Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

On 1/27/2020 at 12:44 PM, braylon said:

Any recommendations on a "template" of sorts for German Body Comp plan?

Simplest form would be....

A1) Quad Dominant 4 x 10-12

A2) Upper  Vertical Pull 4 x 10-12

B1) Hip Dominant 4 x 10-12

B2) Upper Vertical Push 4 x 10-12

C1) Quad 4 x 10-12

C2) Upper Horizontal Pull 4 x 10-12

D1) Hamstring 4 x 10-12

D2) Upper Horizontal Push 4 x 10-12

30-60s rest in between each set

You can mix and match, D) can be all strongman/sled work

• Like 1

A1) Back Squat 4 x 10-12

A2) Chin Up/Lat Pulldown 4 x 10-12

B1) Trap Bar Deadlift 4 x 10-12

B2) DB Shoulder Press 4 x 10-12

C1) Leg Press 4 x 15-20

C2) Cable Rows 4 x 10-12

D1) Hamstring Curls 4 x 10-12

D2) DB Chest Press 4 x 10-12

Can also play around with sets and reps, can do A1-A4 then B1-B4 taking less rest in between exercises.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

A1) Back Squat 4 x 10-12

A2) Chin Up/Lat Pulldown 4 x 10-12

B1) Trap Bar Deadlift 4 x 10-12

B2) DB Shoulder Press 4 x 10-12

C1) Leg Press 4 x 15-20

C2) Cable Rows 4 x 10-12

D1) Hamstring Curls 4 x 10-12

D2) DB Chest Press 4 x 10-12

Can also play around with sets and reps, can do A1-A4 then B1-B4 taking less rest in between exercises.

I appreciate it. I guess my question is, frequency and variation.. I imagine it's tough to go back to back days.. So like, based on my grad school schedule I was thinking something like:

Monday - Off

Tuesday - Lift

Wednesday - Basketball

Thursday - Lift

Friday - Yoga

Saturday - Lift (+sometime yoga)

Sunday - Basketball/rock climbing/yoga.. or maybe some more auxiliary lifts like a mild arm workout or something.. 

I have messed around with some german body comp this past week and I definitely enjoyed it, but just feel a little lost in the details. I have only every done the traditional "monday - chest, tuesday - back/bis, etc." Would you say I target those same areas every time but attempt to change up some of the exercises? 

Training for the Army with a friend of mine who is transferring from Air Force to Army. Currently at 250 lbs and my ultimate goal is to get to 190.

Except Sunday, I get up at 5am each morning and do some pushups and situps.

Monday: Squats, steady cardio

Tuesday: Steady cardio

Wednesday: Bench Press, tricep exercises, HIIT cardio

Thursday: Steady cardio

Friday: Deadlifts, bicep exercises, steady cardio

Saturday: 4 mile rucking (Usually done every other week)

Sunday: Rest

The following stuff is banned from my diet:

-Virtually all take out - Keeps me thin and my wallet fat. Only places I eat out at are Sweet Tomatoes and Genghis Grill. Very rarely I will go to Moe's and have a "burrito" with good ingredients (chicken, black beans, brown rices, grilled peppers, grilled onions, grilled mushrooms, fresh jalapenos) but just simply toss the tortilla and top it with salsa from home (don't trust the salsa they have).

-Pizza - The fix for this are stuffed mushrooms. Simply grill a portabella mushroom and top it with pesto sauce, a little bit of mozzarella and a veggie.

-All processed crap - No cookies, cereal, doughnuts, etc.

-TV dinners - Haven't had a TV dinner in years ever since I started learning how to cook.

-Alcohol and soda - Currently learning how to brew my own root beer using raw honey instead of sugar.

-Deep-fried food - I now just fry chopped potatoes in olive oil. Taste just as good and a lot healthier.

-Ice cream - Replaced this with an avocado-based dark chocolate mint "ice cream" that I make myself. This is rare because it's a pain to make and clean up after, but it's pretty good.

-Candy - Replaced with fruit and dark chocolate with a little bit of natural peanut butter smeared on.

Edited by Elky
  • Like 1

I’m a believer in keto for toning.  Granted I’ve started taking my workouts more seriously since the first, but also doing a light keto thing and it’s been working really well.  Probably not even in ketosis because I’m still probably getting around 50 carbs a day, but just cutting out carbs and eating more meat has had a noticeable effect.  In less than a month.

10 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I’m a believer in keto for toning.  Granted I’ve started taking my workouts more seriously since the first, but also doing a light keto thing and it’s been working really well.  Probably not even in ketosis because I’m still probably getting around 50 carbs a day, but just cutting out carbs and eating more meat has had a noticeable effect.  In less than a month.

Completely agree.

I eat less, feel better, have more energy/less crashes, etc keeping things low carb.

Eating keto isn’t too hard for me, but not being able to drink delicious beer is where things get tricky.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Completely agree.

I eat less, feel better, have more energy/less crashes, etc keeping things low carb.

Eating keto isn’t too hard for me, but not being able to drink delicious beer is where things get tricky.

Yeah, beer and nachos are the hardest for me.  I've been drinking vodka with Zevia or carbonated water and it's just not the same. 

49 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Yeah, beer and nachos are the hardest for me.  I've been drinking vodka with Zevia or carbonated water and it's just not the same. 

Not at all the same.

Even cocktails like old fashioned are full of sugar.

The best keto cocktail I’ve found is a Paloma with diet squirt.  It’s not great, but it’s a decent change of pace.

On 1/30/2020 at 8:14 AM, braylon said:

I have messed around with some german body comp this past week and I definitely enjoyed it, but just feel a little lost in the details. I have only every done the traditional "monday - chest, tuesday - back/bis, etc." Would you say I target those same areas every time but attempt to change up some of the exercises? 

Anytime I've done it I do 2 workouts.

Monday-Day 1

Tuesday- Day 2

Wed- off

Thursday- Day 1

Friday- Day 2

like that

https://upfitness.com/working-out/workout-plans/best-workout-body-recomposition/

Here's a much better article from the best gym in the world for body composition results.

• Like 1