Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

10 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Random, but just throwing it out there. Does anyone have any issues w/ high cholesterol? Mine is relatively high (250s) and I'm trying to get it lower without the aid of medication, has anyone been able to successfully get their cholesterol levels down and what means have you used?

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Keto

Keto sent mine upwards.

Anyway, there’s more to it than just total cholesterol. Things like LDL to triglyceride ratio (amongst others) seem to provide a better indication of cardiovascular risk.

Generic way to lower cholesterol?  Vegan diet, healthy fats, stop smoking and lose weight/exercise.  Not saying vegan is ideal for everything, but your cholesterol will likely decrease. Just know about 80-85% of your total cholesterol is produced by your body, so diet is only going to do so much.  

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

Ive heard that it can happen short term. But Keto for most people reduces their Tri's and LDL while increasing their HDL. 

For most people Keto will shoot HDL up and reduce your triglycerides.

LDL will vary, but it will usually increases.

Whether that’s even bad is up for debate at this point with newer info saying it may not be.

7 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Keto

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/10-benefits-of-low-carb-ketogenic-diets#section3

Sounds promising. I've had some friends who went on it and lost a lot of weight, but I never thought to do it myself and I naturally assumed it would have the opposite effect. Definitely intrigued though. Worth a shot for sure. Thanks!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Keto sent mine upwards.

Anyway, there’s more to it than just total cholesterol. Things like LDL to triglyceride ratio (amongst others) seem to provide a better indication of cardiovascular risk.

Generic way to lower cholesterol?  Vegan diet, healthy fats, stop smoking and lose weight/exercise.  Not saying vegan is ideal for everything, but your cholesterol will likely decrease. Just know about 80-85% of your total cholesterol is produced by your body, so diet is only going to do so much.  

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/low-carb-diets-and-cholesterol

Raises some interesting points. I think it's at least worth a try in my case.

Has anyone tried Quest protein bars and cookies? They use a lot of sugar alcohol and fiber. Those things are awesome and have so many flavors. My favorite Quest protein bar is the blueberry muffin. And I choose the chocolate chip protein cookie because it has only 4 net carbs.

12 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

Has anyone tried Quest protein bars and cookies? They use a lot of sugar alcohol and fiber. Those things are awesome and have so many flavors. My favorite Quest protein bar is the blueberry muffin. And I choose the chocolate chip protein cookie because it has only 4 net carbs.

I've had the Cookies n Cream Quest protein bar.

It does its job but its very dry so you'll be choking it down. I got sick of them after a week.

16 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

Yeah. Everyone brags about the blueberry, but I only thought it was okay. I like the mint chocolate chip one. 

6 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

I like Quest bars quite a bit. 

If you have a costco membership, the Kirkland brand protein bars are basically identical to Quest and significantly cheaper, if you're fine being limited to the flavors they offer. 

The costco ones were an acquired taste for me. I've come to enjoy the brownie ones and the chocolate chip are alright. I still haven't gotten to liking the chocolate peanut butter chunk  or cookies and cream yet.

I recently read a report though that has concerns about the amount of heavy metals in the costco brand. Not sure on the validity of it.

Looking to change up my ab/cardio days. Below is the ab/cardio workout that Christian Bale allegedly did for American Psycho.

1. High Intensity Interval Training: Perform on Treadmill, Stationary Bike or Elliptical or Sprinting outside

Option 1: 30 seconds hard / 30 seconds easy x 12

Option 2: 60 seconds hard / 60 seconds easy x 8

2. Low Intensity Cardio – perform on any piece of cardio equipment

15-30 minutes at a pace similar to walking

3. Core Training

Hanging Leg Raises: 3 x 8-12 reps (90 seconds rest)

Kneeling Abs Wheel Roll outs: 2 sets x 8-12 reps (90 seconds rest)

I love sprinting intervals but I have foot/ankle issues and would have to do bike or elliptical for HIIT. In addition to the leg raises and wheel roll, I'd more than likely add incline crunches and planks.

Any thoughts?

Does anyone go very low calorie on their non-lifting days?

I've been eating only 1 meal: 6oz raw steak, 4 raw eggs, 1 tbsp of butter at lunchtime, with some supplements. Then I drink down 2 tbsp of psyllium husk before bedtime.

I haven't been weighing myself, but my waistline feels noticeably smaller when doing this. I also use a tribulus/forskolin supplement for strength and energy. I've ordered a boron supplement too.

1 hour ago, freak_of_nature said:

Does anyone go very low calorie on their non-lifting days?

I've been eating only 1 meal: 6oz raw steak, 4 raw eggs, 1 tbsp of butter at lunchtime, with some supplements. Then I drink down 2 tbsp of psyllium husk before bedtime.

I haven't been weighing myself, but my waistline feels noticeably smaller when doing this. I also use a tribulus/forskolin supplement for strength and energy. I've ordered a boron supplement too.

What is Boron?