The Chelsea FC Thread

Imarobot

11 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

erghh..I'm not hating, but not overwhelmed by Silva's signing. He's not the Thiago Silva we all know anymore. 

Strong disagree. He's a young 35 since he started his playing career at 24 I believe. He played well in a high line for PSG for many years , including this past season as they made their way to the CL final. Speaking to some of my friends who watch Ligue 1, they say he is still elite and has decent pace at this age. He's an incredible signing, I'm shocked we were able to secure him. Just need a keeper now and the defence looks a lot more solid 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2020 at 3:04 AM, persiandud said:

Strong disagree. He's a young 35 since he started his playing career at 24 I believe. He played well in a high line for PSG for many years , including this past season as they made their way to the CL final. Speaking to some of my friends who watch Ligue 1, they say he is still elite and has decent pace at this age. He's an incredible signing, I'm shocked we were able to secure him. Just need a keeper now and the defence looks a lot more solid 

Comparing his performances in Ligue 1 to the opposition he'll face in PL strikes me as a mistake. The CL is a better barometer, and he was OK. To say he's still elite - strong disagree. 

He's an upgrade though, so It's a good signing overall.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/8/2020 at 11:46 AM, persiandud said:

Oh wow, someone brought up the disparity in quality between Ligue 1 and the Premier League. No one's ever done that before 

In my opinion, he didn't look just ok in the Champions League. He was exceptional 

Didn't look too exceptional yesterday, did he...

Unfair to expect Thiago to be anything else other than what he is - a decent CB who used to be elite.

7 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Unfair to expect Thiago to be anything else other than what he is - a decent CB who used to be elite.

It's one match. Other than his defensive error that led to a goal, he was solid. 

You're rather petty to come back to this thread lol I commend that 

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I don’t get this. He made an error, that I’ve seen Van Dijk make and Varane make, guess they’re just decent too. It happens. Outside of that error, because of course people lack perspective, he was assured and commanding. 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2020 at 11:37 AM, Kip Smithers said:

I don’t get this. He made an error, that I’ve seen Van Dijk make and Varane make, guess they’re just decent too. It happens. Outside of that error, because of course people lack perspective, he was assured and commanding. 

I didn't notice this, and I thought the defence seemed disjointed - the third goal was a product of this, and I wouldn't expect cohesion straight away with a new player, who doesn't speak English. With some time they may become a tight backline, but....remains to be seen. T

They need to, because this is a defence that has conceded the most goals out of ALL PL teams, away from home dating back to the start of last season.

he VVD point, he made perhaps 1 or 2 mistakes all season - just the fact this was Silva's first game doesn't bode well. My point about him being decent wasn't based off an error anyway, it's based off a body of work for a couple years now.

Edited by Hunter2_1

7 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I didn't notice this, and I thought the defence seemed disjointed - the third goal was a product of this, and I wouldn't expect cohesion straight away with a new player, who doesn't speak English. With some time they may become a tight backline, but....remains to be seen. T

They need to, because this is a defence that has conceded the most goals out of ALL PL teams, away from home dating back to the start of last season.

he VVD point, he made perhaps 1 or 2 mistakes all season - just the fact this was Silva's first game doesn't bode well. My point about him being decent wasn't based off an error anyway, it's based off a body of work for a couple years now.

.Individual mistakes have cost us and it continues to add to the narrative. Alonso was responsible for two of the 3 goals vs West Brom. Not like they opened us up. 

VVD literally just made that exact same mistake vs Leeds a couple weeks ago. It happens. I wish people were objective and not just hop on to follow the narrative because say we keep a clean sheet on Saturday, nobody is gonna bring it up. BTW im not saying are defensive frailties and issues are non-existent and we haven’t needed work. I’m saying let’s just wait and see what develops over a representative sample. 

Edited by Kip Smithers

On 9/27/2020 at 12:54 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

One match, one mistake and you are taking premature victory laps, unreal! 

Did you watch his performance today? Snuffed out the handful of counterattacks Crystal Palace were able to muster,  very good on the ball. I think he has a lot left in the tank, he's still elite. Let's come back to this after a dozen matches 

On 9/30/2020 at 1:38 PM, Kip Smithers said:

.Individual mistakes have cost us and it continues to add to the narrative. Alonso was responsible for two of the 3 goals vs West Brom.

Alonso is goneeeeeee

how bout Chilly B! goal and assist, was such a danger down the left flank the entire match 

good dub for us, on a day when our attack wasn't quite sharp enough our backline was so solid and contributed with goals 

17 hours ago, persiandud said:

One match, one mistake and you are taking premature victory laps, unreal! 

Did you watch his performance today? Snuffed out the handful of counterattacks Crystal Palace were able to muster,  very good on the ball. I think he has a lot left in the tank, he's still elite. Let's come back to this after a dozen matches 

Alonso is goneeeeeee

how bout Chilly B! goal and assist, was such a danger down the left flank the entire match 

good dub for us, on a day when our attack wasn't quite sharp enough our backline was so solid and contributed with goals 

Much better. 

I wouldn't be getting too excited about a clean sheet over a Roy Hodgson managed team, but they all count, and this makes up for last week on the PD

20 hours ago, persiandud said:
On 9/30/2020 at 9:38 PM, Kip Smithers said:

Alonso is goneeeeeee

Chillwell played well today. Was impressed I’d admit, looks like he’s gonna be a huge upgrade on Alonso. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...