National Championship Game | #4 Alabama vs #3 Georgia

WeaponX

Who wins?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• #3 Georgia
    • #4 Alabama

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/09/2018 at 01:30 AM

Just now, Iamcanadian said:

Like I said, have you ever played football??? Take Georgia for instance, after playing Auburn, you can bet they were far more banged up than before the game and likely required a week or even 2 to get back to their pre Auburn game form, so that adds up to a possible 3 week gap between them and Alabama, before Georgia could return to their normal practice situation!!!

Zero effect my foot, it was a huge advantage, even if you do not want to admit it???

That isn't how healing works. There is no way after a month off they are still suffering from general aches and pains. Unless there was an actual injury it doesn't effect anything.

And is the last sentence a question? The words are a statement but three question marks indicates you are very emphatically asking a question.

1 hour ago, Iamcanadian said:

Good try, except, you left out Nov. 25 Georgia vs Georgia Tech and tell me again which team got beat up more with far  less recovery time. The Conference Championship game just got Georgia beat up a whole lot more while Alabama got to rest from the Nov. 25th till Jan. 8th, that's over a month and allowed them enough time to prepare their freshman QB to be used as a secret weapon in the game. It was likely in Saban's mind to prepare the kid for a month if Hurst struggled and he had way over a month to accomplish it, while Georgia got beat up in their conference championship game.???

The playing field was clearly uneven and Alabama was given a huge edge and it paid off in the NC game. Alabama fans can celebrate all they want, but the rest of the country will never recognize that they are national champions!!!

Look, I have a lot of respect for Lou Saban and what he has done at Alabama, but nobody should get a shot ahead of conference champions based on a vote and then get over a month off to prepare his team while the other 3 contenders get beat up in a conference championship game against a very tough opponent. I do not care if it would be Ohio St. or USC, I'm a Michigan/Michigan St. fan living close to Detroit, they were both conference champions and one of them should have been there not Alabama!!!

If we move to an 8 team playoff, then by all means, Alabama should get in, but not with this current setup and the conference champions should get a bye to even the playing field, since they still will have to play an extra game while the 4 new teams will get over a month off!!!

So many things wrong in this post so I just bolded them for you. Don't respond to this post unless you address everything that I have here. I'm done with this utter tomfoolery otherwise. 

1) As other posters have stated and as I have stated over and over, Georgia had 4 weeks to rest. Alabama had 5 weeks to rest. Wow. What an advantage for Alabama. In reality, Georgia was the much healthier team going into the championship game and Alabama was missing numerous starters and key contributors due to injury. Bad luck was the factor but 4 weeks vs. 5 weeks of recovery is entirely insignificant. 

2) Tua was a secret weapon? Kirby Smart said after the game that Georgia expected Tua to get action if Hurts didn't play well and that they knew coming out of the half that they would likely see a QB change. Maybe the majority of college football fans didn't know about Tua. But numerous analysts and commentators knew Tua getting time was a real possibility. Also, did that one week extra really make such a difference in Tua's development? Earlier, you asked another poster if they've ever played football and if they know how much of a difference an extra week can make. Well, do you know football well enough to recognize that one week of extra time with a freshman QB isn't going to give you an edge in terms of development? That's your Tua was a secret weapon theory being thrown in the trash. 

3) "Playing field was uneven." Really? I'm not sure if you watched the game or not but if you want to talk about an edge for any particular team, I haven't at all seen any post from you acknowledging that the crowd at the game was significantly a Georgia crowd. That was in essence a home game for Georgia. 

4) "But the rest of the country will never recognize that they are national champions!!!" Just so you know, Alabama was awarded the CFP National Championship Trophy, was voted #1 by the AP and #1 in the Coaches Poll. That is literally the rest of the country recognizing them as national champions. You are actually the only person I've seen argue that Alabama shouldn't be national champions because of one extra week of prep. So if you are the rest of the country, then I guess you are right?

5) "Nobody should get a shot ahead of conference champions based on a vote." (Already addressed your over a month thing. Just to reiterate, Alabama had 5 weeks, Georgia had 4 weeks). Alabama just took this "only conference champions" narrative and threw it in the trash. They beat two conference champions who everyone believed to be clearly amongst the two best teams in the country. They are without a doubt, the best college football team in America. They proved that. Putting a team like USC or Ohio State in the playoff this year would have yielded a National Champion that was not the best team in college football. And Alabama proved that. 

6) Hypothetical situation: Alabama plays Louisville to open the season next year. In the 2017 season, Alabama played 14 games. Louisville played 13 games. Alabama's last game was January 8, 2018 and Louisville's last game was December 30, 2017. So can I count on you to scream that Louisville clearly had an advantage because, well, they played one less game and because their returning players had one week extra week to rest? Where do you draw your cutoff for recovery on your recovery outrage meter?

Also, for those of you insisting ratings for this game would be down and that no one would watch an all SEC championship game:

ESPN says the College Football Playoff National Championship between Alabama and Georgia drew a 16.7 overnight rating. That’s a 9-percent jump from last year’s title game between Alabama and Clemson, which posted a 16.0.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/1/9/16869172/playoff-tv-ratings-alabama-georgia-national-championship

9 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

The Conference Championship game just got Georgia beat up a whole lot more while Alabama got to rest from the Nov. 25th till Jan. 8th, that's over a month and allowed them enough time to prepare their freshman QB to be used as a secret weapon in the game.

How to Nick Saban:

1. Don't play your best QB for 95% of the season
2. Also don't play your best QB for the first 75% of the CFB playoff after your extended break to train #SECRETWEAPON
3. Go down by 2 scores at half time against a really good defense
4. #SECRETWEAPON

That's why he's the GOAT tbh. Who else would think of sabotaging the overwhelming majority of their season for no reason just to be able to have a sports movie cliche type moment?

Just now, MookieMonster said:

I do love how @Iamcanadian is pounding the table about an extra week of rest that Bama had, but failed to mention that the crowd for the National Championship was probably 70% Georgia since the site of the Natty WAS IN GEORGIA.Talk about an uneven playing field, I mean Bama should get 2 trophies for overcoming so much!

You forgot 2 more exclamation points... 

So I award you zero points.

9 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Like I said, have you ever played football??? Take Georgia for instance, after playing Auburn, you can bet they were far more banged up than before the game and likely required a week or even 2 to get back to their pre Auburn game form, so that adds up to a possible 3 week gap between them and Alabama, before Georgia could return to their normal practice situation!!!

Zero effect my foot, it was a huge advantage, even if you do not want to admit it???

Alabama played auburn the week before the SECCG, so if it take 2 weeks to heal from auburn, Alabama was healing for only a week longer still. Additionally how did all that extra time off that created this blatantly unfair playing field help ohio state versus Clemson last year? Oh yeah it didn't, they got blown up 31-0  

As for the all the time off let them prepare their secret weapon claim, it was exactly a secret.

Tua was expected to play against Clemson http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2018/01/tua_tagovailoa_expected_to_pla.html

Kirby Smart (Georgia coach) told his team at halftime that they were going to go to him, he said after the game they had watched his film.

“We told everybody at halftime there was no question they were going to him because they were struggling and they needed some momentum,” Smart said.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/college/what-georgia-kirby-smart-said-after-championship-loss/nCLG8Ke27sSwTxwNaw7gYJ/

So they knew it was a possibility, there were reports that he was going to play against Clemson, and they even watched the film on him.

Now please come up with some other excuse, cause these are tired and lazy.

10 hours ago, RollEagles said:

Also, for those of you insisting ratings for this game would be down and that no one would watch an all SEC championship game:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/1/9/16869172/playoff-tv-ratings-alabama-georgia-national-championship

but, but NOBODY WANTS TO WATCH THE SEC!! UCF IS MY CHAMPION!! PUT THEM IN THE TITLE GAME!! RATINGS WILL BE DOWN AND I WILL NOT BE WATCHING!! SEC BIAS AT ITS FINEST BOYS!!

FOH - like I said when the game ended if you were stupid enough to skip this game because it was an all SEC game you missed one of the best games of the year. 

The funny thing is for all the Alabama-Ohio State discussion, Ohio State in a way actually ended up helping out Alabama truly not with the Iowa loss, but a game they won.

Ohio State's comeback win over Penn State in late October basically ended up playing out to be a huge butterfly effect.

Even if Penn State loses to Michigan State and everything else in the B1G plays out the same, I doubt the committee would have held that 3 point loss at East Lansing against them so heavily.

AND it would have probably truly made the B1G title game a playoff play-in between Penn State and Wisconsin ala Sparty/Iowa.

And Penn State had a better resume than Bama anyway, so......

Bama fans should thank Ohio State twice- losing badly to Iowa AND ultimately thwarting a team that would have had a case over Bama.

Archived