Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

Just getting back into working out after taking about a month off while changing gyms and changing jobs (and looking for jobs), I feel like I haven't lost a ton of strength, however stamina and how sore I get after working out both need to be improved upon.

Posted this on the old forum but curious if anyone uses an app called Jefit.  Keeps track of workouts and lets you post measurements and photos.  

Also switched to IF to help out with my weight loss, primarily with managing macros right now.  Being 6'2" 260, looking to lose about 40-45 pounds, started at about 270 as of 2 weeks ago and have been lifting 4-5 days.  Been doing a push/pull/leg split with an extra day of cardio in there if needed.  I try to end every lift session with about 10-15 HIIT either on the bike or elliptical, had knee surgery 2 months ago so treadmill or track is out of the question right now.  

I'd love some food advice. I generally eat pretty good, chicken or ground turkey every night pretty much, but one area I need to improve is what snacks I'm eating. My weight is fine, so I've never really been compelled to move away from the chips/PB crackers I throw in my lunches, but I figure I should move towards better habits anyways. What are some good alternatives that ideally are fairly cheap?

3 hours ago, ninerfanwheelz said:

I'd love some food advice. I generally eat pretty good, chicken or ground turkey every night pretty much, but one area I need to improve is what snacks I'm eating. My weight is fine, so I've never really been compelled to move away from the chips/PB crackers I throw in my lunches, but I figure I should move towards better habits anyways. What are some good alternatives that ideally are fairly cheap?

Raw almonds---I buy them in bulk and they're dirt cheap and then I seperate them into the small ziplock bags and keep them in my backpack, car, etc. they don't go bad and they don't melt. A go to for me. 

Cheese Sticks---not the best but they're cheap. 

Protein Pancakes (Kodiak Cakes)---from Costco, whole wheat protein pancakes, ill cook a bunch and then put them in the fridge. They pretty good, just eat one or two when I'm feeling snacks between meals. 

Apples/Bananas/Madarins

Bell Peppers---Costco has bags of the smaller assorted colored sweet ones, good and crunchy  

"Protein Balls"---basically in a big bowl I'll mix oats, peanut butter, honey, flaxseed, sunflower seeds, some chocolate chips and then ball them up and let them sit in the fridge. They fill me up and you can add whatever you want to them like dried cranberrys, shredded coconut, etc  

Also, I'm gonna be taking my Personal Training cert. in the next few months through ACSM to supplement me while I'm in Physical Therapy school. Any tips or as anyone taking the certification and can offer some advice or areas to really study? I know they test are different each time but the concepts are the same. Thanks!

4 hours ago, ninerfanwheelz said:

Nuts and seeds.  Buy roasted and salted. Raw is not the way to go, 

Raw seeds and nuts have phytic acids which bind to nutrients and make them impossible for the body to process them @CaliforniaKid7 so unless they are roasted or germinated to break down those phytic acids they will just go right through your body with out giving you any nutrients from it. 

Salted is the way to go cause you'll eat more, they taste better. 160 mg-200 mg of salt a serving is more then fine. You need salt to, i dont get shying away from it. 

Also protein powder is very handy. Throw a few scoop in a half gallon of milk or a a scoop in a quart of milk and your good to go. 

Fruit to, apples, apricots, bananas , etc are good options, maybe pack them with some peanut butter and get a few scoops of peanut butter and a apple. 

Yogurt to is great. 

3 hours ago, MrDrew said:

Anybody here using/have used P90X3? I'm curious to how good of a workout it is. Had to drop the gym membership, and I'm looking for something that I can get done quick because I have no free time. 

I did the original P90X way back when. While it's not ideal, it's a solid workout if you just want to stay in shape. You're not going to be building much muscle or strength on it. It'll mostly improve your endurance and get you a bit leaner (assuming you diet right). The original workouts we're typically around 40-60 minutes long. 

14 minutes ago, sunnygsm said:

I did the original P90X way back when. While it's not ideal, it's a solid workout if you just want to stay in shape. You're not going to be building much muscle or strength on it. It'll mostly improve your endurance and get you a bit leaner (assuming you diet right). The original workouts we're typically around 40-60 minutes long. 

I agree with this sentiment. P90X gets a lot of flack, but it's good for what it's good for. I was severely overweight when I first started it, and it really helped kick me in to shape (and helped develop a love of yoga). It's what really helped get me going, and even now, when my diet and nutrition and workouts turn to crap, I go back to it to get me used to a routine. 

That being said, I have p90x3 as well, and I'm sort of meh on it. If you're on a time crunch, it's fine, but truthfully, after doing a lot of the videos I hardly felt like it was a workout (that may be because I've gotten so used to doing 60 minute insanity work outs and 60 -75 minute weight lifting sessions (x3 vids are all 30 minutes). I Think it's good if you just want to do a little bit of something, but aren't too worried about anything specific. Its good to have a routine. If you're looking for cardio, I'd stick with the shorter insanity vids. I think it's a much bigger heart rate blast. If you're looking for weight lifting, I'd probably do my own routine with home gym stuff and just do as much as you can. The nice thing about x3 though is that there's a greater range of videos, so that is nice. You can change it up a decent amount. Itll cover all the very basics and if you're eating right and doing everything as you should, but I don't think you're going to see a dramatic improvement. 

Side note - Pilates in p90x3 is like the hardest video ever. I thought that was going to be a joke when I started because I had gotten so much into yoga over the past few years. Not the case lol. I struggle mightily on that. 

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

I agree with this sentiment. P90X gets a lot of flack, but it's good for what it's good for. I was severely overweight when I first started it, and it really helped kick me in to shape (and helped develop a love of yoga). It's what really helped get me going, and even now, when my diet and nutrition and workouts turn to crap, I go back to it to get me used to a routine. 

That being said, I have p90x3 as well, and I'm sort of meh on it. If you're on a time crunch, it's fine, but truthfully, after doing a lot of the videos I hardly felt like it was a workout (that may be because I've gotten so used to doing 60 minute insanity work outs and 60 -75 minute weight lifting sessions (x3 vids are all 30 minutes). I Think it's good if you just want to do a little bit of something, but aren't too worried about anything specific. Its good to have a routine. If you're looking for cardio, I'd stick with the shorter insanity vids. I think it's a much bigger heart rate blast. If you're looking for weight lifting, I'd probably do my own routine with home gym stuff and just do as much as you can. The nice thing about x3 though is that there's a greater range of videos, so that is nice. You can change it up a decent amount. Itll cover all the very basics and if you're eating right and doing everything as you should, but I don't think you're going to see a dramatic improvement. 

Side note - Pilates in p90x3 is like the hardest video ever. I thought that was going to be a joke when I started because I had gotten so much into yoga over the past few years. Not the case lol. I struggle mightily on that. 

I'm not looking for something to get ripped. I'm old, fat, and married. Only ok with 2 of those things though. I'm just looking for something to help lose the extra weight that I can do before work, or in a short amount of time I have after work before I have too much to do. I bought my wife a Treadclimber this weekend, so that will help with some cardio. I just don't have the time for the original P90X, which I was doing for a while before hurting my shoulder pretty bad.

Just now, MrDrew said:

I'm not looking for something to get ripped. I'm old, fat, and married. Only ok with 2 of those things though. I'm just looking for something to help lose the extra weight that I can do before work, or in a short amount of time I have after work before I have too much to do. I bought my wife a Treadclimber this weekend, so that will help with some cardio. I just don't have the time for the original P90X, which I was doing for a while before hurting my shoulder pretty bad.

I think if that's your goal, it will work fine. And like I said, the variety in the vids is welcomed. If you want intervals, there's the accelerator. CVX is sort of a weak cardio workout, but it involves small weights, so that it's definitely different from the other cardio moves. MMX is much better cardio than the previous kenpo vids they did in X and X+. There's still yoga, and I as I mentioned before, Pilates. Neither of those will get your heartrate up, but they are important components to not getting burnt out. There's also a "Core synergistics light"; I think it's called the warrior, which I really enjoyed. For what you're looking to do, I think it will work pretty well. The most important thing is going to be your nutrition anyway, so this is just going to be a bit of a boost, help you out in certain areas, etc. Like I said, it's good for a time crunch in particular. Eventually, you may want to move up, but I am a proponent of the workout bids. Certainly better than nothing, and every little bit will help.