Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

The insomnia I experience is due to the anxiety disorder / OCD that I have lol. I take OTC sleep aid every day so I'm not up all night. 

I just figured taking pre-workout / drinking energy drinks in the afternoon would compound that issue is all. 

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 8:59 AM, Fl0nkerton said:

The insomnia I experience is due to the anxiety disorder / OCD that I have lol. I take OTC sleep aid every day so I'm not up all night. 

I just figured taking pre-workout / drinking energy drinks in the afternoon would compound that issue is all. 

What's in the sleep aid? 

You really need to be on a bunch of Magnesium.

The second time in two states I have had a fatty roll up to me in Walmart and make a remark about how thin I am.  In Nebraska, I had a fat guy in about his 60's roll up on a Walmart scooter while I was perusing the clearance clothing rack.  He asked me if there was anything small enough to fit me on the rack and before I could process what he had asked, he scooted away. 

Just today in Nebraska I had a similar fatty in about his 50's roll up on his Walmart scooter and remark, "Think you better go regular instead of light on that beer," when I was picking up a 30 pack of light beer. 

I feel like I'm now justified in telling people in Walmart scooters to put back their twinkies and get some celery or maybe take a few walks until their thighs aren't thicker than my entire body.  Could I do that? 

And for the record, I am NOT thin.  Right now I'm 5'11 and between 190-200 pounds at somewhere between 16-20% body fat, so I don't know what makes people think I'm thin enough to insult. 

I could rant more and more because I get this a lot and I really don't understand it.  Everybody at work knows that I work out, they know I drink a gallon of water a day, they know I take vitamins, they know I regiment my meals, they know I take an active interest in fitness, and yet they always seem to condescend about my health and act like I've got it easy when they know I work out and lead a healthy lifestyle. 

Then, when I give them advice on how they could lose weight, they say they don't have time for that.  I remind them I haven't had a two day weekend in all of 2019 and that I AVERAGE 55 hours of work each week and I still have time, and then I remind them that I also eat healthy and they say they can't afford to eat healthy.  Then I remind them that it's literally cheaper to eat less than it is to eat more and they just kinda chuckle like, "Lol, good one, you got me there, I'm gonna keep buying soda instead of water." 

I really just wish I could understand the mindset of being complacent in your life, in your fitness level, in your career, in your monetary situation.  The same thing happens with money all the time, too.  I tell people how I make money and they say they don't have time for it.  I tell them it literally takes ten minutes, and they say they don't have time for it. 

How do people get like that? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

The second time in two states I have had a fatty roll up to me in Walmart and make a remark about how thin I am.  In Nebraska, I had a fat guy in about his 60's roll up on a Walmart scooter while I was perusing the clearance clothing rack.  He asked me if there was anything small enough to fit me on the rack and before I could process what he had asked, he scooted away. 

Just today in Nebraska I had a similar fatty in about his 50's roll up on his Walmart scooter and remark, "Think you better go regular instead of light on that beer," when I was picking up a 30 pack of light beer. 

I feel like I'm now justified in telling people in Walmart scooters to put back their twinkies and get some celery or maybe take a few walks until their thighs aren't thicker than my entire body.  Could I do that? 

And for the record, I am NOT thin.  Right now I'm 5'11 and between 190-200 pounds at somewhere between 16-20% body fat, so I don't know what makes people think I'm thin enough to insult. 

I could rant more and more because I get this a lot and I really don't understand it.  Everybody at work knows that I work out, they know I drink a gallon of water a day, they know I take vitamins, they know I regiment my meals, they know I take an active interest in fitness, and yet they always seem to condescend about my health and act like I've got it easy when they know I work out and lead a healthy lifestyle. 

Then, when I give them advice on how they could lose weight, they say they don't have time for that.  I remind them I haven't had a two day weekend in all of 2019 and that I AVERAGE 55 hours of work each week and I still have time, and then I remind them that I also eat healthy and they say they can't afford to eat healthy.  Then I remind them that it's literally cheaper to eat less than it is to eat more and they just kinda chuckle like, "Lol, good one, you got me there, I'm gonna keep buying soda instead of water." 

I really just wish I could understand the mindset of being complacent in your life, in your fitness level, in your career, in your monetary situation.  The same thing happens with money all the time, too.  I tell people how I make money and they say they don't have time for it.  I tell them it literally takes ten minutes, and they say they don't have time for it. 

Just remember, the Walmart people have to live their lives like that. Let them make their snide comments from their scooter and just have a laugh. 

As for the complacent thing, people prioritize things differently. Usually there's one area that they are trying to become better at which requires more attention (whether it's career, relationship, fitness, etc.) which do force other areas to become complacent at the time depending on what their goals are. For example, right now in my job and fitness areas, I'm fine being fairly complacent because I'm focusing more on getting married and getting more into animal rescue. You can do a lot more with your time than most people realize, but there is only a certain amount of it in a day that can be used. Now, in the next few years I'll probably start looking for a promotion but for now, I'm fine being complacent in certain areas to be able to improve in others.

That being said, that doesn't apply for everyone. Some people truly don't have the time because they are focusing their attention on things other people may not relate to or deem important while others do have the time and choose to waste it. You're probably more speaking to the latter, but hopefully that gives a little perspective from my view. 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2019 at 2:38 PM, Outpost31 said:

My roommates are like this and it kind of bums me out. One of them is probably 5' 2" 200+ lbs and crushes 5 sodas a day no problem. Has a family history of high cholesterol and eats red meat at least 3x a week. Just sits in his room and plays video games in his free time. Sometimes he'll go on health kicks where he eats salads for lunch, but that's it. No exercise whatsoever. He bought new shoes to wear to Las Vegas last month and "broke them in" by walking around the block once but had to quit halfway through because his knees were hurting. 

The other one is probably 5' 10" 230+. Works nights and plays video games in his free time too. Door Dashes any and every meal he can. Only physical activity he participates in is beer pong. Openly admits he probably won't make it to 50.

Literally blows my mind how they let this happen. And they haven't always been at that weight. They've probably put on 20 lbs in the last 15 months and that might be conservative.

On 5/23/2019 at 7:06 PM, Sugashane said:

I use boxing gloves, and they are pretty snug too. My knuckles don't hurt at all, it is more the carpals that are between them and my wrist. I'm not throwing haymakers but I am 50+ pounds more than I was last time I did it for cardio, so each punch is probably a bit harder and my hands aren't conditioned for it anymore. Hell I have a lot of constant wear and tear on my hands now that I didn't have 7-8 years ago.

Went ahead and got two styles of wraps, will see whether I like the traditional wraps or the Muay Thai style ones. Until I get them, no more heavy bag work for me.

Make sure you’re hitting square, on the right knuckles, with a tight fist. Wrist in line with elbow is a big one, especially on hooks.

Heavy bag work is great cardio, but it’s easy to f up if your technique isn’t clean. Kicks especially are a killer cardio workout. My cardio is the gym is usually round kicks on the bag, tabata style, alternating legs between sets. Good times.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fretgod99 said:

Make sure you’re hitting square, on the right knuckles, with a tight fist. Wrist in line with elbow is a big one, especially on hooks.

Heavy bag work is great cardio, but it’s easy to f up if your technique isn’t clean. Kicks especially are a killer cardio workout. My cardio is the gym is usually round kicks on the bag, tabata style, alternating legs between sets. Good times.

This is something I found I am definitely getting lazy on late in the workout. Footwork gets REALLY poor too.

Cool tricks that a dude showed me there though, using the toe separators girls use for pedicures and then a pair of thin strips of tape around the knuckles and between the fingers make a world of difference. I'll put the tape on and then put the toe separator on, then wrap my hands. Haven't had an issue with my hands since. Wrist can get jammed up with a lazy punch though.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone done StrongLifts 5x5?

I haven’t been in the gym for a good minute due to injury and thought I’d give this a shot. I know it’s a beginner program but I figure it couldn’t hurt to do it for 2-3 months to get myself back into the swing of things. 

Any pros or cons anyone can think of? My current goal is to get strength back and lose some belly fat along the way. 

5 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

I haven’t been in the gym for a good minute due to injury and thought I’d give this a shot. I know it’s a beginner program but I figure it couldn’t hurt to do it for 2-3 months to get myself back into the swing of things. 

Any pros or cons anyone can think of? My current goal is to get strength back and lose some belly fat along the way. 

I’ve done it, it’s a decent program.  No reason not to do it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

I ran it many years ago.  It sounds like it is right up the alley for what you are trying to do.  You can run it a lot longer than 2-3 months, if you don't get tired of it.  You should still be progressing, at that point.  

The only cons are that it can get boring, and you'll feel like you're not doing much accessory work.  The further you get in the program, the more unattainable that added 5lb's becomes, too.

It will absolutely help you build your strength back up.  Burning belly fat will obviously depend on your diet, but the program will definitely have you sweating and burning through calories, in the gym.  It's a great program to build a foundation on, and the programmed rest days help people from getting burnout too early, after that initial honeymoon phase of getting back in the gym is over.  I recommend it to anybody who asks, that is beginning, or trying to get back into the swing, after a substantial break for working out. 

Great choice

• Like 1

On 6/12/2019 at 2:38 PM, Outpost31 said:

Tell me, I have time for it

44 minutes ago, jyod21 said:

I ran it many years ago.  It sounds like it is right up the alley for what you are trying to do.  You can run it a lot longer than 2-3 months, if you don't get tired of it.  You should still be progressing, at that point.  

The only cons are that it can get boring, and you'll feel like you're not doing much accessory work.  The further you get in the program, the more unattainable that added 5lb's becomes, too.

It will absolutely help you build your strength back up.  Burning belly fat will obviously depend on your diet, but the program will definitely have you sweating and burning through calories, in the gym.  It's a great program to build a foundation on, and the programmed rest days help people from getting burnout too early, after that initial honeymoon phase of getting back in the gym is over.  I recommend it to anybody who asks, that is beginning, or trying to get back into the swing, after a substantial break for working out. 

Great choice

Yeah, right now the starting weights are way too low. I did up them some, but I didn't raise them too high since it adds weight each workout. In the mean time, I've added dips to Day A and chinups to Day B to get a little extra work in there. On my off days I'm alternating between the P90s yoga and stretching and maybe some cardio when I can.

I appreciate the feedback!

On 6/25/2019 at 6:27 PM, jetsfan4life51 said:

I wouldn't run anything longer than 6 weeks.  I personally do 3 weeks max.  I don't know how you can enjoy the same program for so long unless you are varying the exercises each month like Back Squat first month, Front Squat second month and Squat w/ Chains the 3rd.

I know you gotta switch it up every now and then. But no longer than 6 weeks seems counter intuitive.