Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

9 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Eh. It has everything that we'd ever need and tons of machines. Biggest thing it had going for it was we can cancel whenever and 10 dollars a month since we'll be heading back to China at a moment's notice (when work opens back up).

I go to planet fitness too and it has (mostly) everything you need if you know what you're doing. I'm fine putting up with some idiots for $10/month. 

The only thing I hate is that they only have smith machines instead of squat racks but it's do able to work around that, and I have seen a few with racks/bench presses. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2020 at 7:25 AM, JonStark said:

The only thing I hate is that they only have smith machines instead of squat racks but it's do able to work around that, and I have seen a few with racks/bench presses. 

SAME.  I think think they do it because of potential liabilities as well as they're trying to invite everyone to workout there and the smith machine is perceived as more safe. 

Also, I've found my 1 RM on the bench to be 150, which is fairly solid for being 130 lbs. A few more months and I can finally start eating at a surplus again which should help immensely.

Note: we actually have a bench press that I use exclusively for Bench and Squat at my place of work (don't ask) so I use that for those two exercises, not the Smith Machine.

Edited by Danger

14 minutes ago, Danger said:

SAME.  I think think they do it because of potential liabilities as well as they're trying to invite everyone to workout there and the smith machine is perceived as more safe. 

Also, I've found my 1 RM on the bench to be 150, which is fairly solid for being 130 lbs. A few more months and I can finally start eating at a surplus again which should help immensely.

Note: we actually have a bench press that I use exclusively for Bench and Squat at my place of work (don't ask) so I use that for those two exercises, not the Smith Machine.

Yeah using the smith machines suck, but it's still worth it for me to only have to pay $10/month. Just gotta be creative, throw the hoodie up, and crank up the music to ignore everyone else. 

Sooo without sounding like a scumbag salesman I'm going to throw this out there....just got laid off from my gym (it's a good thing) so once things get back to normal I am going to be looking for online clients while I look for locations to train my clients.  And now I can advertise without getting fired.  If anyone is looking for help while doing their at home workouts, whether it's programs to follow, variations, nutrition, etc. feel free to message me I have nothing going on and don't mind helping. And then if coaching is something you are interested in when gyms open up then we can figure that out.

If you want to check out some before and afters I'm on IG @coach_kropp

Stay safe and don't lose the gains

I went to Home Depot and bought 50 lb deck blocks to use as plates for $6 each.  They fit perfectly on my yoke and log.  Also bought buckets to fill with water and concrete to make different weights and I have a Barbell coming in this week.  Just need to figure out bench and DBs.  I might buy a pipe and drill a hole into bricks and make my own haha

10 hours ago, Shady Slim said:

yeah how is everyone feeling needing to work out from home now?

strength training not a big change for me because i do that at home anyway but not being able to go outside for runs is a drag tbh

I've just been running (soon to be biking too) and doing pushups + dumbbell work. No issues other than the trails are packed. I've never seen this many people outside!

• Like 1

On 3/31/2020 at 11:12 PM, Shady Slim said:

yeah how is everyone feeling needing to work out from home now?

strength training not a big change for me because i do that at home anyway but not being able to go outside for runs is a drag tbh

Why can't you go outside for a run?