Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

3 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Yeah, it was only a few years before I got to this weight. Been at it for about a year and a half now actually so it's probably even quicker than you were thinking. I still eat plenty but just not as drastic of amounts and of course I drank way too much pop whereas now it's literally just protein/health shakes, water, or beer/liquor. That probably did 30 or so pounds give or take alone I'd imagine.

I played some intramural flag football a couple years ago. Play some pick up basketball once in a while. Wouldn't mind picking up tennis tbh. What are some good options/things I could do without weight lifting? Just curious, as I may get back into it but would still be nice to know what other options there are.

Goals? A little muscle gain? Overall strength / cardio health? Pure looks?

3 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Goals? A little muscle gain? Overall strength / cardio health? Pure looks?

Yeah, I'd like to add a bit of muscle. Not trying to get big but I think I could use a little bit. Obviously when you weigh 260 pounds at one time and drop over 100 pounds you have a little bit of extra skin in a few places (as you pointed out) so you are bit self conscious so looks are obviously something I think about at times. Cardio health is a plus.

Am 6'2" and dropped from 315 to 200ish.

Most of my loose skin came from under my arms and somewhat in the stomach area. Also in the hips.

Like everyone is saying muscle gain is a great way to hide/get rid of it. For me my arms will never really be toned. But I'll always look thicc. Same for the stomach/hips. They're not modelesque 8 pack with the riblets. But it's far better than a keg.

Besides all that matters is that you're healthy. Aesthetics would be a plus. But no one (girls) are gonna care about some loose skin. Atleast in my situation they haven't. And if they do, they're likely not someone you want to see anyways.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Gmen4ev said:

Am 6'2" and dropped from 315 to 200ish.

Most of my loose skin came from under my arms and somewhat in the stomach area. Also in the hips.

Like everyone is saying muscle gain is a great way to hide/get rid of it. For me my arms will never really be toned. But I'll always look thicc. Same for the stomach/hips. They're not modelesque 8 pack with the riblets. But it's far better than a keg.

Besides all that matters is that you're healthy. Aesthetics would be a plus. But no one (girls) are gonna care about some loose skin. Atleast in my situation they haven't. And if they do, they're likely not someone you want to see anyways.

Congrats man.

Also, that is true on the being healthy/in all reality loose skin isn't a big deal. Guess I just would prefer to get a bit more toned in some areas to feel a bit better about it but in all reality it's not the end of the world.

7 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Congrats man.

Also, that is true on the being healthy/in all reality loose skin isn't a big deal. Guess I just would prefer to get a bit more toned in some areas to feel a bit better about it but in all reality it's not the end of the world.

No I totally hear you. I'm trying to add muscle now just to fill out some of my loose skin.

For Pecs I'd recommend chest exercises. Bench press and dumbbell press are mostly what I do and can feel my chest filling out/not having loose moobs anymore.

Lower belly there isn't much other than a strict diet of good/clean food. You could use the weighted situp machine(not sure what its called) to add muscle, as well as doing curls/situps for definition. But realistically unless you're looking to put on a massive amount of muscle there will always be some loose skin down there. But nothing to worry about if everything else is toned.

For Upper arms I'd suggest doing a rope straight-arm pulldown, this will help fill out your triceps. These are likely the most important workout you could do if you wanted to fill out the loose skin under your arms. As far as filling out the rest I'd suggest doing curls/other weighted exercises that target the biceps.

Also congrats to you my man.

Edited by Gmen4ev
I'm dumb

12 minutes ago, Gmen4ev said:

No I totally hear you. I'm trying to add muscle now just to fill out some of my loose skin.

For Pecs I'd recommend chest exercises. Bench press and dumbbell press are mostly what I do and can feel my chest filling out/not having loose moobs anymore.

Lower belly there isn't much other than a strict diet of good/clean food. You could use the weighted situp machine(not sure what its called) to add muscle, as well as doing curls/situps for definition. But realistically unless you're looking to put on a massive amount of muscle there will always be some loose skin down there. But nothing to worry about if everything else is toned.

For Upper arms I'd suggest doing a rope straight-arm pulldown, this will help fill out your triceps. These are likely the most important workout you could do if you wanted to fill out the loose skin under your arms. As far as filling out the rest I'd suggest doing curls/other weighted exercises that target the biceps.

Also congrats to you my man.

Thanks definitely helps. Definitely not looking to put on massive muscle, just get more toned/put on some muscle as you mentioned.

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

Yeah, I'd like to add a bit of muscle. Not trying to get big but I think I could use a little bit. Obviously when you weigh 260 pounds at one time and drop over 100 pounds you have a little bit of extra skin in a few places (as you pointed out) so you are bit self conscious so looks are obviously something I think about at times. Cardio health is a plus.

Most people would probably recommend a basic workout like upper/lower split, push-pull-legs, or a normal 5x5. Basically anything that has you doing mostly compound exercises with a short-term focus on gradually increasing weight over time. There are a lot of options out there, and it kind of depends how often you want to go to the gym.

2 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Most people would probably recommend a basic workout like upper/lower split, push-pull-legs, or a normal 5x5. Basically anything that has you doing mostly compound exercises with a short-term focus on gradually increasing weight over time. There are a lot of options out there, and it kind of depends how often you want to go to the gym.

Probably would just do it 3 days a week. Just gotta get the motivation to stick to a schedule and go in 3 days a week is the thing if I go gym route.

Just now, cddolphin said:

2-3 days per week is plenty considering you already do cardio.

Got ya. So if I did 3 days I'd just do upper body/lower body/upper body (vice versa follow week) OR upper body/lower body (vice versa following week if I did 2 days then I presume?

If you're going to do 3/7 days I'd suggest giving yourself a break inbetween days.

So Monday Wednesday and Friday with Tuesday Thursday Saturday and Sunday off. 

I usually go Monday and Tuesday off Wednesday and then back for Thursday and Friday.

Gives me a midweek break as well as having the weekend to relax.

24 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Got ya. So if I did 3 days I'd just do upper body/lower body/upper body (vice versa follow week) OR upper body/lower body (vice versa following week if I did 2 days then I presume?

That's one way to go.

Just make sure you're doing compound movements mostly, leave the fluff out of it. Compound exercises are any that involve multiple joints, such as the bench press suggested above (for example, only bench press would be better than only tricep extensions). They are superior because

1. they work multiple body parts at the same time leading to a balanced physique
  2. you can use heavier weight, which stimulates your central nervous system more so, which has numerous tangible benefits
  3. they are more efficient, meaning less time spent in the gym

Any good program will be organized around maybe 5 or so major exercises: the bench press, the squat, the deadlift, rows (or pullups), and an overhead press.

If you think about it, those exercises cover every basic human motion. Push upwards. Push forwards. Pull backwards. Pull upwards.

If you are not familiar or experienced with some of these exercises, like a good squat or bench press, hire a PT for 1 or 2 sessions to show you the correct form. You can also learn on your own to a certain degree. Don't let your ego determine the weights you start with.

I only go 2-3 times per week and I keep it very simple. I spend maybe 90 minutes in the gym and alternate between two workouts. Sometimes I slightly alter the amount of sets and reps to mix it up. As long as you keep the weight relatively high and the reps relatively low, you'll get good work in.

workout A

• back squat 5x5 (or 4x6)
  • bench press 5x5 (or 6x4)
  • bent-over rows 5x5
  • chinups 3xFailure

workout B

• deadlift 2x5
  • front squat 5x5
  • over head press 5x5
  • pullups 3xFailure

Pretty barebones but that's how I like it. Short, sweet, efficient. Sometimes I'll do random accessories for fun.

Edited by cddolphin

2 hours ago, cddolphin said:

That's one way to go.

Just make sure you're doing compound movements mostly, leave the fluff out of it. Compound exercises are any that involve multiple joints, such as the bench press suggested above (for example, only bench press would be better than only tricep extensions). They are superior because

1. they work multiple body parts at the same time leading to a balanced physique
  2. you can use heavier weight, which stimulates your central nervous system more so, which has numerous tangible benefits
  3. they are more efficient, meaning less time spent in the gym

Any good program will be organized around maybe 5 or so major exercises: the bench press, the squat, the deadlift, rows (or pullups), and an overhead press.

If you think about it, those exercises cover every basic human motion. Push upwards. Push forwards. Pull backwards. Pull upwards.

If you are not familiar or experienced with some of these exercises, like a good squat or bench press, hire a PT for 1 or 2 sessions to show you the correct form. You can also learn on your own to a certain degree. Don't let your ego determine the weights you start with.

I only go 2-3 times per week and I keep it very simple. I spend maybe 90 minutes in the gym and alternate between two workouts. Sometimes I slightly alter the amount of sets and reps to mix it up. As long as you keep the weight relatively high and the reps relatively low, you'll get good work in.

workout A

• back squat 5x5 (or 4x6)
  • bench press 5x5 (or 6x4)
  • bent-over rows 5x5
  • chinups 3xFailure

workout B

• deadlift 2x5
  • front squat 5x5
  • over head press 5x5
  • pullups 3xFailure

Pretty barebones but that's how I like it. Short, sweet, efficient. Sometimes I'll do random accessories for fun.

Alright. Appreciate the help. Was there any sports that would help to maybe pick up?

22 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Alright. Appreciate the help. Was there any sports that would help to maybe pick up?

Something you enjoy that will keep you active and working out. When it comes to exercise, especially when you're older, doing what keeps you engaged and enjoying your time spent doing it is like 90% of it.