ProFootballFocus Top 5/Bottom 5 at every position for 2017

TheKillerNacho

15 hours ago, frenchie said:

Generally speaking, the grading looks about right, except for a few head scratchers, for instance:

Dee Ford, Connor Barwin, and Charles Johnson are not bad players, but according to PFF they were among the worst DEs...

Deron Lee, Jamie Collins and Nick Vigil are not bad players.  In fact, I'm pretty sure Vigil and Collins were injured most of the year.

Then we have Adrian Amos grading out as one of the best safeties in the league...  riiiiight.

I'd like to know the criteria that is factored into the grade.  I don't know a ton about PFF, other than it has suddenly become unquestioned law on these message boards, and even on the game broadcast, but no one really goes into the formula/criteria in which the grades are based.  Is it like ESPN's Next Gen stats (things that don't matter)?  Who does the grading? is this person qualified and unbiased, or is this some chump beat writer who plays favorites or has an axe to grind?  Does this person know the ins and outs of the position they are grading?  Are they taking into account the surrounding players' actions and how they may affect the player they are grading?  Do they know the plays, and the responsibility each player on each play?  I doubt it... I'll always take these 'player grades' with a grain of salt. 

I think you will find that here, the opinion of PFF is actually quite low. the OP does have a disclaimer for that very reason.

15 hours ago, Marc MacGyver said:

Is the full CB list floating around somewhere on the interwebz? 

Their website, but it requires you to pay them monies. As I said in the OP, my friend is subscribed so he lets me see the list. I don't want to post more of it than I have, to avoid him or this site from getting in trouble for posting "premium" content.

3 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Their website, but it requires you to pay them monies. As I said in the OP, my friend is subscribed so he lets me see the list. I don't want to post more of it than I have, to avoid him or this site from getting in trouble for posting "premium" content.

Actually if you're willing to put in the work anyone can get the complete list. If you go to the rosters of the individual teams you can click on the names of the players and see their ratings. 

Creating a complete list of one position is going to be quite the amount of work though. 

On 1/3/2018 at 8:35 AM, TheKillerNacho said:

Tight End

Top 5:
1. Rob Gronkowski 92.7
2. Hunter Henry 88.0
3. Travis Kelce 87.6
4. Delanie Walker 84.1
5. Zach Ertz 80.9

Games Receiving Rushing        
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G Ctch% Rush Yds TD Lng Y/A Y/G A/G YScm RRTD Fmb AV
Career       29 23 115 81 1057 13.0 12 59 2.8 36.4                 1057 12 1 4
2016 22 SDG TE 86 15 10 53 36 478 13.3 8 59 2.4 31.9 67.9%               478 8 1 4
2017 23 LAC fb/tb/TE 86 14 13 62 45 579 12.9 4 34 3.2 41.4 72.6%               579 4 0  

???

Chargers fans, explain this.

16 hours ago, BlaqOptic said:

Artie Burns ranked higher than Joe Haden? Mike Mitchell was an average S while Sean Davis was Bottom 5? Those latter two are definitely swapped. Did they even watch the Steelers secondary?

is this list available to non subscribers?

Where did the following place:

dupree

pouncey

JuJu

Boz

VW

Gilbert

6 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

Bottom five TE though.

according to that link, I wasn't far off considering this rookie to be possibly elite already which is something I never thought I would say about a rookie

Pittsburgh Steelers: Through 17 weeks, rookie wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster has caught 58-of-77 targets for 917 yards and seven touchdowns, all good for a passer rating when targeted of 134.0. This is the best mark among all wide receivers this year and the best mark ever recorded by a rookie.

They list 9 categories for QBs and list where each QB ranks after W16.

Ryan ranks 13th or worse in 6 of those 9 categories, 20th or worse in one category; PFF rank 3rd overall.

Mariota ranks 15th or worse in 7 of those 9 categories, 25th or worse in 4 categories; PFF rank 9th overall.

Stafford ranks 15th or better in all 9 categories; PFF rank 13th overall.

Goff ranks 12th or better in 7 of those 9 categories, 20th or worse in 2 categories; PFF rank 17th.

Is there some special decoder ring?

Archived