Help breaking down CB Prospects by coverage type

Sepanak

I would like to get a better breakdown of Cornerback prospects by the coverages they excel at and therefore determine which NFL Teams' schemes they would fit best in (i.e. a zone CB to BUF, a press CB to SEA, or a Man CB to KC). I cannot seem to find very much information online about this so I figured perhaps you guys can help.

Ideally, I would like to get at least a top 5 ranking for Zone and Man-to-Man, but if you guys can help more, I would like to break Man-to-Man even more into Press-Man and Off-Man coverage. 

To start, it would be easiest to just get a list of who you guys think belongs in the conversation of top 5 in that category (some may be considered top 5 in more than one). I do not necessarily need 5 from any single person, but just anyone you think could belong in a top 5 conversation.

Zone:

Man:

Press:

Off-Man:

To me almost all corners have to be able to play both press man cover and zone coverage as well.  Almost every NFL defense switches coverage to change it up.  I think NFL teams look for physical body types that fit there system at corner more than coverage skills specifically.  Some teams like big tall corners with long wingspans.  Others like small quick corners who can play the slot and outside.  Others have specific roles to the boundary corner type player and the field corner, then some teams have specific L and R corner regardless.  

To divide them by zone and man corners is not really that reasonable.  It is more like here are the group of long corners, here is the group of small fast cover men.  Here is the group of good tackling corners and here is the group of good coverage corners, and here is a group of ball hawk corners who can anticipate and get their hands on passes.  Or here are the group of corners who could switch to safety or play either one.

all zone coverge turns into man coverage after about 5-10 yards. I would go around this as can they jam recievers, and out physical them to throw off the timing, or can they read how recievers break off certain routes and time how they open there hips in the open field. Those are your two types of corners. Most play man and off press. The difference is some have a great 2 step punch and some just run the route tree and outleverage for the ball better.

13 hours ago, Ozzy said:

To me almost all corners have to be able to play both press man cover and zone coverage as well.  Almost every NFL defense switches coverage to change it up.  I think NFL teams look for physical body types that fit there system at corner more than coverage skills specifically.  Some teams like big tall corners with long wingspans.  Others like small quick corners who can play the slot and outside.  Others have specific roles to the boundary corner type player and the field corner, then some teams have specific L and R corner regardless.  

To divide them by zone and man corners is not really that reasonable.  It is more like here are the group of long corners, here is the group of small fast cover men.  Here is the group of good tackling corners and here is the group of good coverage corners, and here is a group of ball hawk corners who can anticipate and get their hands on passes.  Or here are the group of corners who could switch to safety or play either one.

You are probably correct. I have thought about it more the past couple of days and if anyone was going to have a breakdown it would be more like #1 corner, nickel corner, or maybe press corner. But unless it's someones job to research this stuff, I doubt many people could give a good breakdown, especially this far away from the draft.

4 hours ago, hoekd0250 said:

all zone coverge turns into man coverage after about 5-10 yards. I would go around this as can they jam recievers, and out physical them to throw off the timing, or can they read how recievers break off certain routes and time how they open there hips in the open field. Those are your two types of corners. Most play man and off press. The difference is some have a great 2 step punch and some just run the route tree and outleverage for the ball better.

Yeah I agree, the more likely breakdown (as you were alluding too) are #1 corners, nickel corner, and maybe press corner or run support. Although, this far from the draft, I doubt many or any people have that in-depth of an analysis yet, except for the people whose job it is to know.

On 1/5/2018 at 7:47 AM, Sepanak said:

Yeah I agree, the more likely breakdown (as you were alluding too) are #1 corners, nickel corner, and maybe press corner or run support. Although, this far from the draft, I doubt many or any people have that in-depth of an analysis yet, except for the people whose job it is to know.

Here is how I would categorize the corners at the moment, I know not all of them have declared but it is how I see it after the season.  Yes Fitzpatrick is most likely going to be a safety in the NFL but as a talent is just as good as any and probably will be the first of this group picked in the draft.

Best Corners Overall:

Minkah Fitzpatrick Alabama JR

Carlton Davis Auburn JR

Tarvarus McFadden Florida State JR

Joshua Jackson Iowa JR

Denzel Ward Ohio State JR

Mike Hughes UCF JR

Jaire Alexander Louisville JR

Holton Hill Texas JR

Quenton Meeks Stanford JR

Isaiah Oliver Colorado JR

Jamarcus King South Carolina

Best tackling corners/ hitters:

Carlton Davis Auburn JR

Jamarcus King South Carolina

Duke Dawson Florida

Quenton Meeks Stanford JR

Deatrick Nichols USF

Sean Chandler Temple

MJ Stewart UNC

Joshua Kalu Nebraska

Jaylen Dunlap Illinois RS

Josh Cox Central Michigan

Best pure cover corners/Ball Skills:

Joshua Jackson Iowa JR

Jaire Alexander Louisville JR

Mike Hughes UCF JR

Jalen Davis Utah State

Holton Hill Texas JR

Isaiah Oliver Colorado JR

Demetrius Monday Kent State

Donte Jackson LSU JR

DJ Reed Kansas State JR

Rashard Fant Indiana

Anthony Averett Alabama RS

Bryon Fields Duke

Jordan Thomas Oklahoma

Levi Wallace Alabama

Possible position change to safety/Versatile:

Duke Dawson Florida

MJ Stewart UNC

Sean Chandler Temple

Brandon Facyson Virginia Tech RS

Josh Cox Central Michigan

Best slot corners:

Jalen Davis Utah State

Donte Jackson LSU JR

Avonte Maddox Pitt

Tony Brown Alabama

Rashard Fant Indiana

Shawun Lurry Northern Illinois

Shaq Wiggins Tennessee

Best length corners with size:

Holton Hill Texas JR

Adonis Alexander Virginia Tech JR

Kevin Toliver II LSU JR

Chris Westry Kentucky JR

Brandon Facyson Virginia Tech RS

Reggie Hall Jacksonville St

Siran Neal Jacksonville St

Christian Campbell Penn State

Chris Seisay Portland St.

Corners with return potential:

Mike Hughes UCF JR

DJ Reed Kansas State JR

Darius Phillips Western Michigan

Greg Stroman Virginia Tech

Charles Nelson Oregon

I've been looking at CB specifically for KC. Right now my top guys are (in no order):

Carlton Davis, Auburn

Joshua Jackson, Iowa

Duke Dawson Jr, Florida

Denzel Ward, Ohio St

Sam Beal, Western Michigan *I just checked for some film on him (good luck). Not sure why I have him on my list. But I put him on it for some reason I'm sure.

8 hours ago, Counselor said:

Jackson and Hill don't qualify as length corners with size to you because of weight? Just wondering.

My bad I forget him, yes Hill would be a corner with some fine length as well.

On 1/5/2018 at 7:34 PM, Ozzy said:

Here is how I would categorize the corners at the moment, I know not all of them have declared but it is how I see it after the season.  Yes Fitzpatrick is most likely going to be a safety in the NFL but as a talent is just as good as any and probably will be the first of this group picked in the draft.

Wow, this is much more than I anticipated, thanks. Are these listed in order? And if so, assuming this order is based on your opinion, is it based more on stats or watching actual gameplay?

On 1/5/2018 at 9:43 PM, kingseanjohn said:

Sam Beal, Western Michigan *I just checked for some film on him (good luck). Not sure why I have him on my list. But I put him on it for some reason I'm sure.

That's because he's a junior who isn't likely to declare. He is a quality player but had some injuries this year.

There isn't a Jalen Ramsey in this draft, but there is a lot of quality corners. Tarvarus McFadden is down for most people but I think having to sit out all spring due to injury was tougher to overcome than most believe. His head coach in high school was former 1st rounder Mike Rumph and his position coach in high school was former All-Pro Patrick Surtain. Testing will be important but the kid has had great coaching and knows the position well. Mike Hughes of UCF doesn't get enough love and Holton Hill of Texas was playing superb before he was suspended for the rest of the year. Hill was allowed to stay on the sidelines for UT though which shows the coaching staff still likes the kid at least a decent amount.

8 hours ago, Sepanak said:

Wow, this is much more than I anticipated, thanks. Are these listed in order? And if so, assuming this order is based on your opinion, is it based more on stats or watching actual gameplay?

It is listed in order, top to bottom.  It is of course based on my opinion, and it is based on watching them all play throughout the year this season and for a few seasons before this one. A few guys like Jackson and Hill did not really do much this year and have come on the scene this year especially Jackson.  Not sure there is one super elite corner but more than a few solid guys available.  

8 hours ago, Da_Ducktator said:

That's because he's a junior who isn't likely to declare. He is a quality player but had some injuries this year.

There isn't a Jalen Ramsey in this draft, but there is a lot of quality corners. Tarvarus McFadden is down for most people but I think having to sit out all spring due to injury was tougher to overcome than most believe. His head coach in high school was former 1st rounder Mike Rumph and his position coach in high school was former All-Pro Patrick Surtain. Testing will be important but the kid has had great coaching and knows the position well. Mike Hughes of UCF doesn't get enough love and Holton Hill of Texas was playing superb before he was suspended for the rest of the year. Hill was allowed to stay on the sidelines for UT though which shows the coaching staff still likes the kid at least a decent amount.

Mike Hughes is a very interesting corner but he has not declared correct, I would be surprised if he came out early.  Would have liked to see Hill come back for another year, then he would have been a 1st round pick.  Right now I would be surprised to see Hill get picked in the 1st round, did have a great year when he was out there though.  And I agree no Jalen Ramsey types in this draft, he was a rare talent being a former safety then moved to corner and was an outstanding physical tackler and has carried that into the NFL.  

McFadden I had ranked #1 to start the year but yes people are down on him because he did not play all that well this year and got beat more than he should have.  Tons of talent though and impressive ball skills but was not as effective this year with more expectations on him.

Ward plays/played almost exclusively press man, man, and quarters. That's basically all that OSU runs in their secondary. Sometimes they can get REALLY CRAZY and run a robber with their FS...like the pick 6 against Darnold or almost all of Hooker's INTs last year.

Archived