Bring Back Hitchens?

the lone star

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/anthony-hitchens-14530/market-value/
https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/anthony-hitchens/8754

I like how he has developed as a Cowboy, and that's something you have to be wary of when you draft a LB, if they will be able to contribute right away or not. Jaylon obviously wasn't due to his injury and even this year he wasn't that good. Lee is injury prone, Durant is old, Wilber is a backup, so again, I'd like to keep Hitchens.

17 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

All depends on how much he wants. I think he had a solid year but I believe they want to give Jaylon more work.

Yeah, 10 stuffs in 12 games is pretty good. 

If you were Jerry Jones, would you pay him $5.1 million per year for 4 years?

I think $5 million annually is on the low end.

AJ Klein and Lawrence Timmons each got $6 million annually last offseason. Danny Trevathan and Derrick Johnson got $7 million annually the year before that. Hitchens' production this season is better than any of those four in the final year of their deals, and he'll only be 26 at the beginning of next season. I think he's looking at a four-year deal in the range of $24-$28 million, with $12-$15m in guarantees. I just don't see Dallas paying that with Lawrence and Martin due paydays.

Signing Hitchens may be a bigger priority than we think.  He is productive.  We know Lee will not play a full season given his history.  I don't like a LB crew that could conceivably be missing Hitchens and, and for some games,  Lee.

Agree with North here. Hitch is solid, versatile and probably a bigger priority than being given credit for. Losing him would hurt. For a team with depth issues, he really needs to stick. Also consider Lee will be 32 come next season and can be penciled in for 2-4 game on sideline injured. tbh, Hitch probably has more value to team than Lee, even though Lee is better. Good chance Lee isn't even playing by the time Hitch's soon to be contract expires. 

But as BB pointed out the price tag is going to be a hangup. I can see some other team giving him $6-7m/yr. That's going to be tough for Dallas to swing.

We could swing it if they restructured a couple contracts, but apparently only Frederick's is likely to be done. 

So, it's likely with Martin and Lawrence needing contracts, Hitch is the odd man out.

I'm pretty sure that Hitchen's manager knows what the Cowboy's debacle @ the linebacker position is and is probably going to ask for a high # of dollars to sign him. With all the compensatory picks this year for me I think the Cowboy's could walk away with 2 quality linebackers this year with all the depth @ that position in the draft. Early rounds they could target Roquon Smith, Tre Edmunds and Rashaan Evans and in the mid rounds they could target Cameron Smith, Leighton Vander Esch, Darius Leonard, Josey Jewell, Mike McCray and Sione Teuhema. Don't get me wrong it would be nice to have Hitchens back on this roster with the contribution he gave with Lee out of the line up but the Cowboy's have to start being wise on what position and the caliber of performance when you might be able to get one in the draft and possibly another comp. pick next year for Hitchens. The Jone's need to get this Salary Cap under control @ some point while stop creating dead cap on players who aren't performing up to standards anymore, I know that this isn't Hitchens creating the problem but some times you can't have things go your way when the mess has been created from years past. 

Hitchens would be awesome coming back as it would allow some stability in the D going forward.   But I don’t see them spending more then 6 at the high end for him and probably only 5,5.    I think the staff was encouraged by Jaylons last few games and he will have a full preseason to be on field with Lee to help transition but we  need Lee’s replacement on next years draft I think and x2 if we don’t resign Hitch

It'd be nice to have him back but there will be teams that will offer him more money than we will.  He's been very versatile/dependable for us since his rookie year, so he's going to be missed.  I can't believe the value we got out of him for a 4th rd. pick. 

On 1/3/2018 at 10:35 AM, BobbyBelt said:

I think $5 million annually is on the low end.

AJ Klein and Lawrence Timmons each got $6 million annually last offseason. Danny Trevathan and Derrick Johnson got $7 million annually the year before that. Hitchens' production this season is better than any of those four in the final year of their deals, and he'll only be 26 at the beginning of next season. I think he's looking at a four-year deal in the range of $24-$28 million, with $12-$15m in guarantees. I just don't see Dallas paying that with Lawrence and Martin due paydays.

That's true. Hopefully the team can make some smart signings in the offseason. I like Stupar on the Saints.

On 1/4/2018 at 2:29 PM, ///mcompact said:

It'd be nice to have him back but there will be teams that will offer him more money than we will.  He's been very versatile/dependable for us since his rookie year, so he's going to be missed.  I can't believe the value we got out of him for a 4th rd. pick. 

Man, Holloman could have been another productive Day 3 LB for us as well.

On 1/4/2018 at 12:16 AM, quiller said:

Hitchens would be awesome coming back as it would allow some stability in the D going forward.   But I don’t see them spending more then 6 at the high end for him and probably only 5,5.    I think the staff was encouraged by Jaylons last few games and he will have a full preseason to be on field with Lee to help transition but we  need Lee’s replacement on next years draft I think and x2 if we don’t resign Hitch

Yeah, gotta draft LB this year. Ideally in Round 1 or 2.

Archived