Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

4 hours ago, mistakey said:

if you want to gain 35 lbs in a year (its not going to be all muscle, 100% guaranteed.  like prob not even close.) you should also start squatting

Oh that's definitely wrapped up in what I'm doing. Bought a book on bodyweight exercises by a special forces guy. He's got a whole program that I'm gonna follow

A friend of mine has a 24 hour free gym at the apartment complex he just moved into, invited me to it and it looks pretty legit. Might start hitting him up some days if we got the time.

Anybody know some snacks I can eat throughout the day to increase caloric intake? Something healthy and simple I can make at home?

Edited by Chiefer

6 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This.

10-12 lbs of muscle in a year is crazy gains for a natural lifter.

A seasoned lifter with his nutrition, etc locked down would be lucky to add 5-8 lbs of muscle.

Squats, deadlifts, OHP, bench, row. Your programming should revolve around those compound movements.  Oly lifts are great too if you have someone to teach you CORRECT form. Pushups and pull-ups aren’t going to put mass on yer azz.

IDK I put on 10 lbs since last Thanksgiving/Christmas and my body fat is down big time as well.  I look bigger and leaner.  In fact I dropped 7 lbs of fat and put on 7 lbs of muscle in two months (grain of salt, had two different people measure me) after improving some health issues.  

Squat, Deadlift, Clean, Pullup, Bench, OHP, Row even Dips.  Center your program around those and heavier lifting, not going after the pump, and a double progression model alternating between volume and intensity.  Volume 3-6 sets of 8-12 reps, intensity 3-6 sets of 6-8 reps.  Simple and surprisingly effective.  Once you can do all prescribed reps for the number of sets then you go up in weight.  Can do 2, 3 or 4 week periods.  When I first did a program like that I dropped 5 lbs and gained 25 lbs on my bench and 40 lbs on my squat in 6 weeks. But most people lift in the sarcoplasmic hypertrophy or muscle endurance range.  They aren't building bigger fibers.  And the other thing is people do as many things as possible for each body part.  You're better off sticking to a main lift for 5-8 sets instead of 3 sets of 4 different back exercises.

3 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Oh that's definitely wrapped up in what I'm doing. Bought a book on bodyweight exercises by a special forces guy. He's got a whole program that I'm gonna follow

A friend of mine has a 24 hour free gym at the apartment complex he just moved into, invited me to it and it looks pretty legit. Might start hitting him up some days if we got the time.

Anybody know some snacks I can eat throughout the day to increase caloric intake? Something healthy and simple I can make at home?

milk
+ peanut butter and jelly sandwich

for fat and carbs

protein -> yogurt, protein shakes

protein + fat -> nuts

6 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This.

10-12 lbs of muscle in a year is crazy gains for a natural lifter.

A seasoned lifter with his nutrition, etc locked down would be lucky to add 5-8 lbs of muscle.

Squats, deadlifts, OHP, bench, row. Your programming should revolve around those compound movements.  Oly lifts are great too if you have someone to teach you CORRECT form. Pushups and pull-ups aren’t going to put mass on yer azz.

weighted pull ups will sure as hell make you look like a cobra though which is dope

• Like 2

i mean if he's 5'7 130 and he wants to get bigger and he puts on 10 lbs of muscle with noob gains and 5x5 and 5 lbs of fat along the way cause bulking is fun... he'll fill out his clothes and maybe he'll like it

some people just hate bein skinny

i wouldnt recommend puttin on 20 lbs of fat tho

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mistakey said:

weighted pull ups will sure as hell make you look like a cobra though which is dope

Hell yeah and adds inches to your biceps.

What's everyone wearing for shoes these days?  My Metcon 2s are old and smelly, I wear my Chucks once in a while.  Was looking at either Romaleos 3 or Reebok Legacy Lifter.  Really just for Squats and Cleans, I'm usually barefoot for Deadlifts and I don't think anything else I do depends on shoes. I always liked how light the Metcons felt and how snug they were until a few months after they felt stretched out.  I think something with an elevated heel will really help with my squatting.

50 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

IDK I put on 10 lbs since last Thanksgiving/Christmas and my body fat is down big time as well.  I look bigger and leaner.  In fact I dropped 7 lbs of fat and put on 7 lbs of muscle in two months (grain of salt, had two different people measure me) after improving some health issues.  

No offense, but you definitely didn’t put on 7 lbs of muscle and drop 7 lbs of fat in 2 months (at the same time).  That’s an absurd claim unless you’re an absolute noob. Experienced lifters don’t make gains like that w/o gear. Go to the supermarket and take a look at what 7lbs of meat looks like and tell me you added that in 8 weeks.

And how are you measuring?

50 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Squat, Deadlift, Clean, Pullup, Bench, OHP, Row even Dips.  Center your program around those and heavier lifting, not going after the pump, and a double progression model alternating between volume and intensity.  Volume 3-6 sets of 8-12 reps, intensity 3-6 sets of 6-8 reps.  Simple and surprisingly effective.  Once you can do all prescribed reps for the number of sets then you go up in weight.  Can do 2, 3 or 4 week periods.  When I first did a program like that I dropped 5 lbs and gained 25 lbs on my bench and 40 lbs on my squat in 6 weeks. But most people lift in the sarcoplasmic hypertrophy or muscle endurance range.  They aren't building bigger fibers.  And the other thing is people do as many things as possible for each body part.  You're better off sticking to a main lift for 5-8 sets instead of 3 sets of 4 different back exercises.

Lifting for higher weight/lower reps vs hypertrophy will give you the gains you’ve described.  This past spring I went from 365-395 on my bench in 5 weeks in a coloric deficit by doing nothing more than focusing on strength/lower reps.  So I agree with what you’re saying in re: training. 

The downside here is heavier weights are rough as hell on your joints over time. 

45 minutes ago, mistakey said:

i mean if he's 5'7 130 and he wants to get bigger and he puts on 10 lbs of muscle with noob gains and 5x5 and 5 lbs of fat along the way cause bulking is fun... he'll fill out his clothes and maybe he'll like it

some people just hate bein skinny

i wouldnt recommend puttin on 20 lbs of fat tho

I get all of this and totally agree.

15 lbs in a year (10 muscle/5 fat) is a great goal.

Adding the same 10 pounds of muscle and 25 lbs of fat isn’t imo.  

And maybe @HorizontoZenith is an exception, but most folks don’t look better carrying 20 extra pounds of fat. I mean, when was the last time you heard someone say “Hey man, did you get fatter? You look great!”?  Not to mention the health issues related to gaining 25lbs of fat.

56 minutes ago, mistakey said:

milk
+ peanut butter and jelly sandwich

for fat and carbs

protein -> yogurt, protein shakes

protein + fat -> nuts

Great options.

Jerky is great for protein.

Hard boiled eggs are awesome. Protein and fat

Overnight oats are great for carbs (combine 40g oats, 40g raisins, 4oz of milk in some Tupperware and put in the fridge overnight. The natural sugars in the raisins and milk make the whole thing sweet, it’s delicious.)

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Great options.

Jerky is great for protein.

Hard boiled eggs are awesome. Protein and fat

Overnight oats are great for carbs (combine 40g oats, 40g raisins, 4oz of milk in some Tupperware and put in the fridge overnight. The natural sugars in the raisins and milk make the whole thing sweet, it’s delicious.)

Can’t believe I forgot about jerky and eggs 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

No offense, but you definitely didn’t put on 7 lbs of muscle and drop 7 lbs of fat in 2 months (at the same time).  That’s an absurd claim unless you’re an absolute noob. Experienced lifters don’t make gains like that w/o gear. Go to the supermarket and take a look at what 7lbs of meat looks like and tell me you added that in 8 weeks.

And how are you measuring?

I use 14 sites on the body with a skin fold caliper.  I plug the mm measurements into software and it gives me numbers.  I had a lot of fat on my legs that I got rid of by improving my estrogen and decreasing aromatization.  Thus keeping T levels high and optimizing my hormones.  It is completely possible especially when fixing gut health and digestion issues.  From pooping more I was getting rid of toxins/estrogens that get stored in fat, and by improving liver enzymes my body was able to detox more and get rid of these toxins so they can get pooped out.  Started taking quality magnesium and getting better sleep which will help with growth hormone.  Fixing digestion helped me absorb more protein and nutrients.  It's not what you eat it's what you absorb.  I'm about to do a 21 day gut rebuilding protocol to rebuild my gut lining, rebuild my digestive enzymes and repopulate my gut with good bacteria.  I've heard stories of pro athletes who get rid of foods they are intolerant too and don't change anything calorically and drop fat fast.  

https://tim.blog/2013/05/11/how-to-gain-20-pounds-in-28-days-the-extreme-muscle-building-secrets-of-ufc-fighters/

The leading nutritionist in the game Dr. John Berardi works along with Martin Rooney to train UFC fighters and they have done drastic things.