Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

9 minutes ago, amac said:

How many days do you guys take off between benching? When I started I was recommended 1 or 2 but I'm finding I'm much better and can lift more (and cleaner) when I take a third day off.

I usually hit bench again 48-72 hours later. Usually I do Bench on Mondays and Thursdays.

I'm working out every other day now

-Upper, OFF, Lower, OFF, Upper, OFF, Lower, OFF...For now I'm benching every Upper day.

But I'm also only doing One Meal Every Other Day, which is a huge breakfast on my workout days. I workout in the evening. 

Anyone here like doing heavy bag work? I'm getting back into it for cardio and it is absolutely killing my hands. Thought after two or three weeks my hands would condition and toughen up, but I think it has more to do with doing construction and then adding this on top of it. And no, I' not just throwing a bunch of bombs at the bag either. lol

I need to get  a good pair of handwraps, the last pair I had was my dad's from years before I got into it, some old everlast ones IIRC. Anyone have a recommendation for a brand?

3 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Anyone here like doing heavy bag work? I'm getting back into it for cardio and it is absolutely killing my hands. Thought after two or three weeks my hands would condition and toughen up, but I think it has more to do with doing construction and then adding this on top of it. And no, I' not just throwing a bunch of bombs at the bag either. lol

I need to get  a good pair of handwraps, the last pair I had was my dad's from years before I got into it, some old everlast ones IIRC. Anyone have a recommendation for a brand?

Handwraps definitely help. I just use boxing gloves so that my hands don't limit what I can do. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JonStark said:

Handwraps definitely help. I just use boxing gloves so that my hands don't limit what I can do. 

I use boxing gloves, and they are pretty snug too. My knuckles don't hurt at all, it is more the carpals that are between them and my wrist. I'm not throwing haymakers but I am 50+ pounds more than I was last time I did it for cardio, so each punch is probably a bit harder and my hands aren't conditioned for it anymore. Hell I have a lot of constant wear and tear on my hands now that I didn't have 7-8 years ago.

Went ahead and got two styles of wraps, will see whether I like the traditional wraps or the Muay Thai style ones. Until I get them, no more heavy bag work for me.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2019 at 10:44 PM, jetsfan4life51 said:

I'm able to Squat over 300 and Deadlift over 400 without a belt.  Big win! Back has been money lately.

Congrats!

Conventional? I like to switch between conventional and sumo stance for deadlifts.

Oddly enough I don't switch stances for squats though.

Conventional deadlifts but I work different ranges (deficit, floor, off of blocks) and grips (******, mid, clean).

Squats I've done lots of variations but I haven't Front Squatted in about 6 weeks.  I want to test that without a belt.

I've been hammering away at my hamstrings with soft tissue work so I have less tension in my back when I hinge and can pull better with my hammies.

Has anyone run Madcow? When did you stall? It seems very unrealistic to me, 12 week program, but it's not until week 4 you actually lift with your 5 rep PRs, and from there you've got weekly progression in 2.5% increments. So over 20% increase to your maxes in 9 weeks? Seems far fetched to me, at least in terms of the upper body lifts. Everybody considers it an intermediate program, but there is a pretty big gap between one end of "intermediate" and the other, I am thinking it's really just the "new" intermediates that can run this without stalling. Lets them just jump from a beginner 5x5 to this.

We'll see, I am mainly running this for the 3x week squatting which I'll need as I recently re-tooled my squat which set it way back.

Edited by RandyMossIsBoss

On 5/27/2019 at 9:54 AM, MWil23 said:

My weight numbers are the best they've been in a decade. I'm going to continue to lift on a fast. This is interesting.

Testosterone and fat burn potential are through the roof!

Could you share a little bit more what you've been doing? Are you OMAD and working out fasted?

1 hour ago, braylon said:

Could you share a little bit more what you've been doing? Are you OMAD and working out fasted?

I basically worked out this morning on about a 12 hour fast. However, sometimes I drag it out to 20-21 hours, working out at 3, not eating since 6 the previous day.