Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

On 9/4/2019 at 11:08 PM, jetsfan4life51 said:

When cutting you really need to make sure you are getting enough protein.  At 95kg 150g is not nearly enough even if you aren't cutting.

Did I do my math wrong or isn't this over .9g of protein per pound of body weight? Definitely enough if you are cutting.

On 8/26/2019 at 12:53 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

Anyone ever tried NFL-like workouts? There's little point other than curiosity, but still...

Their workouts seems to be very power based; weighted jumps, power cleans, bands, slams etc. So I ask you - how do they get so goddamned huge and ripped doing this? Is it because this is all we see (on youtube or franchise media) and they're also doing their own stuff? 

A lot of them aren't getting that big naturally.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone ever do much gymless/gymnastic workouts? I'd like my son to do more bodyweight exercises that focus on TUT rather than explosion since he rarely takes a break from sports, and have seen a few YouTube videos but never done more than traditional pull ups, lying rows, etc. I might be willing to do some with him (he is 9) but it is completely out of my element.

Edited by Sugashane

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any recommended routines? I'm ideally looking for a 4-day split lifting on Monday/Wednesday/Friday/Sunday. 

I don't really have any specific goals right now besides dropping some pounds, just something mostly looking for something I can focus on and hopefully progress with. I tried a 3 week trial with a trainer at my gym but wasn't a huge fan of that program. It was a high volume program where I'd end up doing a weird assortment of exercises, something like 3x20 at 50-60% max, but I mostly just felt like I was rushing through each workout. 

On 9/25/2019 at 2:16 PM, Sugashane said:

Anyone ever do much gymless/gymnastic workouts? I'd like my son to do more bodyweight exercises that focus on TUT rather than explosion since he rarely takes a break from sports, and have seen a few YouTube videos but never done more than traditional pull ups, lying rows, etc. I might be willing to do some with him (he is 9) but it is completely out of my element.

I did P90x a long time ago and it worked. But seeing that your son is 9, I have no idea.

2 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

Anyone have any recommended routines? I'm ideally looking for a 4-day split lifting on Monday/Wednesday/Friday/Sunday. 

I don't really have any specific goals right now besides dropping some pounds, just something mostly looking for something I can focus on and hopefully progress with. I tried a 3 week trial with a trainer at my gym but wasn't a huge fan of that program. It was a high volume program where I'd end up doing a weird assortment of exercises, something like 3x20 at 50-60% max, but I mostly just felt like I was rushing through each workout. 

I’m a fan of hitting each body part 2x per week with 3-4 sets per body part and keeping reps in the 8-12 range.

I generally don’t go to failure or anywhere close, just enough to stimulate some growth and burn some calories.  

I heard someone describe how you should feel after a workout as such “you should know you’ve lifted and be tired, but should still be able to kick someone’s asss if need be”.  I like that approach.  Get after it and be productive in the gym, but don’t demolish your body as it doesn’t really do anything more than slow recovery.  If you can’t hit the body part again 72 hours later, you went too hard.

Some of the high volume stuff and/or low rep/high weight stuff is great if you’re on gear, but for natural lifter (especially guys in their 30’s or 40’s) you mostly just increase risk of injury and have more joint pain. 

My 2 cents anyway...

• Like 2

On 9/9/2019 at 8:15 PM, DigInBoys said:

A lot of them aren't getting that big naturally.

These guys are also elite level athletes with superb genetics. Gear or no gear these guys will respond to any kind of exercise much better than your average Joe. 

Not to mention they have a lot of money and resources to optimize all of that work with top notch diets and recovery tools. 

On 10/3/2019 at 4:45 PM, skywindO2 said:

I have a pretty basic one, but it's actually been pretty great so far. I can send you the full workout if you want, but it's basically:

Shoulders/triceps/biceps
Legs/abs
Back/Chest
Cardio/abs