Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

Let's do this!

Shoulder is better so I finally got off my lazy butt again. Started with pause squats at 225. Went better than expected after a ~year break.

Got back on my diet and rolling BJJ more frequently, so hopefully the weight comes down soon. Trying to hit 190 then reassess. Was at 201 this morning.

1 hour ago, fretgod99 said:

Trying to hit 190 then reassess.

Same, honestly. Think I need to get down to 170 though. The move to Chicago did me no favors, and I still haven't gotten myself on the right track.

4 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Same, honestly. Think I need to get down to 170 though. The move to Chicago did me no favors, and I still haven't gotten myself on the right track.

You stopped on MyFitnessPal? First goal is <200 consistently (so like 2 weeks+). It's always about this time that I get reinvested in lifting though and then I want to go all heavy again with the weights. Need to avoid that temptation this time around. 190 is a good target weight for me. Should probably be somewhere closer to 180 body comp wise if I ever wanted to see any kind of definition but I'm not dedicated enough to actually do that. 190 should be pretty sustainable, I think.

30 minutes ago, fretgod99 said:

You stopped on MyFitnessPal?

Yeah, for a long time I was just logging in to maintain the streak in hopes that I would start consistently logging the food again. And it just hasn't come.

1 minute ago, iPwn said:

Yeah, for a long time I was just logging in to maintain the streak in hopes that I would start consistently logging the food again. And it just hasn't come.

I got back into in September-ish of last year. Was good for a couple months then basically was doing the streak thing for like 6 months. Been relatively consistent since then, though. I know it ain't for everybody, but it legitimately helps me stay cognizant of food intake so I will sometimes reconsider. Helps me keep myself in check.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone's weight fluctuate with the weather?  I mean, this winter I was pushing 200 but now I'm closer to 170.  I don't feel like I've changed any of my habits, might eat less during the summer but not enough to drop me 20+ pounds over the course of a couple of months.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Just out of curiosity, does anyone's weight fluctuate with the weather?  I mean, this winter I was pushing 200 but now I'm closer to 170.  I don't feel like I've changed any of my habits, might eat less during the summer but not enough to drop me 20+ pounds over the course of a couple of months.

Mine does, but when I actually sat down and thought about it, I realized that for me it really was about eating habits. Fewer fresh vegetables and more carbs (because they're friggin' delicious!) in the winter. Less grilling, etc. I'm usually better about portion control in the summer because of the types of foods (easy to portion out chicken breasts or steaks when you grill it along with some squash or zucchini or whatever).

4 minutes ago, fretgod99 said:

I got back into in September-ish of last year. Was good for a couple months then basically was doing the streak thing for like 6 months. Been relatively consistent since then, though. I know it ain't for everybody, but it legitimately helps me stay cognizant of food intake so I will sometimes reconsider. Helps me keep myself in check.

Yeah, when I was actually using it, it really helped me to make good decisions. There was never a time where I was missing logging or going way over. I need to get back to that. Also need to get back into the gym once my calf heals up. 

1 minute ago, iPwn said:

Yeah, when I was actually using it, it really helped me to make good decisions. There was never a time where I was missing logging or going way over. I need to get back to that. Also need to get back into the gym once my calf heals up. 

What'd you do to your calf? Injuries are frustrating as hell. They derail you when you're motivated. Then, if it's a long enough recovery, it can be hard to get remotivated once you're actually able to start working out again.

30 minutes ago, fretgod99 said:

What'd you do to your calf? Injuries are frustrating as hell. They derail you when you're motivated. Then, if it's a long enough recovery, it can be hard to get remotivated once you're actually able to start working out again.

Magnesium deficiency caused a 4 hour cramp that I've yet to get over the strain from. Shouldn't be too much longer before I can get back to it though.