th we should be going for upgrades and making additions at the very least. Malcom, Zaha, Lozano. We need a true #10 alongside Hazard. We haven’t had one since Mata left.

If we're going for big money signings on the wing then I assume Leon Bailey has to be the number 1 option. Although I'd get pretty excited about Chucky too. Palace are going to demand way too much for Zaha and I'll admit to never really seeing much of Malcom.

Just now, Kip Smithers said:

Agreed.  Signing guys just because they are cheap is just not a smart strategy (see Bakayoko, Drinkwater, Barkley, etc.).  The club should be aiming to sign players who can help us win the CL (or EPL at the very minimum).  This is probably the most important summer since Roman's early ones.  We could easily lose Courtois (who clearly appeared to be playing for a move...was dominant in the WC and hasn't looked that good for Chelsea in quite some time) and Hazard who is the entire attack.  Goal #1 should be to keep those 2.  And then make ambitious signings.  Jorginho would be great.  I liked what I saw out of Golovin, just worry that his stamina might take a hit if Russia is juicing so a risky signing.  Rumored to be in for both of them.  Wide options I like Leon Bailey the best, but also Pulisic and Chucky.  We need a 10 for sure, not sure who I like best there that is a realistic type signing.  Also need outside backs on both sides...starting caliber not just depth.  It is a pivotal summer and given how incompetent the board appears to be...starting to get quite worrying.  We could trot out:

Lukaku

Hazard KdB Salah

Kante who cares

Hate looking at the past and playing what if, but that is a side capable of winning the CL.  The current roster we have now is insulting to Hazard and if we don't make ambitious signings I hope he goes to Real Madrid, he deserves to have a chance to win one. 

• 3 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

He continues to impress me. More faith in him than RLC. He needs as much playing time as possible.

Agree with you on RLC.  To me, he lacks the drive/winning mentality of a top class player and just relies on his ridiculous talent. 

9 minutes ago, PAW said:

Agree with you on RLC.  To me, he lacks the drive/winning mentality of a top class player and just relies on his ridiculous talent. 

It’s got nothing to do with drive or mentality. I just think that yes he is very talented but I still don’t know where to play him. He hasn’t got the engine to be box to box. Doesn’t have the temperament and understanding to be a holding player. And isn’t creative enough to be a 10. He’s basically a clone of Barkley. I think his role is should be akin to Dembélé.,

Edited by Kip Smithers

9 hours ago, Imarobot said:

He is quickly rising to become one of my least favorite Chelsea players in the entire time I've supported Chelsea. Just shut up you snake, leave our club alone.

I don’t like how he handled the transfer and putting us in a position of where we had to overpay for his replacement. But I don’t have an issue with that statement. Him and Hazard are very close, to the point that he said he would sign a contract if Hazard did. The badge kissing part I get why some may object to that, but the fact that he’s willing to say that having played for Atletico shows much of a dream come true it is.