Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

Here's this regiment I came up with that I've been following. Note that every day I (try) to fall asleep at 11:30, wake up at 7 (7.5 hours) and I drink at least a gallon of water and 1 cup of black coffee.

Monday, Wednesday, Friday: Powerlifting

Breakfast: Mediterranean scrambled eggs that was fried in olive oil with spinach, tomatoes, olives and feta cheese. Cup of black coffee.

1st snack: Couple squares of 90% dark chocolate with a little bit of peanut butter smeared on.

Lunch: Varies week to week. I like to rotate between jambalaya w/o shrimp and sausage, vegetarian chili, minestrone, whatever you call this, hummus, noodleless chicken soup, beef stew, etc. I eat the same thing for the week to simplify things and cut costs.

2nd snack: Fruit of choice, usually whatever is in season. Right now during the summer I'm digging blueberries covered in lemon juice, blackberries, watermelon and bananas.

My workout is exactly like Stronglifts 5x5, except I only do squats, bench press and deadlifts. I like the simplicity of this.

Dinner: Varies like lunch. Usually I have another soup/stew or a pasta dish that I store in the fridge that I eat for the whole week. Since it's Friday I had wild salmon fried in olive oil with this avocado + sriracha mixture that's the bomb (avocados cool down the sriracha while retaining the smoky/garlic taste). I paired that with this garlic red potatoes recipe that is absolutely delicious.

Tuesday/Thursday: Cardio

The only difference is that I skip breakfast. Cardio during the summer when we have more sunlight is usually just riding my bike around or a walk.

Weekends

Saturday is mostly spent doing chores and meal prepping, so I fast until night time when I'm with friends, even then I make a meal out of an appetizer. Sunday is spent mostly socializing with said friends, so I'm not eating much either.

Edited by Elky

RE: Repping out 225 lb like at the NFL Combine.

I recently read something on how to prepare oneself on maxing out the number of reps one does on 225 lb. I tried it this morning and I got 2 more reps compared to the last couple of times I did it.

This is if you bench easily in the upper 300's, already:

Warm up with a few reps of 135 lb, and a couple reps of 185 lb, like one normally would. Then, do 1 rep of 225 lb, 1 rep of 275 lb, then 1 rep of 315 lb to prime yourself. Wait 3-5 minutes, then do your 225 lb for max reps.

7 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

RE: Repping out 225 lb like at the NFL Combine.

I recently read something on how to prepare oneself on maxing out the number of reps one does on 225 lb. I tried it this morning and I got 2 more reps compared to the last couple of times I did it.

This is if you bench easily in the upper 300's, already:

Warm up with a few reps of 135 lb, and a couple reps of 185 lb, like one normally would. Then, do 1 rep of 225 lb, 1 rep of 275 lb, then 1 rep of 315 lb to prime yourself. Wait 3-5 minutes, then do your 225 lb for max reps.

Yeah if you prime the CNS you will get more reps.  For those who haven't tried before in a workout it's called 1/6.  First you do a set of ~90% 1RM followed by your 6 RM a minute or so later.  Next set you bump up to 92% then you add a little for your set of 6.  Third set 95% and hit a nice PR.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still doing the 5x5 strong lifts. A lot of the starting weights were too low so I bumped them up early on. I often wonder what my one rep max is but I don't want to waste a workout to find out. After I start plateauing and switch to a new routine I may give it a shot.

Without going back and reading 110 pages, have supplements been talked about here? Currently I'm taking an amino energy pre-workout and whey protein with creatine afterwards. I felt a little extra energy day one using the aminos but I haven't noticed a difference since. Maybe day one was a mental thing?

Edited by kingseanjohn

On 06/07/2019 at 1:45 PM, Elky said:

-snipsnop-

tbh let’s talk our diet, fitness bro’s, what is the stuff we eat to keep us fit and firing - for me to cook and cook healthy and nutritious is one of the pillars of what i’m about as an athlete and as a person in general

one of my favourite ingredients is ajvar, which is this croatian mixture of capsicum, eggplant, tomato and other spicier peppers, and it’s a great thing to make up your sauces, especially if you’re cooking mediterranean style meals like pasta - but i put it in to burritos, pies, on pizzas, anything you put red sauce on or any sauce on

On 7/20/2019 at 10:43 PM, kingseanjohn said:

I'm still doing the 5x5 strong lifts. A lot of the starting weights were too low so I bumped them up early on. I often wonder what my one rep max is but I don't want to waste a workout to find out. After I start plateauing and switch to a new routine I may give it a shot.

Without going back and reading 110 pages, have supplements been talked about here? Currently I'm taking an amino energy pre-workout and whey protein with creatine afterwards. I felt a little extra energy day one using the aminos but I haven't noticed a difference since. Maybe day one was a mental thing?

Amino energy for me as well before/during the beginning of the workout. I think I gained a little tolerance, but definitely notice a difference when I don't take it.

After, I go with the MP Combat since it has both whey and casein. The vanilla is soooooo good. 

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 10:43 PM, kingseanjohn said:

You can estimate your 1RM using a 1RM calculator. 

I love Amino Energy, just add more scoops if you want a kick.

I like aminos as an intraworkout, they give me a little extra juice.

I general I think most supplements are either BS or not worth the cost. My “must haves” are creatine (because it works), magnesium and vitamins D3 (because pretty much everyone is deficient in them) and that’s about it.

I also take a multivitamin because it’s “cheap insurance”, but their efficacy has been questioned for a long time now.  

So 3 “must haves” and 2 things I like but could live without.

Protein powder is generally unnecessary unless you’re using it as/adding it to a meal replacement. Most folks get enough protein without it.  The “one gram per pound” nonsense was started by the fitness industry to sell this crap, plenty of evidence nowadays showing you don't need nearly that much.

Preworkouts are whatever.  Use them if you must, but at a dollar a scoop I’ll just have coffee.

On 6/24/2019 at 11:24 AM, dtait93 said:

Tell me, I have time for it

On 6/12/2019 at 2:38 PM, Outpost31 said:

I tell people how I make money and they say they don't have time for it.  I tell them it literally takes ten minutes, and they say they don't have time for it.

I also have time for it

4 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Random, but just throwing it out there. Does anyone have any issues w/ high cholesterol? Mine is relatively high (250s) and I'm trying to get it lower without the aid of medication, has anyone been able to successfully get their cholesterol levels down and what means have you used?

Keto

• Like 1