The Chelsea FC Thread

Imarobot

16 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Nah that was directed at Baka. If it was Mike Dean, then pretty sure would’ve heard it throughout the duration of the game. I didn’t watch the first half but he was having a horrible game apparently. 

According to some people on reddit that claim they were at the game they say it was directed at Mike Dean but who knows what that's worth. In all honesty I could see it being a little of both.

• 1 month later...
On 4/5/2018 at 2:41 PM, texans_uk said:

Sad to hear about the loss of Ray Wilkins, was an actual legend on and off the field.

I urge anyone to read the tributes made to him, sounds like he was a real top man.

Spent some time at Fulham as coach and was very highly thought of as a coach and as a person. I'd be lying if I said I knew anything about him as a player but it sounds like the sport lost a hell of a man. 

10 hours ago, LeeEvans said:

Spent some time at Fulham as coach and was very highly thought of as a coach and as a person. I'd be lying if I said I knew anything about him as a player but it sounds like the sport lost a hell of a man. 

Was incredibly underrated as a player. 82 caps in an era when English teams were the cream of European football. 

• 1 month later...

Today we're being linked to Slavisa Jokanovic. He doesn't have experience at a top club but he's been an absolute revelation everywhere he's managed so far. I'd honestly be pretty excited for a hire like that. Maybe @LeeEvans can give us a little more insight. 

2 hours ago, Imarobot said:

Today we're being linked to Slavisa Jokanovic. He doesn't have experience at a top club but he's been an absolute revelation everywhere he's managed so far. I'd honestly be pretty excited for a hire like that. Maybe @LeeEvans can give us a little more insight. 

Anybody but Luis Enrique.

3 hours ago, Imarobot said:

I would certainly be interested to see how it would turn it out. Jokanovic has won promotion twice (once with Watford) and that is a pretty impressive achievement. He really likes to play some attractive football and seems to have a pretty good eye for talent and has an impressive man manager ability. He didn't rotate the squad much but still fostered a positive team spirit among players that weren't playing much. 

Some potential problems I could see are that he doesn't really seem to have a plan B. I can't remember him doing much to change things when they aren't working and his substitutions can be a little bit questionable. The other thing that I could see being a stumbling block is that Jokanovic had a huge power struggle with Fulham over who has the power over transfers and it would be interesting to see if he would give up that power. I'd be interested to see if his lack of rotation would change given the more talent available to him or, if he refused to rotate, if the bigger egos of Chelsea would show more frustration than Fulham's.

• 3 weeks later...

Found this interesting if true

In a bizarre twist, it’s reported Chelsea are trying to avoid paying Antonio Conte’s pay-off, claiming he cost them money for Diego Costa.

The situation has dragged on for months and a deal is practically done with Maurizio Sarri, even if he has to work out a gentlemen’s agreement with Napolito end his contract.

Chelsea face having to pay for two tacticians, as Conte has a clause bagging him €11m between his salary and that of his staff if sacked before the June 2019 expiry.

According to English newspapers today, Roman Abramovich’s lawyers are at work trying to argue that Conte owes them compensation for ruining the Diego Costa situation.

Conte famously sent a text message to the striker last summer, informing him that he was no longer part of the team’s plans.

Costa returned to Brazil on vacation and refused to return, eventually agreeing a €66m move to his old club Atletico Madrid in January.

The actions of the Coach cost Chelsea money and put them in a very weak bargaining position with Atleti.

Throughout the whole Sarri-Conte situation, Chelsea have been using delaying tactics to find loopholes and avoid paying out for either of the two tacticians.

https://www.football-italia.net/123425/chelsea-sue-conte-over-costa

The whole Conte/Sarri situation is so ugly right now.

Looks like they've agreed a package for Sarri.

Rumours they are trying to use a legal loophole to get out of paying off Conte.

All while Abramovich is somewhere on his yacht sunbathing.

6 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

All while Abramovich is somewhere on his yacht sunbathing.

Possibly off the Montenegrin coast assuming the driver I had when I was there on holiday wasn't lying

Plus, its not like he can be there in person is it?  Doesn't he still not have a visa?

2 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Possibly off the Montenegrin coast assuming the driver I had when I was there on holiday wasn't lying

Plus, its not like he can be there in person is it?  Doesn't he still not have a visa?

He doesn't have a visa. And you are probably right about Montenegro.

I visited in 2016 as I have a good friend who lives in Podgorica and we spent some time on the coast and I was told it's just full of rich Russians.

• 2 weeks later...

Unpopular opinion but if we get Sarri, out of all of his players at Napoli the one I want the most Mertens. I don't care that he's 31 and not considered a 'world class' player (I disagree) but him on the right with Eden on the left would be AMAZING in Sarri's system. 

Edited by Imarobot

13 minutes ago, Imarobot said:

Unpopular opinion but if we get Sarri, out of all of his players at Napoli the one I want the most Mertens. I don't care that he's 31 and not considered a 'world class' player (I disagree) but him on the right with Eden on the left would be AMAZING in Sarri's system. 

You do realize he plays centrally for Sarri? He is nowhere near as effective on the right. 

2 minutes ago, PAW said:

You do realize he plays centrally for Sarri? He is nowhere near as effective on the right. 

He's effective on the right for Belgium and was effective as winger for PSV . He plays centrally for Napoli because he's their best center forward, that doesn't mean he's ineffective on the right.

1 minute ago, Imarobot said:

He's effective on the right for Belgium and was effective as winger for PSV . He plays centrally for Napoli because he's their best center forward, that doesn't mean he's ineffective on the right.

He plays him there because it is his best position. I’d be furious if we bought him as a RW. Nowhere near good enough to play there for Chelsea. 

• Like 1