Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

42 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

Need advice from people who are more knowledgeable than I.

If I were to personal train for a side gig, should I get “ certified”? 

The only thing I would worry about is liability, but wouldn’t a simple statement saying that I assume 0 liability protect me?

As long as you don't lie to potential clients and claim to have certification or expertise beyond personal experience, I don't see the problem. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

Need advice from people who are more knowledgeable than I.

If I were to personal train for a side gig, should I get “ certified”? 

The only thing I would worry about is liability, but wouldn’t a simple statement saying that I assume 0 liability protect me?

You aren't going to be liable for their injuries. Every gym I have gone to has waivers stating that the members use the equipment/facilities at their own risk.

I would look at a certification, absolutely. Some are cheap and worth getting if you're not looking to make a career out of it. Most people couldn't tell you the difference between NSCA, NASM, ACSM,(some of the serious ones that are much harder to get) or NFPT, ACT or other online ones.

If nothing else it gives you references of their recommendations for rep ranges, set totals, etc and gives you something to add behind your name. Like Skywind said, just don't BS people.

Edited by Sugashane
  • Like 1

On 7/19/2018 at 1:54 PM, pollino14 said:

Thanks a lot guys. Like I said, I’m looking to be extremely ‘casual’ nothing too hardcore. Just average people looking to lose weight. I’ll def look to get certified, but I will look at something that’s cost efficient.

If you are going to be providing consultation for others and collecting fees for that, you owe it to those potential clients to get a higher quality certification.  Going the cheap and lesser quality route indicates to me that you are doing it for the money and not to provide a high quality service for people.

Sure there are easier online, quick certifications available.   They are also the ones that people that are serious about their profession have issues with.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, squire12 said:

If you are going to be providing consultation for others and collecting fees for that, you owe it to those potential clients to get a higher quality certification.  Going the cheap and lesser quality route indicates to me that you are doing it for the money and not to provide a high quality service for people.

Sure there are easier online, quick certifications available.   They are also the ones that people that are serious about their profession have issues with.

I really don’t get how people come up with assumptions like this with a lack of information, truly hilarious. Hope you don’t do that in real life, but my guess is that you do.

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:24 AM, squire12 said:

Agreed, not saying pollino won't provide a good service but anyone who has told me they want the cheapest/easiest cert ends up doing this for a very short period of time or very poorly.

@pollino14 where do you have access to train people? if you are going to someone's house that's one thing (but would need some kind of waiver, that may not even cover everything) but if you are training at a gym you need a cert.

I rent space on Mondays from a physical therapist and I had to buy my own insurance, $150 for the year in NY, and my clients have to sign his waivers.  

30 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Agreed, not saying pollino won't provide a good service but anyone who has told me they want the cheapest/easiest cert ends up doing this for a very short period of time or very poorly.

@pollino14 where do you have access to train people? if you are going to someone's house that's one thing (but would need some kind of waiver, that may not even cover everything) but if you are training at a gym you need a cert.

I rent space on Mondays from a physical therapist and I had to buy my own insurance, $150 for the year in NY, and my clients have to sign his waivers.  

Word to the wise; just because you don’t have “ official certification” doesn’t mean you don’t know how to do something or you wouldn’t do something at a quality level. In many cases it’s just a formality, don’t know why I have to explain that; and if you look in your own life, I’m sure you’ll find people who do something well without a certification and someone who isn’t so good with one. There’s more to things than just earning a piece of paper.

54 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

Word to the wise; just because you don’t have “ official certification” doesn’t mean you don’t know how to do something or you wouldn’t do something at a quality level. In many cases it’s just a formality, don’t know why I have to explain that; and if you look in your own life, I’m sure you’ll find people who do something well without a certification and someone who isn’t so good with one. There’s more to things than just earning a piece of paper.

It’s true that you don’t need to be a doctor to give out medical advice. Nor do you need to be an attorney to give out legal advice. But it’s probably a good idea to get the certification if that’s your plan.

The point isn’t that you can’t know stuff without certifications; the point is, if this is something you intend to do seriously, why wouldn’t you get the relevant and appropriate certifications (particularly if doing so wouldn’t be all that onerous).

On 7/21/2018 at 7:38 AM, pollino14 said:

I really don’t get how people come up with assumptions like this with a lack of information, truly hilarious. Hope you don’t do that in real life, but my guess is that you do.

Sorry to have struck a nerve with you on this.  

Having been in and around the personal fitness/personal training industry for 20 years, I have seen my fair share of people looking to do this as a "side gig" that went the quick and cheap route and did not know much of anything around the research and science of health and fitness.  

There are reasons why some certifications are more respected than others.  Choose to get (or not get ) a particular certification, but realize that the choice you make will influence how you are viewed by those within the industry.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, squire12 said:

Sorry to have struck a nerve with you on this.  

Having been in and around the personal fitness/personal training industry for 20 years, I have seen my fair share of people looking to do this as a "side gig" that went the quick and cheap route and did not know much of anything around the research and science of health and fitness.  

There are reasons why some certifications are more respected than others.  Choose to get (or not get ) a particular certification, but realize that the choice you make will influence how you are viewed by those within the industry.

Thanks. I think I’m going with ISSA, seems to be what I’m looking for.

I'm currently having some neck issues and a physical therapist told me that my upper back is (I can't remember verbatim) un-proportional to my lower. It was suggested that I focus on my lower back and it might help some. This won't fix my issue but it could assist.

So, other than doing low rows, what do you all suggest for exercises? The ones that were suggested by the physical therapist, which I'll follow, were all low/body weight exercises. I asked about weight lifting and they said it shouldn't be an issue. On top of that, should I stop upper back work or just not go up in weight? Thoughts?

40 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I'm currently having some neck issues and a physical therapist told me that my upper back is (I can't remember verbatim) un-proportional to my lower. It was suggested that I focus on my lower back and it might help some. This won't fix my issue but it could assist.

So, other than doing low rows, what do you all suggest for exercises? The ones that were suggested by the physical therapist, which I'll follow, were all low/body weight exercises. I asked about weight lifting and they said it shouldn't be an issue. On top of that, should I stop upper back work or just not go up in weight? Thoughts?

Wonderful for low back and glutes.

For light lifts use good mornings with elastic bands or cables. Supermans on the floor for timed periods.

For imbalances you can either lower the weight and volume, but I'd look away from not training the upper back. It does keep your shoulders back and posture solid, so I would at least do maintenance work with it.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

@Sugashane that is 10/10 trolling.

thank-you-try-troll-me-8918961.png

Real pull-throughs are actually great. But the video there makes me laugh, a lot. He tries not to make eye contact with the camera at the beginning.

Here are real pull-throughs. They are sworn by from guys from Westside Barbell, EliteFTS lifters, and other powerlifting monsters.

And @kingseanjohn I actually mean the rest of the post. IDK how major of an imbalance you have so if it is severe you don't want to neglect the upper back entirely. If training them doesn't exacerbate the problem then working it is fine, just don't push too hard or you might not reduce that imbalance as easily.

https://www.elitefts.com/education/novice/friday-technique-video-the-pull-through/

Edited by Sugashane
  • Like 1