Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

Since the new year i've switched to morning workouts as going after I get off work around 6:30/7PM was getting old and I absolutely love it so far. Me and my gf have been hitting the gym at 6am and it was rough the first couple day but not almost two weeks in and I feel amazing. Basically wake up, grab an apple and a piece of PB toast w/ my shaker full of preworkout and hit it. Come home, grab a smoothie with greek yogurt, fruit, milk, protein powder, flaxseed and hide some veggies in there and I'm good till lunch. I have so much more energy during the day, pretty much stopped drinking coffee all together. 

morning workouts crew, checking in. im in there at 5:30am. been doing it for about 3 years now. feels good man. helps with sleep so much too. 

anyone else cutting right now? just getting done with week 2 and damnit i want one of those salted caramel giant cookies from papa johns. :|

already down a few pounds though and seeing it in my face and abdomen already. so we keep pressing onward.

45 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yep, I’m cutting and I swore off alcohol for January.

So essentially I’m a terrible human being to be around right now.

i'm not drinking right now either (more because of the calories part).  

awesome waking up/feel good, but miss the alcohol hardcore on friday and saturday nights

On 1/3/2018 at 1:18 PM, Chiefer said:

Started body weight exercises about a week ago. I'm trying to commit myself to it, I'm skinny so I'm trying to actively eat more and gain weight.

At about 130 now(im5'7) so i set a goal at about 165-170 for the end of the year. Me and the ex used to talk about it but now that were broken up I feel even more motivated now lol. 

if you want to gain 35 lbs in a year (its not going to be all muscle, 100% guaranteed.  like prob not even close.) you should also start squatting

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mistakey said:

if you want to gain 35 lbs in a year (its not going to be all muscle, 100% guaranteed.  like prob not even close.) you should also start squatting

This.

10-12 lbs of muscle in a year is crazy gains for a natural lifter.

A seasoned lifter with his nutrition, etc locked down would be lucky to add 5-8 lbs of muscle.

Squats, deadlifts, OHP, bench, row. Your programming should revolve around those compound movements.  Oly lifts are great too if you have someone to teach you CORRECT form. Pushups and pull-ups aren’t going to put mass on yer azz.

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

The guy didn't say anything about putting on 35 pounds of muscle.  He just said he wants to put on around that much weight.  It's definitely possible to put on 35 pounds and not look like it's 35 pounds of fat, especially at that weight. 

If all he wants to do is get fatter, I’m not sure why he’d post that in the weightlifting and exercise thread lol.

“Bout to start doin pushups and working on a beer gut, whatcha think bros?”

1 hour ago, IrishGreen said:

^what is the point in putting on fat? so you can say i weigh 170 pounds? who cares?

you're gonna put on a ton of fat putting on that much weight in that short of time, even factoring in noob gains and proper compound lifts.

just take your time and do it properly. 

Yes, to all of this.

• Like 1

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

If all he wants to do is get fatter, I’m not sure why he’d post that in the weightlifting and exercise thread lol.

“Bout to start doin pushups and working on a beer gut, whatcha think bros?”

I am literally proof that this is not the only option.  I went from 130 to 220 in two years and I was at 26% body fat.  Yes, I added a LOT of fat, but I also added a LOT of muscle, and I looked a hell of a lot better at 220 and 26% body fat than I did at 130 and like negative 2 percent body fat.  It took me another 2 years to get to about 200 and about 15-20% body fat, but at the time I'd rather look bigger with a little more fat than look tiny with less fat. 

18 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I am literally proof that this is not the only option.  I went from 130 to 220 in two years and I was at 26% body fat.  Yes, I added a LOT of fat, but I also added a LOT of muscle, and I looked a hell of a lot better at 220 and 26% body fat than I did at 130 and like negative 2 percent body fat.  It took me another 2 years to get to about 200 and about 15-20% body fat, but at the time I'd rather look bigger with a little more fat than look tiny with less fat. 

If you went from 130-220 in 24 months, most of it was fat. Like over half of it, and that’s being conservative. What’s the point of adding 45lbs of fat? 4-5, sure.  45? Lol.

If you think 200 and 15-20% fat is optimal, gain the weight over the full 4 years, instead of dirty bulking like a gym bro.

No one ever said it couldn’t be done (gaining the weight), we’re saying it isn’t going to be “mostly muscle” and there’s a better, healthier way to do it.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

If you went from 130-220 in 24 months, most of it was fat. Like over half of it, and that’s being conservative. What’s the point of adding 45lbs of fat? 4-5, sure.  45? Lol.

If you think 200 and 15-20% fat is optimal, gain the weight over the full 4 years, instead of dirty bulking like a gym bro.

No one ever said it couldn’t be done (gaining the weight), we’re saying it isn’t going to be “mostly muscle” and there’s a better, healthier way to do it.

If the dude wants to get bigger quicker, what's wrong with it?  I don't see the difference between gaining the weight in 1 year, then taking a year to burn off the fat instead of taking two years to get there slower.  As long as he's not eating like crappy ice cream and total junk food to get there, I don't see the harm in it. 

And yeah, it was a lot of fat when I did it, but I looked better and felt better about myself.  I think it's easier to lose weight than it is to gain weight.  I'm just speaking from my own personality and experience here, but before I did a crap bulk, working out never stuck.

I would start, I'd last for like three weeks, I'd get sick of my lack of progress and visible improvement, so I'd stop.  When I made a conscious decision to get bigger while working out, I could see the improvements much, much quicker, and that motivated me more because there was a real, tangible impact to what I was doing.  I didn't care about the fat.  I started this 9 years ago and if I didn't do it that way (gym bro bulking as you call it), I don't think I'd ever have kept up with it to get where I'm at now.

It's all about what they want.  If he wants to get bigger before he gets fitter, I don't see anything wrong with adding 35 pounds in a year.  It's not like 165 at 5-7 is wildly unhealthy even if it was all fat that he added.  It probably wouldn't even be classified as overweight, would it?  Just checked, it would mean he's overweight by about 5 pounds assuming he's a he that's 25. 

If he wasn't a beginner (as I assume he is), I'd definitely agree with you.  I'd agree 100%.  All I know is that doing what he's planning on doing is exactly what got me motivated to keep working out these past 9 years. 

• Like 1