The Chelsea FC Thread

Imarobot

1 hour ago, teamorange said:

Drinkwater is a fine player. Probably not for 40M but he serves a need for Chelsea and he is a good player.

This. Drinkwater is exactly what we needed. He's absolutely amazing as a depth player and he's proven he can do the job in a 2 man midfield with Kante on a title winning team.

Zappacosta and Drinkwater is a pretty good transfer deadline day all things considered. Much better than getting Ox and Barkley IMO.

Edit: and if I hear anyone say we should have just kept Chalobah instead of bringing in Drinkwater I'll fight them. Chalobah isn't half the player Drinkwater is, especially right now.

Edited by Imarobot

6 hours ago, teamorange said:

Drinkwater is a fine player. Probably not for 40M but he serves a need for Chelsea and he is a good player.

He's a solid player but he is gonna be a rotational player at best. He's a back up. And 40 mil for a back up is darn right silly. We caved in because we so badly want to fill this homegrown quota 

right now Chalobah isn't as good as Drinkwater but would I rather keep Chalobah than pay 40 mil for Drinkwater, you're damn right I would.

Edited by Kip Smithers

3 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

right now Chalobah isn't as good as Drinkwater but would I rather keep Chalobah than pay 40 mil for Drinkwater, you're damn right I would.

I'm predicting a Michael Keane scenario with Chalobah. Once he gets a couple of good PL seasons under his belt top sides will come back calling. Chelsea should have included a buy back option. 

35 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

I'm predicting a Michael Keane scenario with Chalobah. Once he gets a couple of good PL seasons under his belt top sides will come back calling. Chelsea should have included a buy back option. 

I'm not that high on Chalobah. I don't see him being nothing more than solid, just like Drinkwater. Even though, we tend not to keep players against their will, Chalobah provides much better value. Given how long this Drinkwater deal took, we don't seem rate him all that highly.

Edited by Kip Smithers

15 hours ago, texans_uk said:

This is what I envision.

Also read somewhere that we did include either a buy-back option, sell-on option, or both for Chalobah, so we should profit off of him. 

Just some info for the Drinkwater haters on this forum

• Danny Drinkwater has recorded 6 Premier League assists from outside the final third since 2015/16; only Cesc Fabregas (7) has more.

• Since Aug 2015, only Cesc Fabregas (878) has made more passes into the final third of the pitch than Danny Drinkwater (842)

• Danny Drinkwater: Only N'Golo Kanté (339) has won possession in the midfield more times than Drinkwater (331) in the PL since August '15

• Since August 2015, Danny Drinkwater has made more tackles in the Premier League than any other English player.

• Danny Drinkwater has created 20 chances from his own half in the Premier League since 2015/16; only Cesc Fábregas has created more (21)

But yeah what a **** signing....

I don't think it's a bad signing, but a lot of those stats are cherry picked. The two stats about creating chances from his own half or outside the final third are more than likely hoofs upfield for Vardy. That's not how Chelsea play, so fairly irrelevant. The most tackles of any English player is also fairly irrelevant. The only valuable stat there is the winning possession one.

15 hours ago, kempus said:

I don't think it's a bad signing, but a lot of those stats are cherry picked. The two stats about creating chances from his own half or outside the final third are more than likely hoofs upfield for Vardy. That's not how Chelsea play, so fairly irrelevant. The most tackles of any English player is also fairly irrelevant. The only valuable stat there is the winning possession one.

Tell me about it. He's a solid player and was overpriced even in today's market. Think about this for a second, we paid more for Drinkwater than we did for Kante and that was only a year ago. The only reason why he is a Chelsea player because he's English and because of Kante.

20 hours ago, kempus said:

If anything I think what those stats tell is that Drinkwater can bring some of what Cesc brings to the team, while also bringing adequate defensive abilities. I could see Drinkwater playing the "Cesc role" when we play against teams that can harm us on the counter or can pin us back.

6 hours ago, Imarobot said:

Well I guess I'm convinced then. In terms of what  Drinkwater brings to an attack compared to Cesc, they're on a whole other level. So Iets not say he can bring what Cesc does going forward isn't saying a lot when he is nowhere as good. Those stats that the guy was referring to where he put Cesc and Drinkwater side by side were full of flaws as somebody pointed out in the comments. He's provides some good depth as opposed to somebody who can challenge the quality we already have and therefore we shouldn't be paying 35-40m for that.