Well.... what should they do?

animaltested

I need more time to think about this topic.  There are a decent amount of fans around the league that think the Seahawks should blow it up and start over.  I don't agree.  One off-season can change a lot of things for an NFL team.  Injuries were a big negative for the team this season, so if those guys can get healthy I think the team is in decent shape.  The team went 9-7 and competed for the NFC West all season until the final few weeks.

If the Seahawks can hit on the draft and injured players return healthy, I think they can make another run at a NFC West title.

9 hours ago, showtime said:

I need more time to think about this topic.  There are a decent amount of fans around the league that think the Seahawks should blow it up and start over.  I don't agree.  One off-season can change a lot of things for an NFL team.  Injuries were a big negative for the team this season, so if those guys can get healthy I think the team is in decent shape.  The team went 9-7 and competed for the NFC West all season until the final few weeks.

If the Seahawks can hit on the draft and injured players return healthy, I think they can make another run at a NFC West title.

Yeah me too. The Seahawks were a few made field goals away from 12-5. Now, they really only had 1 great game (Eagles) but I dont think that warrants a blow up. 

20 hours ago, showtime said:

I'm not advocating that the Seahawks should blow it up, but they're more than one offseason away from being a real contender.  The Seahawks drafted well at a ridiculous rate from 2010-2012, but their drafts since then have been rather unimpressive.  Really the only "building block" I feel like they've drafted is Frank Clark and Justin Britt.  I know Shaq Griffin looked pretty good as a rookie, so he's promising but overall the drafts have been rather lackluster in recent years.  The problem for me is the Seahawks really lack in draft capital as they traded their 2nd round pick to the Jets for Sheldon Richardson and a 3rd round pick this year to the Texans for Duane Brown.  They also owe their 2nd round pick in 2019 as part of the Duane Brown trade.  That pretty much forces them to trade down from their 1st round pick, and might be forced to take below-value in order to recoup a pick or two on Day 2.

And in terms of cap space, they're 27th in available cap space right now with Sheldon Richardson, Luke Joeckel, and Jimmy Graham as FAs.  I'm not going to pretend I'm keen to the Seahawks' financial situation, but they're tight up against the cap without much breathing room.  Richard Sherman either restructures or gets released as they're not paying a CB coming off a torn Achilles a $13M cap hit.  Avril and Chancellor retiring would free up some cap space as well.

38 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not advocating that the Seahawks should blow it up, but they're more than one offseason away from being a real contender.  The Seahawks drafted well at a ridiculous rate from 2010-2012, but their drafts since then have been rather unimpressive.  Really the only "building block" I feel like they've drafted is Frank Clark and Justin Britt.  I know Shaq Griffin looked pretty good as a rookie, so he's promising but overall the drafts have been rather lackluster in recent years.  The problem for me is the Seahawks really lack in draft capital as they traded their 2nd round pick to the Jets for Sheldon Richardson and a 3rd round pick this year to the Texans for Duane Brown.  They also owe their 2nd round pick in 2019 as part of the Duane Brown trade.  That pretty much forces them to trade down from their 1st round pick, and might be forced to take below-value in order to recoup a pick or two on Day 2.

And in terms of cap space, they're 27th in available cap space right now with Sheldon Richardson, Luke Joeckel, and Jimmy Graham as FAs.  I'm not going to pretend I'm keen to the Seahawks' financial situation, but they're tight up against the cap without much breathing room.  Richard Sherman either restructures or gets released as they're not paying a CB coming off a torn Achilles a $13M cap hit.  Avril and Chancellor retiring would free up some cap space as well.

I'm not sure about that.  Duane Brown was a good investment and George Fant is coming back from season ending injury.  Big "if", but if the Seahawks can hit on a decent interior offensive lineman that would help a lot.  Offensively, there are some missing pieces, so one off-season will not address all the concerns.  Defensively, a lot depends on Richard Sherman.  If he can come back and be his usual excellent self, that boost the secondary a lot.  As you mentioned, Shaq Griffin has been good and Justin Coleman would be a really good #3.  With Sherman back, the secondary would look really good.  Again, Sherman coming back and resuming his level of play is a pretty big "if".

I guess we'll see what happens in free agency.  As you mentioned, there are some key guys who will be exiting or maybe even released or traded.  The team was 9-7 with key injuries, bad offense and really poor special teams play.  If those things can improve, I think they can be an 11-5 or 12-4 team.  And in the NFC, if you can make it in the playoffs I think you're a Superbowl contender because there isn't a dominant team and we'll have to see if the Eagles can sustain their dominance once Carson Wentz returns.

On 04/01/2018 at 11:55 PM, CWood21 said:

but their drafts since then have been rather unimpressive.

Eh... missing big hits, but overall what a contending team needs to do. Find starters and depth. The issue has been investing money picks on offensive line (which have all flopped except Britt). 

Elite Players: None

ProBowler Caliber: Frank Clark (2nd)

Really Good: Justin Britt (2nd), Paul Richardson (2nd), Tyler Lockett (3rd)

Starter Quality : Jarren Reed (2nd), Naz Jones (3rd), Shaq Griffin (3rd), Luke Willson (5th), Alex Collins (5th), Spencer Ware (5th), Chris Carson (7th)

Depth : Quinton Jefferson (4th), Kevin Pierre Louis (4th), Nick Vannett (4th)

Intriguing Youngsters: Ethan Pocic (2nd), Delano Hill (3rd), Amara Darboh (3rd), David Moore (7th)

The issues are...

1) 2013 Draft was a horror show (Christine Michael, Jordan Hill, Chris Harper, Jesse Williams, Tharold Simon).

2) Bad OL investments (2015: Glowinski, Poole (4th), 2016: Ifedi (2nd), Odihambo (4th))

3) Injuries (CJ Prosise, Malik McDowel)

4) Seemingly 25% of the NFL is now Pete Disciples. 

Ultimately, the 2017 class really needs step it up if the train is going to keep chugging along. They drafted guys to replace FA or Older vets

Malik = > Bennett

Shaq => LOB CB2

Hill => Kam

Thompson => Earl

Naz => UT (Sheldon)

Darboh/ Moore => P-Rich

And Carson and Pocic need to lock down starting spots.

Archived