Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

Just now, Heimdallr said:

I'm sure it isn't as popular in the Twin Cities or down south, but up in northern Minnesota where 80% of people are 2nd/3rd generation Scandinavian, yeah. Part of the culture.

Both houses I lived in growing up had them. Most of my friends had a sauna either at their house or their cabin. 3/5 of my girlfriends in high school had saunas in their house. 

That’s wild, I had no idea.

I don’t know if I’ve ever met anyone who has one...  Sounds awesome though.

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t know if I’ve ever met anyone who has one...  Sounds awesome though.

I've never met someone who has one in their home, but they aren't the most expensive things to put in a house:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/JNH-Lifestyles-Joyous-2-Person-Far-Infrared-Sauna-MG215HB/206474726?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|DigitalDecor|google|D29B+Fixtures|_pkw__pmt__product_206474726&mid=sm9ygTVIQ|dc_mtid_8903yuu57254_pcrid_50344077222_pkw__pmt__product_206474726_slid_&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_8WT2Kz-2AIVx1x-Ch1mGg4sEAQYBCABEgKja_D_BwE

2-4k would easily cover it.

30 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

The guesthouse we stayed in while in Russia had a banya. Seems like it'd be something cheaper to build. 

My lower back still hurts from deadlifting a month ago. I also seem to aggravate it the morning after squatting. Any suggestions? I'll go through a week of stretching, it feeling better, then squatting, and it hurts again and I'll have a hard time moving around.

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

My lower back still hurts from deadlifting a month ago. I also seem to aggravate it the morning after squatting. Any suggestions? I'll go through a week of stretching, it feeling better, then squatting, and it hurts again and I'll have a hard time moving around.

Stop deadlifting and squatting for a while.

We ain’t kids and we aren’t getting ready for the Super Bowl. 

Start doing sprints, pull-ups, single arm rows, etc, things that don’t stress your back.

Ice and NSAID’s can help short term.

6 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Stop deadlifting and squatting for a while.

We ain’t kids and we aren’t getting ready for the Super Bowl. 

Start doing sprints, pull-ups, single arm rows, etc, things that don’t stress your back.

Ice and NSAID’s can help short term.

I'll skip squat day today then. Probably for the best unfortunately. Any recommendations for legs then that won't stress the lower back? Our WR is entirely free weights, no machines. All I do is Olympic lift with a few free weight auxiliary lifts.

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'll skip squat day today then. Probably for the best unfortunately. Any recommendations for legs then that won't stress the lower back? Our WR is entirely free weights, no machines. All I do is Olympic lift with a few free weight auxiliary lifts.

If you’re back is goofed, focus on stretching, especially your hamstrings and glutes.

Leg extension/curl is low stress, don’t know if you have access to the machines.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

If you’re back is goofed, focus on stretching, especially your hamstrings and glutes.

Leg extension/curl is low stress, don’t know if you have access to the machines.

No, but I'll figure it out, thanks.

It's disappointing. I'm 31 and my strength numbers haven't been this high since college. This will put a damper on that, but such is life. I'd rather walk and run without pain, which I'm struggling to do right now, especially in the mornings. Holding my two kids non-stop isn't helping, but that's worth the pain.

Well, I broke down and went to our school's training room yesterday, and they stretched me/did some other evaluations and my hip was completely out. After they stretched me/I used my own body weight to resist them, it slid/popped back in. I feel like a new person, although last night I was living off of ibuprofin. No squatting/deads for a week, but that's not as bad as I thought it would be.

• Like 1

Thinking about going onto a super clean diet, but I really can't stand any meat when its in anything close to a plain state (plain chicken, etc).  I really hate the taste of almost all meats when they're plain, and i hate chicken even when it's breaded or highly seasoned/prepared.  I want to significantly cut down on my fat, carbs and sodium intake while maintaining my protein intake.  Any recommendations on ways to prepare chicken/tuna/turkey/fish/beef that makes them edible while not loaded with sodium or fat or carbs?  Fish is easy and I just drown it in lemon and a little pepper, but I don't want to eat fish every day.

Also, preparation advice too, please.  Whenever I get chicken breast I feel like I have to scorch it and cut it down to nothing because if I bite into one of those chewie, sinewy pieces, I'm liable to throw up. 

12 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Thinking about going onto a super clean diet, but I really can't stand any meat when its in anything close to a plain state (plain chicken, etc).  I really hate the taste of almost all meats when they're plain, and i hate chicken even when it's breaded or highly seasoned/prepared.  I want to significantly cut down on my fat, carbs and sodium intake while maintaining my protein intake.  Any recommendations on ways to prepare chicken/tuna/turkey/fish/beef that makes them edible while not loaded with sodium or fat or carbs?  Fish is easy and I just drown it in lemon and a little pepper, but I don't want to eat fish every day.

Also, preparation advice too, please.  Whenever I get chicken breast I feel like I have to scorch it and cut it down to nothing because if I bite into one of those chewie, sinewy pieces, I'm liable to throw up. 

Extra lean ground beef can be added to salads?

I don’t worry as much about salt though, drink enough fluids and pee it off.