Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

20 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

Does anyone go very low calorie on their non-lifting days?

I've been eating only 1 meal: 6oz raw steak, 4 raw eggs, 1 tbsp of butter at lunchtime, with some supplements. Then I drink down 2 tbsp of psyllium husk before bedtime.

I haven't been weighing myself, but my waistline feels noticeably smaller when doing this. I also use a tribulus/forskolin supplement for strength and energy. I've ordered a boron supplement too.

Mark Bell and Christian Thibaudeau are big on this.  On your off day fast or go low protein so you get huge mTOR stimulus when you increase your protein on a lifting day.

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 11:18 PM, kingseanjohn said:

Looking to change up my ab/cardio days. Below is the ab/cardio workout that Christian Bale allegedly did for American Psycho.

I love sprinting intervals but I have foot/ankle issues and would have to do bike or elliptical for HIIT. In addition to the leg raises and wheel roll, I'd more than likely add incline crunches and planks.

Any thoughts?

The most effective way to do abs is alternating between cardio and abs.  Get bloodflow to the abs by doing your leg raises or whatever so you can release the fat then the cardio can burn it off.  I'm really not a fan of abs unless you are lean and they are showing.  Modified Strongman training is great bc those will all rock your core, get your heart rate up and improve your lifts. Put a 300+ lb Yoke on your back and you will feel your stomach.

• 2 weeks later...

Short story short, my main weight/frame is 6’4” 170.  I was fed up looking like so weak that I increased my caloric intake from about 1500 to 3k.  I worked out and made significant gains but felt like crap, had low energy and was fighting nausea a lot.  I looked like I wanted to look but it took a mental toll.  I went back to my old diet/weight and felt much better.  Even though I look like a scrawny sack sh*t I feel like I’m at my best mentally/emotionally at my old levels so I just accepted it.  Don’t know how y’all hard gainers do it.

On 8/10/2019 at 3:32 AM, DirtyDez said:

Short story short, my main weight/frame is 6’4” 170.  I was fed up looking like so weak that I increased my caloric intake from about 1500 to 3k.  I worked out and made significant gains but felt like crap, had low energy and was fighting nausea a lot.  I looked like I wanted to look but it took a mental toll.  I went back to my old diet/weight and felt much better.  Even though I look like a scrawny sack sh*t I feel like I’m at my best mentally/emotionally at my old levels so I just accepted it.  Don’t know how y’all hard gainers do it.

What did your 3k diet consist of?

3 hours ago, Tetsujin said:

What did your 3k diet consist of?

Breakfast: Omelette with lots of cheese and some fruit plus protein shake - 1k

Lunch: Teriyaki bowl with white rice and veggies plus body armor drink and chips - 700ish cals

Dinner: usually fast food - Chick fil a sandwich with fries/shake - over 1,500 cals or a burger somewhere 

Unsalted cashews throughout the day to round up to 3k and usually a cup of sauerkraut to get things moving.  Packing cals has been more of a digestion problem than anything.  It always feels like there’s 3 bricks in my gut even though I’m super skinny.

On 8/10/2019 at 3:32 AM, DirtyDez said:

I mean, ya doubled your caloric intake quickly.  How’d ya think that would feel?

Slow it down my man, it’s not a sprint.  Go back to a comfortable level, add 250 calories a week and give your GI system some time to adjust.

And lay off the fast food, that nasty stuff hasn’t helped anyone’s GI situation in the history of mankind.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, ya doubled your caloric intake quickly.  How’d ya think that would feel?

Slow it down my man, it’s not a sprint.  Go back to a comfortable level, add 250 calories a week and give your GI system some time to adjust.

And lay off the fast food, that nasty stuff hasn’t helped anyone’s GI situation in the history of mankind.

I thought it was a pretty clean 3k considering the daily fruits/veggies and fermented foods plus you can do worse fast food than Chick Fil A.  There’s guys on r/gainit that primary build with trash and it’s effective for some .  A double whopper w/extra cheese and fries/soda is over 2k alone.

They also say you’re supposed to eat before bed so you’re not in a fasting state when you wake up but it’s hard to sleep after eating.  It just wasn’t for me but my BMI is on the edge so gave it a shot.  

11 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

I thought it was a pretty clean 3k considering the daily fruits/veggies and fermented foods plus you can do worse fast food than Chick Fil A.  There’s guys on r/gainit that primary build with trash and it’s effective for some .  A double whopper w/extra cheese and fries/soda is over 2k alone.

Oh you’ll gain weight, but that’s a bunch of processed sht.  

Your diet isn’t awful, but there are healthier things to eat in general than fried food from a drive through.  At least not everyday.

They also say you’re supposed to eat before bed so you’re not in a fasting state when you wake up but it’s hard to sleep after eating.  It just wasn’t for me but my BMI is on the edge so gave it a shot.  

Meh, eat more than you need and that’s all that matters for weight gain.  Timing is overrated (kinda).  It’s certainly not worth literally losing sleep over.

Add some avocados, they’re full of fiber for your gut and lots of fat for calories.  A tablespoon of olive oil on your chicken and rice.  Bacon or sausage (no added nitrates) with the omelet.  Whole milk.

I personally have never found supplements/shakes to be particularly easy on the stomach.  You seem to be getting plenty of protein without it.

Carbs make me bloated, Ymmv.

Keep your expectations in check too.  An experienced lifter may only gain 5-10 pounds of lean weight in a year (less the more experienced you are).  If you’re wanting to pack on 20-30 pounds, realize that takes time.  That’s clean weight anyway.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

In addition to what brownies said fast food can be a bit rough on your stomach especially if you’re doing it late. It’s one thing to load up on calories late, but when it’s fried foods with a lot of salt it may not sit all that well.

of course having said that I’ve been bulking slowly and sometimes it’s not all that clean. Eventually my body adjusted to the new calorie intake though sometimes I still have to grind through those extra snacks and meals.

1 hour ago, project T.O said:

In addition to what brownies said fast food can be a bit rough on your stomach especially if you’re doing it late. It’s one thing to load up on calories late, but when it’s fried foods with a lot of salt it may not sit all that well.

of course having said that I’ve been bulking slowly and sometimes it’s not all that clean. Eventually my body adjusted to the new calorie intake though sometimes I still have to grind through those extra snacks and meals.

It’s tough without cheating for some easy cals.  Unless you have a lot time and resources you’re going to have to go the processed route. 

Its also difficult to snack b/c you don’t give your digestive system a rest.  I prefer to go with big meals every 5-6 hrs.  Even downing those shakes can be uncomfortable.  I’ve heard pretty bad things about gainer powder.

Edited by DirtyDez

On 8/11/2019 at 10:48 PM, DirtyDez said:

It’s tough without cheating for some easy cals.  Unless you have a lot time and resources you’re going to have to go the processed route. 

Its also difficult to snack b/c you don’t give your digestive system a rest.  I prefer to go with big meals every 5-6 hrs.  Even downing those shakes can be uncomfortable.  I’ve heard pretty bad things about gainer powder.

Honestly gainer powder is trash. As much if not more processed crap than most fast food combos.

For my shakes I'll do TrueNutrition protein, some blended oats, and heavy cream/milk. Adds plenty of calories. I've also found out my wife's Reese's coffee creamer adds some nice flavor too. On my busy days I'll just take one on the way to the site and after a workout.