Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

Son's first football practice was yesterday. 1st-3rd graders.

Only like 3 (counting my boy) could do a push up. Seeing kids not able to do a bear crawl for the obstacle course (fun way to end a practice actually) and faceplanting, with helmets on of course, was hilarious. Cracked up seeing most of them falling over their own feet during the backwards run, etc. While it was all in good fun, I was kinda shocked to see how inactive most of the kids onbiously were.

My 6 year old daughter was doing pushups on the side of the field FFS. This is the girl that will get one of her pageant tiaras on and want to wear it like a normal hat all day.

If you have kids, get them doing something guys. I'm not saying it has to be militaristic and strict or anything. But just little obstacle courses are fun for them. The first time through, add 8 seconds to what they did. Then the next time only add 4. Then give them their real time from then on, etc. Builds a little confidence and lets them see how it feels to have a little progression.

I am really excited to just be an assistant coach though. Since they included 3rd graders in the new league there was a guy who will be coaching his 2nd son and has been doing it for 5 straight years, and he asked if he could finish his time as HC. I'll be taking over as HC for next years group since his boy will be moving on but it is nice to get to step back and just help for once.

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

If you have kids, get them doing something guys. I'm not saying it has to be militaristic and strict or anything. But just little obstacle courses are fun for them. The first time through, add 8 seconds to what they did. Then the next time only add 4. Then give them their real time from then on, etc. Builds a little confidence and lets them see how it feels to have a little progression.

Ran out of footballs, so here's an IOU for one. My son's autistic, so traditional sports such as soccer and baseball poses challenges for him, but we have him in gymnastics and going to enroll him in martial arts this year - it makes such a difference, for both typical and atypical kids (I've argued that it's incredibly important for autistic kids to experience things like this, simply for the social cues and outside engagement).

As soon as your kids are old enough, get 'em moving. I'm seeing so many kids just hooked to tablets and games - I'm guilty, I sometimes hand my kids a tablet when I've had a day at work and need to veg out a bit. Supplement this by getting em active, somehow. 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Ran out of footballs, so here's an IOU for one. My son's autistic, so traditional sports such as soccer and baseball poses challenges for him, but we have him in gymnastics and going to enroll him in martial arts this year - it makes such a difference, for both typical and atypical kids (I've argued that it's incredibly important for autistic kids to experience things like this, simply for the social cues and outside engagement).

As soon as your kids are old enough, get 'em moving. I'm seeing so many kids just hooked to tablets and games - I'm guilty, I sometimes hand my kids a tablet when I've had a day at work and need to veg out a bit. Supplement this by getting em active, somehow. 

I agree completely. My daughter's dance school has a hip-hop class mostly filled with boys and then boys are allowed to do any of the others. There is a little boy with autism that does tap and tumbling, and they were talking about how much he enjoyed it and how it has helped him branch out. My son and another kid have ADHD and are in BJJ, and two kids are going to get tested for ADHD on the football team since they have seen how well my son has been doing since we got his meds and learned how to adapt to get things through for him. Their parents only heard of the dramatic outskirt stories, kids either zombied out or the meds making the kids go nuts because it didn't mesh with their system. My son went from damn near needing a leash to being a big help in keeping the other kids focused on the task (usually, he is still a kid  lol).

Kids need activity, they need interaction. There is nothing wrong with a while in a game or tablet, hell computers have made crazy advancements since I was little and hardly anyone had internet. The next 20 years probably will see a similar spike as well. But getting the kids active and teaching them to meet people are basic skills that are harder to learn as teens and adults. Starting off as a shy, antisocial obese kid makes life a hell of a lot harder later on. Kids are f***ing mean. A little activity can help prevent that to some degree.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have advice for tendinitis? 

The tendons above and below my elbow are in really rough shape from climbing, biking, lifting and curling, and the pain is so bad I really haven't been able to do anything in over a week. Yesterday I woke up at 4 AM because the pain was so bad, and I didn't even do anything that day.

I've been just resting and upping protein intake, but the recovery is just so slow.

3 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Anyone have advice for tendinitis? 

The tendons above and below my elbow are in really rough shape from climbing, biking, lifting and curling, and the pain is so bad I really haven't been able to do anything in over a week. Yesterday I woke up at 4 AM because the pain was so bad, and I didn't even do anything that day.

I've been just resting and upping protein intake, but the recovery is just so slow.

Rest, ice, NSAIDS, light massage/stretching.

That’s about it.

This is going to sound weird/dumb but I’m kinda disappointed im losing a lot of weight just from work. I’m putting in 12+ hour days where I walk upwards of 15 miles in a day and I’m definitely not eating as much as I used to and the pounds are falling off. Idk why it’s disappointing lol. Just kinda envisioned it being from going to a gym and not from working a super physical job. 

14 hours ago, Tyty said:

This is going to sound weird/dumb but I’m kinda disappointed im losing a lot of weight just from work. I’m putting in 12+ hour days where I walk upwards of 15 miles in a day and I’m definitely not eating as much as I used to and the pounds are falling off. Idk why it’s disappointing lol. Just kinda envisioned it being from going to a gym and not from working a super physical job. 

Seems anticlimactic, I know. I lose about 10 pounds every summer from being outside all day and decreased appetite. I gain it back in the winter while inside more and bulking. Lower kcals and increased activity equals weightloss (generally at least, before someone corrects me on people with medications or medical issues).

At least you're getting paid to lose weight though, right? Most people shell out money to have help to do it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

Anyone know if KT tape is actually effective? 

The aggregate of studies hasn't shown much effects, but there aren't any negative effects. People who use it and say it helps them, there's no reason for them to not use it.

Just now, rcon14 said:

The aggregate of studies hasn't shown much effects, but there aren't any negative effects. People who use it and say it helps them, there's no reason for them to not use it.

I’ve never tied it, so I have no skin I’m the game, but most people think whatever they purchase helps them.  No one wants to admit they’ve been had by a snake oil salesmen.

Just something to keep in mind.

That said, no harm in trying it.

On 8/17/2018 at 3:05 PM, rcon14 said:

On 8/17/2018 at 3:07 PM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’ve never tied it, so I have no skin I’m the game, but most people think whatever they purchase helps them.  No one wants to admit they’ve been had by a snake oil salesmen.

Just something to keep in mind.

That said, no harm in trying it.

Yea, I had ankle surgery and was having serious calf cramps until I started using the RockTape more regularly. Not just in my head. Not for everyone maybe, but it can definitely be a big help for different situations.