National Championship Game | #4 Alabama vs #3 Georgia

WeaponX

Who wins?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• #3 Georgia
    • #4 Alabama

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/09/2018 at 01:30 AM

Strange to me how many people don't care about, what should be a solid matchup. Maybe I'm just a fan of football. OU was my most hated team this year and they could be playing Michigan and I'd still be excited to watch it. 

That said, I've been riding the Georgia train all year and I honestly think they're a better all around team. Saban will be the tough part to get around for them though. Hope UGA wins. 

21 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

Strange to me how many people don't care about, what should be a solid matchup. Maybe I'm just a fan of football. OU was my most hated team this year and they could be playing Michigan and I'd still be excited to watch it.

If this were two teams from some other conference, everyone would be excited for it. And like the past few years since the addition of the Playoffs, they would be talking about how great it is to finally have a system that works and now we can finally see the two best teams play for a championship. But because they're both from the SEC, and one of them is the same team coached by Nick Satan that we keep seeing nearly every year, it's gonna be a boring matchup that no one wants to see and UCF is the real national champion? The 3rd and 4th seed are playing for the championship, and they've both proven they deserve a shot at it, and yet people are still gonna act like the system failed because it's two SEC teams. I don't want either of these teams to win but they both deserve a shot at the championship.

18 minutes ago, NS922 said:

If this were two teams from some other conference, everyone would be excited for it. And like the past few years since the addition of the Playoffs, they would be talking about how great it is to finally have a system that works and now we can finally see the two best teams play for a championship. But because they're both from the SEC, and one of them is the same team coached by Nick Satan that we keep seeing nearly every year, it's gonna be a boring matchup that no one wants to see and UCF is the real national champion? The 3rd and 4th seed are playing for the championship, and they've both proven they deserve a shot at it, and yet people are still gonna act like the system failed because it's two SEC teams. I don't want either of these teams to win but they both deserve a shot at the championship.

What did Alabama do to deserve it, other than not win their own division, let alone conference?

1 minute ago, fretgod99 said:

What did Alabama do to deserve it, other than not win their own division, let alone conference?

They lost 1 game all year.....If they beat Georgia, are you really going to question whether or not the most dominant program of recent times deserves to be the national champion (yet again)? As of right now, you could argue maybe 2 other teams over them, but if they beat Georgia then shouldn't that mean the system did its job in at least letting them in at #4? Or are you saying the regular season and the conference championships are more important than beating two top 3 teams in the Playoffs?

3 minutes ago, NS922 said:

They lost 1 game all year.....If they beat Georgia, are you really going to question whether or not the most dominant program of recent times deserves to be the national champion (yet again)? As of right now, you could argue maybe 2 other teams over them, but if they beat Georgia then shouldn't that mean the system did its job in at least letting them in at #4? Or are you saying the regular season and the conference championships are more important than beating two top 3 teams in the Playoffs?

Wisconsin only lost one game all year. UCF didn't lose any. *shrug*

Just now, fretgod99 said:

Wisconsin only lost one game all year. UCF didn't lose any. *shrug*

If they beat Georgia the conversation shouldn't be about whether or not they deserve it, it should be "Should we have more teams in the playoffs?"

48 minutes ago, NS922 said:

This. Couldn't agree more.

10 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I'll go against Saban here. Think Smith can make a huge difference for the UGA defense by spying on Hurts. If Hurts can't consistently run for 1st downs when plays break down, the Bama offense won't function.

I agree that Smith is going to be a huge difference for Georgia.

Feels like this is going to be a great game. Not sure how it turns out at all.

I'm expecting a really close and low scoring game. Might not be a game for people who aren't real football fans. Or people who only like their football to be passing and high scoring. I think this matchup is going to be very line of scrimmage centric. Running, defense, and ball control.

It’s not really that it’s the SEC to me. In fact, I don’t think that’s the krux of the angst. I think that outside the Big Ten, if you had OSU-PSU in a title, most fanbases would be annoyed. If you had FSU/Miami or OU/Texas, same thing. Outside of the individual fanbases or conference loyalists, it’s a turnoff for everyone else. It’s like, for some, if you are watching two teams from the same division playing in the Super Bowl. Ex: Bears playing the Packers for a championship. 

In my opinion, you can have the two best teams play each other and have it decided who is better without that having to be in the championship. Like when the Steelers play NE in a couple weeks. They could be the two best teams, but they aren’t supposed to play in the Super Bowl. Or, a stronger point as it is within the division, Saints vs Panthers or Falcons.

All the while, you leave out two P5 conference champs, an undefeated in UCF, etc. Because of the “eye test” and the opinions of 13 people concerning who the 4 teams should be and even who the matchups can be. It’s not an objective system. It’s a severely flawed system, even when the committee makes what the country deems to be appropriate picks. The low ratings that are ahead and blowback will likely prompt some serious evaluating of the system, so this could all be for the best.

6 hours ago, Counselor said:

All the posters who are fans of teams that couldn't hang or bang their way to this game want to discredit the teams in it and give them an asterisk. Go home you sore losers.

There is so much of this happening in this thread.

It’s actually really funny. 

I guess we should ignore the fact that both teams in the championship just beat 2 other teams that everyone else was certain belonged in the playoff.

”The BCS sucks because they ended up having Alabama and LSU as a rematch even though they were clearly the 2 best teams.”

”The playoff sucks because 2 SEC teams made it even though they had to play through a round of playoff games against other conferences.”

Sucks for you if you’re one of these people complaining about the game and saying you won’t watch. 1) It’s a college football national championship game. 2) There’s a ridiculous amount of NFL talent on the field. 3) This Georgia team might be in the best position to stop Alabama’s run in the SEC going forward.

I also don’t buy the Steelers - Patriots analogy or any NFL comparison.

And the claim that a Steelers - Patriots Super Bowl would be annoying is correct. But it’s correct because the comparison doesn’t work. The rules don’t exist such that it can happen that way. The rules do exist within College Football that allow that to happen.

On top of that, the argument is similar to saying that since the Steelers and Patriots played in the regular season and the Patriots won that game, people shouldn’t be excited to watch a potential rematch in the playoffs. (But again, this comparison breaks down at so many levels)

People are discrediting this game and pulling excuses out of everywhere because it's the SEC. If this was tOSU vs PSU, TCU vs OU, Miami vs Clemson or USC vs UW the argument would be completely different. 

It's a good match-up with two very good programs, a lot of good players on the field and what should be a good coaching match-up. I'm interested to see Smart and UGA come out of the gates against a team that's super hungry because people are still debating whether they should've made the playoff or not.

11 hours ago, NS922 said:

I mean, those other teams had a shot to beat these teams and they didn't. I get people are tired of hearing about the big ol SEC but it's not like they're not a legit conference who doesn't deserve this. I don't see how we can fault a conference for putting out the best teams year in and year out. Were they the best conference this year? No, but they sure are top-heavy. I get the gripe but unfortunately I cannot agree w/ it. I just like good football, I don't care who the teams are. If NE is playing in the SB again, so be it. Don't want them to? Beat them.

Archived