Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

8 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

This has been discussed before, but I can't find it;

What's everyone's thoughts on Protein when cutting? Do you all go in for the 1g/lb? I've read a study that shows 0.82g/lb is an upper limit sweet spot. Any thoughts?

A gram/kg is plenty.

The gram per pound stuff is BS created by supplement companies to sell their crap.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

A gram/kg is plenty.

The gram per pound stuff is BS created by supplement companies to sell their crap.

Oh that's cool then. Having said that, i'm massively overshooting then....at 95kg I get approx 150g in, thinking that was too little.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2019 at 8:38 AM, Tetsujin said:

I haven't been able to lose any weight the past 2 weeks. Maybe it has to do with me being a bit insulin resistant still, or being 35 now, or both. I've been doing keto/low carb, well under my maintenance calories, so the weight should be falling off. I've also did 1 hr of steady state cardio the past couple of days to try to kick start things. You'd think I would've lost 1 lb. I might go back to a Protein Sparing Modified Fast, which I hate doing. I've also been taking Cardarine the past 2 weeks. My first dose sent me through the roof. I felt like I needed to sprint 10 miles. I guess that was my body getting shocked by it because it hasn't really hit me again after the other times I took it. I hope to finish a 12-week cycle. Some say there are risks (although human trials haven't had side effects), but I think being an overweight diabetic for too long is also a risk.  

What the heck is Cardarine?

I suggest increasing calories and protein.  How much protein do you get?

I can find a study saying there are no muscle building benefits beyond 0.8g/lb of protein, and a study saying you need up to 2.2g/lb to maximize muscle building. It's really not an exact science, but as far as I know what most people follow (including myself) is 1g/lb. No harm (well... besides the calories) in going higher. When cutting I usually bump up protein a bit.

I finished my first cycle of Mad Cow last week, failed my very last set week 12 on the bench but that was it, but other than that it was smooth sailing. Huge fan of the program.

Towards week 9 or 10 I could begin to feel my body breaking down a bit from the high intensity, CNS seemed to be recovering fine but I was accumulating little injuries (pec strain, groin pull, wrist tendonitis, all very minor) so taking a flat out rest week, then running another cycle (1st 3 weeks is essentially deload). Looking forward to continuing the strength gains... and no longer fitting in any of my pants!...

Just now, kingseanjohn said:

@RandyMossIsBoss After I finish StrongLifts I plan on doing Mad Cow. Are you using an app or keeping track on paper? One of my favorite things about SL is the free app. 

You use an excel file for the program, which you can easily find online, where you enter your maxes. It then spits out your 12 week program. So what I did was take a picture of this to be my reference for each workout, and then used the notes app on my phone to write down each workout. Maybe seems like a hassle, but not too bad. For example, I was going MWF, so usually Monday night or Tuesday I would go to the picture to see my Wednesday workout and record it in my notes. Gets you pumped for your next workout once you're beyond week 4 and into PR territory.

Also, just an FYI, I added 3 sets of 10-12 reps each for Tris and Bis on Monday's and Friday's. Why? Eh I enjoy iso arm work, and honestly the volume isn't too high overall and there obviously is no direct arm work built in. My body was definitely able to handle it, but I really am not sure whether or not it benefited me, so I'm not necessarily recommending it, just thought I'd share that. My arms did grow around .75 inches (some of which certainly fat), but no telling if those few sets of arms made any difference, that arm growth could just have easily solely come from the increase in my main lifts as my arms were not too big to begin with (15').

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

You use an excel file for the program, which you can easily find online, where you enter your maxes. It then spits out your 12 week program. So what I did was take a picture of this to be my reference for each workout, and then used the notes app on my phone to write down each workout. Maybe seems like a hassle, but not too bad. For example, I was going MWF, so usually Monday night or Tuesday I would go to the picture to see my Wednesday workout and record it in my notes. Gets you pumped for your next workout once you're beyond week 4 and into PR territory.

Also, just an FYI, I added 3 sets of 10-12 reps each for Tris and Bis on Monday's and Friday's. Why? Eh I enjoy iso arm work, and honestly the volume isn't too high overall and there obviously is no direct arm work built in. My body was definitely able to handle it, but I really am not sure whether or not it benefited me, so I'm not necessarily recommending it, just thought I'd share that. My arms did grow around .75 inches (some of which certainly fat), but no telling if those few sets of arms made any difference, that arm growth could just have easily solely come from the increase in my main lifts as my arms were not too big to begin with (15').

I’ll probably do the same. I don’t have a set workout schedule since my work hours constantly change. So I just go when I can day or night  

I’ve been adding arm work into SL without issue so I’ll continue that. I’m getting awfully tired/bored of squats though. Hopefully that’ll pass. I wish I would’ve done measurements and pictures before I started. I definitely notice some good changes but it’d be nice to really see the improvement. 

On 8/31/2019 at 12:27 PM, Hunter2_1 said:

This has been discussed before, but I can't find it;

What's everyone's thoughts on Protein when cutting? Do you all go in for the 1g/lb? I've read a study that shows 0.82g/lb is an upper limit sweet spot. Any thoughts?

When cutting you really need to make sure you are getting enough protein.  At 95kg 150g is not nearly enough even if you aren't cutting.

3 hours ago, smetana34 said:

Who does yoga? Thinking of adding it on my off days (started SL) so thinking of doing it Tuesday- Thursday- Saturday inbetween lift days. Is three days recommended? Too much; too little? Was thinking of finding a 30-45 minute program. Any insight is helpful

I'm new to the practice.. Check out Yoga With Adrienne on youtube.. shes the best there is on youtube IMO, and it's not close. Your body will tell you what's too much..

• Like 1